R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Suspension Bottom Out (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/166702-suspension-bottom-out.html)

RaceANissan616 06-05-2007 03:31 PM

Suspension Bottom Out

Along with my carburetor problem, found here, I have an issue with my suspension as well. I have a Hpi Nitro Rs4 3 18ss (that's a mouthful), and I'm not too sure why I've been having problems, I've built two hpi kits prior, but this one being the first nitro...On the highest settings, my chassis scrapes the ground. I have spent hours trying to adjust suspension but have only found out how to make it lower, which is bad right now. Any rs4 owners that have had the same issue? I still need to get the engine running so don't worry, I haven't been running it with the chassis scraping the ground ;)

Rapid Roy 06-05-2007 03:42 PM

You shouldn't be having any problem with ride height. Double check your shock lengths with the instructions. Also make sure that the shock mounting locations are correct.

RaceANissan616 06-05-2007 04:14 PM

I have excess space in the shocks where the springs do not fill up, I would need to shorten the length of the shock to make it flush with the spring...wrong size springs maybe?? I can't thnk of anything else:confused:

dnitro 06-05-2007 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by RaceANissan616 (Post 3371536)
I have excess space in the shocks where the springs do not fill up, I would need to shorten the length of the shock to make it flush with the spring...wrong size springs maybe?? I can't thnk of anything else:confused:

There should be plastic shock inserts (collars) tha come with the kit. Use them and your problem shoud go away.

RaceANissan616 06-05-2007 04:35 PM

Yeah I know, but there's only 1 inserted into the 2 front shocks in the manual, and I'm gonna need like 3 at least...odd?

Rapid Roy 06-05-2007 04:52 PM

Check the part numbers you used in building the shocks. You can also check the part you used against the parts size reference along the margin of the manual.

RaceANissan616 06-05-2007 04:54 PM

Hmm...Alright I'll check that tomorrow, hopefully I used the wrong part haha, any other possible ideas?

devious17 06-05-2007 06:57 PM

RS4 has uneven weight distribution. the engine sits on one side and when the car takes a turn leaning towards the engine the chassis will scrape no matter what you do with the suspension to prevent that from happening,if you do managed to stop it from scratching most probably your suspension has uneven setting between both left and right in the end. Increase ride height and you will experience roll or unstable cornerin due to weight shifting.

To counter the problem I had on my RS4, I bought an MTX4 :D

RaceANissan616 06-06-2007 04:22 AM

haha nice solution, unfortunately that's not what I wanted to hear considering I haven't run this yet :(

asw7576 06-06-2007 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by RaceANissan616 (Post 3373397)
haha nice solution, unfortunately that's not what I wanted to hear considering I haven't run this yet :(

1. Longer piston shaft. You need to open the shock and bring the shaft to hobby shop to find longer one.

or 2. use Longer boots ( the black plastic that clips to suspension arms ).

RaceANissan616 06-06-2007 09:46 AM

yeah I'm thinking that it is the boots, because they have longer ones in the kit than the ones I have on currently, I'll try that when I get a chance, thanks

Delta9 06-06-2007 10:25 AM

Why didnt you use the kit ones in the first place??:weird:

devious17 06-06-2007 07:14 PM

longer shock shaft wont solve the problem either, the pistons going to visit the shock cap very often after that :D

RaceANissan616 06-07-2007 03:40 PM

They are from the kit! haha they're the part that HPI tells you to use that's why I'm confused in the first place...would the amount of oil in the shocks have anything to do with it? Cause at one point I had the o-rings in the wrong place haha and I lost oil :confused: