Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho VoneR Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: V-1-R Setup comments...

Originally posted by RClover

U mean 30 K front and 5 K rear?

But, i am running the front-way. Not sure what's the grease wt as in the kit. Mine is a GRP Version (Gold Label) with Sponge tyres, front oneway and sway bars.
I think that you should try between 5K and 30K in the rear diff. This is what Kyosho recommends.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Zac tyres GOOD, wheel not so good if you run a one-way, the run out of the wheel south after a day of practice.

I wish the wheel would stay true because I have a lot of tread left
Old 09-02-2002, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

My preference is the Ellegi family of tires. I use FAST mostly and sometimes Powers. I use 40 shore f/r in the main on a medium grip track. I use the 26mm and 30mm tires. My advice is to ue the dish rims not the spoke rims however, the dish rims seem to stay true longer.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: V-1-R Setup comments...

Originally posted by AMGRacer

If 35 is all that works on your track then that is OK as well!

absolutely. I may have a bug up my hiney but all I was trying to say was don't be afraid to try whatever works. AMG you have done a little backtracking off your earlier contention that 35's are for use only when desperate and that if you have to use 35's your can't tune your suspension otherwise.

This isn't a setup war cause if you look at it we both at some point advised rclover to use harder tires - I just didn't agree with going so far as to say never use a certain shore. If Ralph Burch uses 35's, and I've seen some blistering short races run on them with my own eyes and AMG tells me never to use them because they're too "squirmy" - hmmm......

Manticore did you already have that post saved? I've been trying to log on to Starting Grid since yesterday and can't get on.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

My preference is the Ellegi family of tires. I use FAST mostly and sometimes Powers. I use 40 shore f/r in the main on a medium grip track. I use the 26mm and 30mm tires. My advice is to ue the dish rims not the spoke rims however, the dish rims seem to stay true longer.
I've heard good things about the Ellegi line of foam tires. Anyone know where I can order some online (Hong Kong maybe)? Every where I've checked (here in the United States), they run about $17-20, and for race day you usually need 2-3 sets (1-2 for practice and the heats and 1 set for the mains). That's about $60-80 bucks for one day, a little more than I'd like to spend. I've heard you can get them over seas for $6-8 per set.

BTW - Are you running the short dogbones in the rear with wide hub with the 30mm tires or are you just running the rear wide hub?
Old 09-02-2002, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: V-1-R Setup comments...

Originally posted by patelladragger

absolutely. I may have a bug up my hiney but all I was trying to say was don't be afraid to try whatever works. AMG you have done a little backtracking off your earlier contention that 35's are for use only when desperate and that if you have to use 35's your can't tune your suspension otherwise.

This isn't a setup war cause if you look at it we both at some point advised rclover to use harder tires - I just didn't agree with going so far as to say never use a certain shore. If Ralph Burch uses 35's, and I've seen some blistering short races run on them with my own eyes and AMG tells me never to use them because they're too "squirmy" - hmmm......

Manticore did you already have that post saved? I've been trying to log on to Starting Grid since yesterday and can't get on.
You express yourself by attacking others and using liberal sarcasm in your posts, also putting words into others mouths. I have done no backtracking you are the only one that claims I said NEVER to use under 40, I said TRY and use over 40 for the reasons that I explained. I have used 37 myself before a few times, and also the kit 36 and 35 shore and they make the V1R less stable. If you disagree fine, but really there is no need to add all your sarcastic rubbish to your posts. Ralph Burch was talking about a a 1/8th SERPENT BTW. They usually use much lower shore tires for various reasons.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by DCR1TWO

I've heard good things about the Ellegi line of foam tires. Anyone know where I can order some online (Hong Kong maybe)? Every where I've checked (here in the United States), they run about $17-20, and for race day you usually need 2-3 sets (1-2 for practice and the heats and 1 set for the mains). That's about $60-80 bucks for one day, a little more than I'd like to spend. I've heard you can get them over seas for $6-8 per set.

BTW - Are you running the short dogbones in the rear with wide hub with the 30mm tires or are you just running the rear wide hub?
They have KILLER prices here http://shopping.rcmodel.com.hk/eshopping/default.htm $6-8 for a set of foams. Man you guys in the US are getting killed on foams!!

Yes I am using the stock V1RR GT setup which is the wider hubs and shorter dogbone. They fit on perfect.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:12 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: V-1-R Setup comments...

You express yourself by attacking others and using liberal sarcasm in your posts, also putting words into others mouths. I have done no backtracking you are the only one that claims I said NEVER to use under 40, I said TRY and use over 40 for the reasons that I explained. I have used 37 myself before a few times, and also the kit 36 and 35 shore and they make the V1R less stable. If you disagree fine, but really there is no need to add all your sarcastic rubbish to your posts. Ralph Burch was talking about a a 1/8th SERPENT BTW. They usually use much lower shore tires for various reasons.
oh yeah, ralph was talking about 1/8 which has comparatively low CG and with a power plant around 3 HP you need very sticky tires.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
Zac tyres GOOD, wheel not so good if you run a one-way, the run out of the wheel south after a day of practice.

