Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho VoneR Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Tech Initiate

I know this is a bit late in the posts but getting to the tires again; I found that the V1 RR likes a softer compound tire up front. Never tried the solid axle.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: I remembered your post in the Trader feedback forum

Originally posted by popsracer
patelladragger;

I have a couple of friends that became enemies for life over a deal similar to your with Diva. They used to be Racing buddies and hung together all the time, but now they don't even speak to each other.

I've never had a chassis as thrashed as the one that Diva sent you. I think this guys cruises the message boards looking for suckers. (didn't mean you)
Pops please do not post this sort of rubbish in this thread. It is not your personal playground for posting bad things about people. There is email, PM, your own thread and the trader feedback thread if you feel that you need to vent. Since you own a whole bunch of HPIs I cannot see that you will be adding anything to the V1R discussion here.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

oh lord here we go again.

AMG it's not that serious man, let's just kill this before it gets started. Noone is blind at least 10 different rctech members have expressed the same or similar sentiment to me about that deal so it isn't a secret - no need to get riled up about it.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

It is cool patella, but this is NOT the thread to be using for this purpose. As you pointed out there are many Diva threads in the feedback area to discuss this. Lets keep the discussions in the right place.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AMGRacer
It is cool patella, but this is NOT the thread to be using for this purpose. As you pointed out there are many Diva threads in the feedback area to discuss this. Lets keep the discussions in the right place.
agreed. It's been so much good stuff happening in here lately no need to get off track.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by autotr8er
I know this is a bit late in the posts but getting to the tires again; I found that the V1 RR likes a softer compound tire up front. Never tried the solid axle.
Now thats something I have never found. You have any more details exactly what you mean there? Sounds like something to test out.

Solid axle is very tough to drive if you have anything other than excellent traction. Basically if you are off throttle and turn the car the back end will begin a slide. Obviously if you are sliding then you are washing speed off pretty rapidly with foam tires. Now this is actually the design! But you want to slide as little as possible to prevent speed loss. Also a slide will quickly become a spin if it gets going too far.

So the driving style is back off earlier (like driving a one way) adjust corner enrty speed, turn in which basically flicks the rear end out and washes speed, and then get back onto the gas to pull you around the corner.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Now thats something I have never found. You have any more details exactly what you mean there? Sounds like something to test out.

Solid axle is very tough to drive if you have anything other than excellent traction. Basically if you are off throttle and turn the car the back end will begin a slide. Obviously if you are sliding then you are washing speed off pretty rapidly with foam tires. Now this is actually the design! But you want to slide as little as possible to prevent speed loss. Also a slide will quickly become a spin if it gets going too far.

So the driving style is back off earlier (like driving a one way) adjust corner enrty speed, turn in which basically flicks the rear end out and washes speed, and then get back onto the gas to pull you around the corner.
yeah, that's the style but you just have to trust it's not going to come around. Actually for me I find I have more leeway in controlling the throttle with the solid than I have when running the stiff yellows setup. With yellow/yellow my car WILL spin out if i'm not right smooth, with the solid it just looks like it's loose but it won't come around unless you try hard to make it.

Also with the solid you don't have to kick the rear out unless you want to, for sweepers and corners where you want to carry the speed you can partial throttle through it and the rear stays planted with the proper setup. The BIG advantage I see for solid is the amount of juice you can give her on exit though.

You don't need big traction for it to work. Now if manti is running solid WITH yellow/yellow he's one helluva driver or his track has hella grip.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
He he . . Actually I'm reasonably sure he'd miss you. In fact, I've had cause to castigate him for being TOO polite on the track.
TOO POLITE, well i guess he does say sorry every time he hits you

His driving style is a kind of strange combination of hero worship for rjl mixed with Playstation agression.
There's his problem, worshipping the wrong guy

He will routinely get four cars before the first corner
I could be so mean here, but i'll let it go.
He does get good starts though, must be his glowplugs (in joke)

DC
Old 01-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Default Question about shock oils

Guy's;

Just so you know, I am currently racing a Reflex N/T which is the same basic design as the V1R so most everything that applies to the Kyosho will also apply to the Reflex.

Now my question, I have a couple of friends that run V1R's and they are using 100wt/80wt oils in the F/R shocks. What are your opinions on doing this? I am currently using 45/40 in my car and it seems to handle very well, but if there is somethingto be gained by going to the stiffer oils then........

