Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho VoneR Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 04:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Rear Universal Shaft...

I am having some trouble with the one of my rear dog bone now...
i have to reduce the pillow balls' distance/gap of the rear suspension arm in order to keep the dog bone in contact with the drive cup...
I am going to get the Fivestar Rear Universal Shaft for RR.
Oh yes, btw is this shaft meant only for RR? I running a GRP sponge version V-1-R kit...
Thanks....
Old 12-02-2002, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by racer rich
Yes, I would definitely like to know the comparison of the MTX-3 and V-One RR too. While I am waiting for Control Centre to see if they can acquire all the items I am looking for I am debating whether or not to purchase a V-One RR or a MTX-3. I have a Reflex already, but really like the Floating Rear Body Mount from the RR so I am thinking of upgrading my Reflex.

patelladragger-

Please give us an honest testimonial of both cars. A V-One RR with some hop-ups is going to cost me about $500.00, so before I lay out that kind of money I would like to know if its actually worth it. Also, does anyone know if Kyosho will be releasing a new nitro sedan anytime soon?

In what areas does each particular car have advantages over the other? Do you think a V-One RR with a 24-tooth pulley conversion have greater straightaway speed than the MTX-3? I have heard that the MTX-3 has some gearing problems, and since I race on a fairly large track the MTX-3 might be outran down the straightaway. How is the handling of the MTX-3? Is it significantly better than the V-One RR, or not better at all? Any other entities in which you feel one car is superior over the other?

Sorry for the barage of questions! I would like to have some hands-on advice of both cars so any advice and suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Honestly - the MTX3 is a quicker, more stable car out of the box with kit setup and tires.

As far as speed the mtx3 may have an edge on a short/medium track, but I'd need to run it on a bigger to track to see what it would do on speed. The car definitely feels like it's internal ratio is set for acceleration more than top speed.

The MTX3 on initial assesment of parts quality - is not as durable as a V1R or RR. But it's also MUCH, MUCH lighter so there is a trade-off. The MTX3 has many adjustments that I have not seen on a 200mm nitro - this is good.

I have an RR that I can run as quick as the mtx3,
but it has 35mm rear tires and a lola body and a jp engine.

If I were buying a new car I would buy the mtx3. If I already had a kyosho and I didn't have a huge amount invested in it - I would sell it and buy the mtx3.

If I was very experienced and had a lot in my kyosho and ran on larger, flowing tracks mostly (175 foot+), or if I ran at a club that didn't require ROAR specs I would keep the kyosho.

On a side note I let a friend of mine who has been racing 20 some years drive my kyosho V1R that has been lightened to 59oz running the STS mod. He was very quick down the str8 and could
carry more speed through the sweeper at the end of the str8 then I could in the mtx3. However in the infield with the switchbacks the mtx3 would eat him up everytime. He IS a much better driver than me. We were both running protoform stratus.

The mugen has that uncanny feeling of driving an electric sedan on steroids - without the torque steer and other problems you get with ntc3. The yokomo gt4 driver that usually dominates told me the mtx3 looked like I was sitting in the car driving it. I Tq'd him by almost 2 laps and I've never beaten him before when he drives his yokomo and both of us finished - I've beaten him with my RR over his ntc3 - but never his yokomo before this weekend.

The verdict is out on the durability of the mtx3 though. I ran the car twice at the races. Once in the second qualifier
and TQ'd - no touches of anything. Once in the main and got hit 3 minutes in and the car broke with the rear link that connects the knuckle popping out.

That's not a good sign so I will do what I can to shore up the threads on everything.

If ROAR does allow 200mm outlaw to run with 235's I'm going to hang on to the kyosho's and see if they will hang with the impacts. But if you're fighting a ROAR battle
you're going uphill off the bat if you're going up against these mtx3's.

You have to remember this is box stock with very minor alterations of kit setup. Once time is spent dialing these
cars in they are going to be very tough to contend with. Yes - it's all about the driver, but make no mistake, the driving is a hell of a lot easier when the car handles
and transitions so easily.

I'm not blowing smoke I have no stake in hyping the mugen - I was actually hoping it wasn't noticeably better so I could put it on ebay and feel content with my kyosho's.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:31 PM
Regional Moderator

Thank you very much patelladragger for that very informative and in-depth assessment of both cars.