I wish the wheel would stay true because I have a lot of tread left
I had the same problem with rubber tires, but not because of a one-way, but because of the boards. It didn't seem to matter what type of rim I was using, if I would just slightly tap the boards, they would not stay true. It got to the point where I had to purchase 2-3 sets of rubber tires and rims every race day, because all of rims would no longer run true. That's why I switched to foams. If I'm going to spend that much money on rubber tires, I'd might as well run foams.

Now, I just need a tire truer. Has anyone tried the Ofna Automatic Tire Truer? I've heard it's a pretty good unit, and about $200 bucks less than the Hudy.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

not true, the only attack made was your asssertion that I must not know how to tune my suspension if I ran 35 shore tires. If I had attacked you anywhere you would have posted it. You posted that 35's are to be run only if desperate, and then posted that most experienced racers will tell you never to run them. I disagreed and you apparently don't take too kindly to being disagreed with. The only thing remotely negative I said is that it's crazy to be telling someone a hard and fast rule about what shore to not use....and it is. Even if Ralph was referring to 1/8 I suppose if you send him an email he's going to agree that you run 35's in 200mm only if desperate?

bottom line is I don't know everything about RC cars - and I don't try to pretend like I do either.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by DCR1TWO
Now, I just need a tire truer. Has anyone tried the Ofna Automatic Tire Truer? I've heard it's a pretty good unit, and about $200 bucks less than the Hudy.
Actually they are manufactured by q-world http://www.q-world.com.tw

I have the semi-automatic model and it is pretty nice!!

Quality is obviously not as good as the Hudy item but it cuts cleanly and accurately. The depth gauge is WAY off you have to allow about 5mm more then it reads. Also the arbours are a little too big on some rims, have to force them on a little.

But for the Bux it is a bargain.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:20 PM
Tech Adept

They have KILLER prices here http://shopping.rcmodel.com.hk/eshopping/default.htm $6-8 for a set of foams. Man you guys in the US are getting killed on foams!!

Yes I am using the stock V1RR GT setup which is the wider hubs and shorter dogbone. They fit on perfect.
Great! Thanks for the info. Do you know what they charge for shipping? I'd hate to pay $6-8 bucks for a set of foams, only to pay $45 in shipping.

BTW - Does the V1RR come with a wide front bumper? I'm thinking that might help keep my tires running true, in case I tap the boards.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:26 PM
Tech Adept

Actually they are manufactured by q-world http://www.q-world.com.tw

I have the semi-automatic model and it is pretty nice!!

Quality is obviously not as good as the Hudy item but it cuts cleanly and accurately. The depth gauge is WAY off you have to allow about 5mm more then it reads. Also the arbours are a little too big on some rims, have to force them on a little.

But for the Bux it is a bargain.
I ran across their website also, I thought their tire truer looked familiar. Any idea on cost and where to get them from? I've viewed their website, but i got the impression that they only sold them to distributors or companies direct (like ofna).
Old 09-02-2002, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

go here for good prices on ellegi foams in US
http://www.gasrccar.com/

$10 and $11 in u.s.

You can order overseas but you will have to buy in bulk to offset the shipping. Good to go in with someone and get at least $150 worth.

I've tried nearly all of them and those yokomo multi-rings are awesome on a prepared track. On low traction tracks the jaco nitro shoes and the Zac projects have worked best for me. If you're looking for maximum rear traction and don't have to be legal the CRC 35mm Rears have incredible grip - the rims hold up well too.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by patelladragger
go here for good prices on ellegi foams in US
http://www.gasrccar.com/

$10 and $11 in u.s.

You can order overseas but you will have to buy in bulk to offset the shipping. Good to go in with someone and get at least $150 worth.

I've tried nearly all of them and those yokomo multi-rings are awesome on a prepared track. On low traction tracks the jaco nitro shoes and the Zac projects have worked best for me. If you're looking for maximum rear traction and don't have to be legal the CRC 35mm Rears have incredible grip - the rims hold up well too.
Thanks for the info! I might give them a try. Do you know the part number for the Ellegi foams. I checked their website, and I could only find one listing for the Ellegi foam tire for touring cars and all it says is firm (No shore rating or designation between front or rear) The only other Ellegi, I could find listed were for 1/10th 235mm cars, not sure if those would work.

BTW - Is everyone running 30mm in the rear? I've been meaning to try them, but I'd like to keep my car setup with the standard dogbones, so I can still run rubbers during practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.