Thank you,
Old 01-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Thank gawd for you, HAG.
Actually, I think the MTX-3 may well be a better car - slightly.
Will it make my driver (13 year old son) any quicker? - probably not.
Will he go faster with the AMG/Manti "MoneR" mod's? - if they work, probably yes.
Why? - because we have a lot of development time, experience and effort tied up in the VoneR.

I've watched (boy do I watch) a couple of the top guys down here struggle with the understeer of the MTX-3 box set-up. They've made some good headway with their development and undoubtedly will continue to do so.

We have the Vic's on in 4 weeks and the last thing I need is to sort a brand new car. I reckon I can make the MoneR mod's work in that time, though.
After the last year's Vic's we figured we needed three seconds per lap to get into the pointy end of the field for this year. Well, we got about 2.5 seconds of it, but didn't count on the top guys finding another second or so, also. - drat.
Besides, as I said, I've already bought five cars this year, and that's enough - ouch.

And here's another opportunity to repeat my creed:

Most of the differences between cars is at the transmitter end, not the receiver end.

So, what's the go with these Nitro Shoes - Japanese rubber, are they?
Don't thank God for me
I was just observing these people trying to make there car perform on a dusty track and pretty much threw in the towel after a couple of hours.
I do believe this car will and pronbably is a screamer...BUT I do need to get my but kicked a few times to believe before I shell out $350 for a new kit.

I also got a set of Nitro Shoes, will give them a go this weekend at the race
Old 01-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Well thats good to hear HAG! On many of our local tracks MTX3s have been breaking lap records, but I am beginning to think it is because people are upgrading from older cars. Serpent and Yokomo to be precice. The MTX3 is hands down better than these cars. The more I am doing to the Kyosho to make it like the Mugen (copycat?) the more it is performing well.
Its good to hear, but hears a thought are you pushing the R a little harder?

To be honest I think the rear Idea is a good one but I have to wait and see what uncle Manti comes up with because he drives on a small track like I do.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Manticore
Well, I am pretty sure we need traction to perform. V1R/V1RR is a very stable rear end car and that's why it performs better then the rest of it competitor on a low grip track.
Don't you think we all would like some traction on a practice day

I agree to a point Fokkies MTX2 was fine for a few laps and so was a Friend of mines NTC3.

I am not Bashing the new car, but with all the Boasting about it kind of made me scepticle....But I would like to try one for myself

Does any one drive on a BANKED OVAL that has the center turned into an infield like ME
Or are most of the tracks on a rather flat surface.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Question about shock oils

Originally posted by popsracer
Guy's;

Just so you know, I am currently racing a Reflex N/T which is the same basic design as the V1R so most everything that applies to the Kyosho will also apply to the Reflex.

Now my question, I have a couple of friends that run V1R's and they are using 100wt/80wt oils in the F/R shocks. What are your opinions on doing this? I am currently using 45/40 in my car and it seems to handle very well, but if there is somethingto be gained by going to the stiffer oils then........

Thank you,
The shocks on the reflex are completely different to those found on the v1r ..
If i remember the reflex ones have foam compesators in them ???
So it might be hard to comment on comparisons
If it helps running on med tracktion track running 60wt all round kit springs..
Old 01-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Default shocks on the reflex

chippy;

The standard Reflex kit has Aluminum pistons with 2 holes that are supposed to equal to the V1R stock pistons (supposed).
I have found that the Stock V1R black springs work best on the Reflex for most parking lot sized tracks.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
Its good to hear, but hears a thought are you pushing the R a little harder?

To be honest I think the rear Idea is a good one but I have to wait and see what uncle Manti comes up with because he drives on a small track like I do.
Well did a few more hours testing today up against somebody who is as good a driver as me who also owns a MTX3. I tested my mod on the track and this is what I found.

Big track, 1/8th style sweeping and not too tight. More rear camber link angle gave noticably less roll in the rear end and the car squared up better out of a sweeping corner. However some traction was lost. Put camber link back to normal and gained rear traction but the back end took longer to square up out of the corner.

FYI it was timed with transponders etc. My laptimes were almost identical to the MTX3 laptimes, we were using the exact same motor JP RS12, and I think I piped him on best lap on short and long track layouts by like 0.2 seconds if I recall correctly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.