I really had no idea of how well that car really handled. I just thought it had some minor advances, and pretty much was better depending on the driver. Evidently it is quite a revelation in the handling of nitro touring cars.

I have one final set of questions. Basically these will be regarding a comparison of the V1R and V1RR. I currently own a Reflex, which is predominantly a V1R. The only difference between my car and a V1RR is a Floating Rear Body Mount.

Now I know you previously stated you own both a Reflex and a V-One RR, so I am thinking you have experienced the difference between the V-One RR chassis with a Floating Rear Body Mount and the V-One R chassis without a Floating Rear Body Mount.

Now the only reason I would want to purchase a V-One RR is to acquire the Floating Rear Body Mount. My Reflex is completely hopped-up with Centax Clutch, Trinity Gray-Composite Stiff Suspension parts, etc, so I really won't be using any parts from the V-One RR other then the Floating Rear Body Mount.

Now my question is as you ran both cars, the Reflex/V-One R and the V-One RR, did you notice any difference at all between the V-One RR with the Floating Rear Body Mount and the Reflex/V-One R without the Floating Rear Body Mount? Did the Floating Rear Body Mount give you any performance advantages that you can notice? Or does it give no noticeable performance advantages at all?
*Please note that I use 200mm touring car bodies, not LOLA bodies, so please give me your experience with both cars when you ran them with sedan bodies.

From your MTX-3 assessment I am very much inclined to purchase that car. The only thing that is holding me back is the money I have invested in my Reflex. I am thinking that adding a Floating Rear Body Mount to my Reflex will improve handling and performance, but I am not quite sure of this. I have heard some people say it is ineffective and poorly designed. Also, I have noticed that the newer cars on the market (MTX-3, Serpent 705) are not designed with Floating Rear Body Mounts. You would think that if a Floating Rear Body Mount gave any noticeable advantages (for use with a touring car body) that manufacturers would include this in these car's design, but they have not. Is it true that Floating Rear Body Mounts are really for only use with LOLA bodies?

Thank you once again for considering to answer all of these questions. I really appreciate all your help and advice!
Old 12-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

I cant say about the VoneRR but with the Serpent Impulse the car felt more planted at the rear and due to the extra stability you are able to go far faster in the corners.

I have been using the floating mount since 1989 when BMT introduced it to 1:8th scale. Just look at the results it brought them when Serpent where struggling to keep up.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by modellor
I cant say about the VoneRR but with the Serpent Impulse the car felt more planted at the rear and due to the extra stability you are able to go far faster in the corners.

I have been using the floating mount since 1989 when BMT introduced it to 1:8th scale. Just look at the results it brought them when Serpent where struggling to keep up.
I think the serpentee will be pleased if you put this post at a serpent thread !
Old 12-02-2002, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Thank you very much patelladragger for that very informative and in-depth assessment of both cars.

I really had no idea of how well that car really handled. I just thought it had some minor advances, and pretty much was better depending on the driver. Evidently it is quite a revelation in the handling of nitro touring cars.

I have one final set of questions. Basically these will be regarding a comparison of the V1R and V1RR. I currently own a Reflex, which is predominantly a V1R. The only difference between my car and a V1RR is a Floating Rear Body Mount.

Now I know you previously stated you own both a Reflex and a V-One RR, so I am thinking you have experienced the difference between the V-One RR chassis with a Floating Rear Body Mount and the V-One R chassis without a Floating Rear Body Mount.

Now the only reason I would want to purchase a V-One RR is to acquire the Floating Rear Body Mount. My Reflex is completely hopped-up with Centax Clutch, Trinity Gray-Composite Stiff Suspension parts, etc, so I really won't be using any parts from the V-One RR other then the Floating Rear Body Mount.

Now my question is as you ran both cars, the Reflex/V-One R and the V-One RR, did you notice any difference at all between the V-One RR with the Floating Rear Body Mount and the Reflex/V-One R without the Floating Rear Body Mount? Did the Floating Rear Body Mount give you any performance advantages that you can notice? Or does it give no noticeable performance advantages at all?
*Please note that I use 200mm touring car bodies, not LOLA bodies, so please give me your experience with both cars when you ran them with sedan bodies.

