Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho VoneR Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by Manticore
I need an elderly race E final !
I think Fokkie would have a hard time seeing his car on the back straight, its pretty big. We are pretty lucky down here, we have awesome tracks all over the place.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by asd
sorry i cahnge names, it was just that i was getting bored of te name ponky wonky

I am sure there are people in this forum has a couple of degrees like you do and has many more years of engineering experience under their belt, but do you see them rub it on people's face because people don’t agree with them?

You asked Manticore “Do you even read the posts?”, he answered “I have gone thru 4000+ post on this thread since last August. have you?”. I don’t see how Manticore offended you by telling you he had read all 4000+ posts on this thread. You maybe bright and everything, but try to listen sometimeI am sure there are people in this forum has a couple of degrees like you do and has many more years of engineering experience under their belt, but do you see them rub it on people's face because people don’t agree with them?
waht he said...
Wasn't trying to rub anything in someones face PW. Just trying to tell M.. that I know what I'm talking about and not just speaking to speak. I wasn't offended by the 4000 posts comment. That's the bad thing about these forums is that the meanings are lost so easily in a medium such as this.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Ah10
Hey look! you need to open your eyes! I did not say Driving Skills, I said Driving Habbit!

Next time please open your eyes before you start bashing on other respectable ppl around this forum!
Man all of you here are so sensitive.... Hey man, I was just joking around with you.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Tech Initiate

AMG and Sparksy: Hey guys, I have the same situation with the back end trying to come around in the middle of the turn, but I use it to my advantage on the small tracks. I just let the back end slide a little and apply a little throttle to keep it in the turn. I didn't think about the thinner oil in the diff. I'll have to check it out.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by AMGRacer
It is a common misconception about the negative diff that it only locks up when the right wheel spins. This is in fact incorrect. The diff has a centrufugal clutch in it which has no spring attached so any time the diff is rotating forwards these shoes are touching the diff case. As the torque forces on the diff increase (ie. under hard acceleration) it forces the shoes outwards harder against the diff. The same happens when the diff is spinng very quickly. So under hard acceleration and at high speeds the shoes are forced against the diff case hard and prevent the right wheel from spinning as quickly as it would like and adds to the general stiffness of the diff in a similar fashion as adding stiffer oil will.

Can I feel this when driving? Sure can. The car goes into a corner off power very nicely because of the light 10K oil I use then when I gas it hard (and the shoes bite to the case) the diff gets a whole bunch more resistance into it and the car then gets a tendency for mild oversteer (depending on your setup) which makes your tail end corner more quickly and more stable. The basic effect is a more stable tail end under power.

Is the effect mild? Sure is you have to be a good driver and have a well set up car to feel it. The negative diff NEVER locks up the diff like a solid will.
For the clutches on the neg. diff. to engage, it requires rotation to generate centrifugal force. The clutch shoes are attached to the right axial only (this axial is also connected to the main body of the diff. but this axial can still spin independently) and the required centrifugal force can only generated by rotating that axial. This can be illustrated by holding the right wheel study and spin the neg. diff. housing. Doesn’t matter how fast you spin the neg. diff, the clutches on the right axial will not engage. The right axial is at rest, no rotational movement, and no centrifugal force to push the clutches out. Bottom line is that the clutches will engage only when the right axial spins, either it is spinning by itself or it is spinning along with the diff.

Assuming the followings:

Mass of each clutch shoe: 0.002 Kg
Rotational Radius: 0.0127 m
Final Drive Ratio, 1st Gear: 7.58 :1
Contact area of each clutch shoe to the diff. housing: 0.46 cm X 0.46 cm

When the engine RPM is at 17000, each clutch shoe will exert approx. 0.315 lbf on the diff. housing over an area of 0.21 cm^2. Total pressure exerted on the housing will be 1.37 kgf/cm^2 (19.44 psi). Is this pressure strong enough to “lock” up the axial to the diff. housing and turns it into a solid axial? I really don’t know, you decide.

p.s. these calculations may have a margin of error over 50%, so please don’t hold me to it.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Well you have to determine what the coefficient of friction is on the clutch. Difficult to find without knowing exactly what material it is. Remember to use dynamic while the clutch is sliding and static when the clutch is engaged. Calculate the torque required to make the clutch slip at the median RPM range and if it exceeds the torque value calculated at the tires, then you will have slip in the clutch. Else, it acts just like a solid axle.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Any good suggestions for getting tyres online? Specifically foam tyres, Elligy or Fast tyres.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:34 PM
RC
Tech Apprentice

calimassive Any good suggestions for getting tyres online? Specifically foam tyres, Elligy or Fast tyres.
speedtechrc.com
Old 10-09-2002, 02:42 PM
RC
Tech Apprentice

Calimassive:

also check out UFRA tires, they are the same as the Elligi tire but they come in white, and they are cheaper.

Do you hit Revalation? If so, they stock them on site for like $13 a pair.

Speedtech also carries the ZAC tires, I've found them to be stronger than the Elligi/UFRA.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RC
Calimassive:

also check out UFRA tires, they are the same as the Elligi tire but they come in white, and they are cheaper.

Do you hit Revalation? If so, they stock them on site for like $13 a pair.

Speedtech also carries the ZAC tires, I've found them to be stronger than the Elligi/UFRA.
The Zac's have awesome foam, but soft wheels. Also the rears only come in 26mm and 32mm. Like I mentioned before Ellegi, Fast, UFRA, and GRP are all the same.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

yo Kev check your mail man!!!

The zac foams are very very good. I haven't found their wheels to be as strong as jaco's or CRC's, but they are stronger then ellegi's for sure.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:20 PM
RC
Tech Apprentice

ZAC now supplies 30mm rears.

I heard something about the ZAC Japanese foam is much harder than regular.

Does anyone know if this is true for the Elligi/UFRA/Fast/GRP lineup? That is, does a ZAC 42 shore front have the same density/hardness as a Elligi/UFRA/Fast/GRP 42 shore front?
Old 10-09-2002, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the suggestions RC and Kev2. I havent gotten out to Revelations yet. I've yet to drive my car. but I plan to get out there soon and check out the scene. A little intimidated to be honest.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:43 PM
RC
Tech Apprentice

I know what you mean about the intimidation factor. The sound alone of those 1/8 on the track coming around, gets my leg shak'n like an Elvis impersonation.

Try to go on a weekday or in the morning when it's less crouded, and you'll be able to actually hear your car and know what it's doing.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RC
ZAC now supplies 30mm rears.

I heard something about the ZAC Japanese foam is much harder than regular.

Does anyone know if this is true for the Elligi/UFRA/Fast/GRP lineup? That is, does a ZAC 42 shore front have the same density/hardness as a Elligi/UFRA/Fast/GRP 42 shore front?
Oh really, cool! I'm trying to find the proper durometer to take readings, but yes I think the ZAC 42's feel a bit harder than my Fast 42's. When I say feel, it's by how it drives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.