From your MTX-3 assessment I am very much inclined to purchase that car. The only thing that is holding me back is the money I have invested in my Reflex. I am thinking that adding a Floating Rear Body Mount to my Reflex will improve handling and performance, but I am not quite sure of this. I have heard some people say it is ineffective and poorly designed. Also, I have noticed that the newer cars on the market (MTX-3, Serpent 705) are not designed with Floating Rear Body Mounts. You would think that if a Floating Rear Body Mount gave any noticeable advantages (for use with a touring car body) that manufacturers would include this in these car's design, but they have not. Is it true that Floating Rear Body Mounts are really for only use with LOLA bodies?

Thank you once again for considering to answer all of these questions. I really appreciate all your help and advice!
the floating mount helps, but on the V1R/RR, not much. Things like setup and tires play a much more critical role than that little extra. For a long time I could drive the V1R faster and more consistent than I could the RR. I finally learned the RR's and how to drive a solid-axle, but really I wouldn't buy the whole car just to get that mount - at least not the way it is designed on the V1RR.

It's a strong car and it can be very fast in the right hands - but don't buy it for that mount. Maybe ah10 will design one for the kyosho.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Well I had a very good chance to compare the V1RR with a MTX3 today. I am running an OS TR engine in my V1RR vs a kit stock MTX3 with a JP RS12. Track is flowing and medium tightness with 2 long straights. I was running more or less stock V1RR with yellow front and gold rear spring is only difference.

No timing equipment was set up so I cannot tell you the exact figures but my V1RR held its own very nicely, mayby a little better than the MTX3. Slightly less speed in a straight line, mainly due to engine, but it transitioned and cornered as well if not better. So I am relieved for now
Old 12-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Well I had a very good chance to compare the V1RR with a MTX3 today. I am running an OS TR engine in my V1RR vs a kit stock MTX3 with a JP RS12. Track is flowing and medium tightness with 2 long straights. I was running more or less stock V1RR with yellow front and gold rear spring is only difference.

No timing equipment was set up so I cannot tell you the exact figures but my V1RR held its own very nicely, mayby a little better than the MTX3. Slightly less speed in a straight line, mainly due to engine, but it transitioned and cornered as well if not better. So I am relieved for now
good deal AMG. I'm glad to hear that. I can feel better too. You need to send me your setup for your RR
Old 12-02-2002, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by patelladragger
good deal AMG. I'm glad to hear that. I can feel better too. You need to send me your setup for your RR
I really think it is the track. The MTX3 is dang nice tho, first car to make me consider selling the V1.

Setup is nothing special:

Front:
Toe Out: 1.5 degree
Camber: 2 degrees
Caster: 6 degrees (yes believe it or not this works best on this track?!?!?!)
Track: 198mm
Spring: Fantom light yellow
Oil: 70 wt
Height: 5mm
Bar: medium setting
One-way diff

Rear:
Toe in: 2.5 degree
Camber: 3 degrees
Track: 200mm
Spring: Gold
Oil: 50 wt
Height: 5mm
Bar: Black
Diff gear with 10K

Crowd Pleazer Body
Old 12-02-2002, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by modellor

The V1RR floating mount really is one of those nice to have things. It sure cannot hurt, but the MTX3 and other cars do very very well without it!!! Don't discount a car purely for the turret mounting system.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

I was needing help in putting toghter a clutch for a v1rr that I got from a racer I just need the derections to see if I am getting it right your help would be helpful thanks
Old 12-04-2002, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default floating mount

i race here with vds/lola body on my RR, lap times were increased of cors on a lola body(3-4 sec), considering its huge amount of downforce it provides. if u install the floating mounts,u can still run ur car with a touring shell,i just forgot the part number of the 2 small body posts u will install on the floating mount, but keep in mind, these posts can easily break-up coz it rely only on a small screw so i suggest u use the shock towers when using a touring shell

Old 12-04-2002, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by emt152
I was needing help in putting toghter a clutch for a v1rr that I got from a racer I just need the derections to see if I am getting it right your help would be helpful thanks
emt If you have a fax I will fax them to you. send me an email.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Default big blocks

I think I remember way back when somebody tried to put a big block in a V1R. I remember they couldn't do it. Does anybody know if a big block can in any way be crammed into a vone?
Old 12-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: big blocks

Originally posted by patelladragger
I think I remember way back when somebody tried to put a big block in a V1R. I remember they couldn't do it. Does anybody know if a big block can in any way be crammed into a vone?
I am sure if someone had the right equipment, it could be done,
I think maybe redesigning the chassis plate and motor mounts and maybe the side stiffiner you could put a .21 in it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.