Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PERFECT BODY CUT OUT..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default PERFECT BODY CUT OUT..

Does anyone have an idea on how to make the perfect cut out for the top of your body on 1/8th scale, a template trick or anything for the mounting holes, fuel cap, roll bar, and filter, all help is appreciated thanks...
Old 10-03-2007, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

You can use a template from an old body (as long as it the same body), by simply cutting the old bodies sides off where the top meets the side (the lip).

I've gone around this a few different times, and I still find the best way is to take the motor out of the car and mount the body while it's clear. With the motor out, you can set the body on top of the body posts and move from side to side to get the correct side clearance (body to tires) and then the amount of overhang of the body to the front bumper (can play into handling).

Once you've cut the post holes for mounting the body, reinstall the motor and roll bar, and start small then slowly enlarge the holes for the motor/carb and roll bar to fit through the body.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Loveless
Does anyone have an idea on how to make the perfect cut out for the top of your body on 1/8th scale, a template trick or anything for the mounting holes, fuel cap, roll bar, and filter, all help is appreciated thanks...
I agree a template from an old body does the trick. Now if you attend BIG! races like winternats etc. you will find that the some of the TOP drivers will either give or simply throw away the slightly tranished bodies. Nothing wrong with taking one of those and make a template! Sweet
Old 10-03-2007, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default Cut outs

I have a lot of different body styles ranging from frizbee, central, R11, Kawahara, shadow. can i use this technique on all of these as well?.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

If I don't have a template from the same design body (Lola) and I need to lay out the cut-outs. Before I paint and the body is clear I set the car on a flat surface with the tires, body mounts and motor (minus the heat sink and filter) on and the roll bar off. I then line up the body where the tires work best and mark them, then mark the boy mounts, antenna, roll bar and fuel openings. For the motor I set the heat sink on top of the body lining it up with the motor and mark it and the filter and high end needle as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

The only problem with using an old body for a template is that it has usually been hit or damaged...hence "old body." Some of the body holes may have shifted slightly.

There is an expensive way of doing it: Use a new clear body as a template. That way you can mount it perfectly and even write comments on the body for readjusting the holes for future handling effects. Cut the sides off and only use it for cutting new bodies out. When you have a lot of bodies, this gets real expensive though.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Darint
You can use a template from an old body (as long as it the same body), by simply cutting the old bodies sides off where the top meets the side (the lip).

I've gone around this a few different times, and I still find the best way is to take the motor out of the car and mount the body while it's clear. With the motor out, you can set the body on top of the body posts and move from side to side to get the correct side clearance (body to tires) and then the amount of overhang of the body to the front bumper (can play into handling).

Once you've cut the post holes for mounting the body, reinstall the motor and roll bar, and start small then slowly enlarge the holes for the motor/carb and roll bar to fit through the body.
I agree with this post.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
If I don't have a template from the same design body (Lola) and I need to lay out the cut-outs. Before I paint and the body is clear I set the car on a flat surface with the tires, body mounts and motor (minus the heat sink and filter) on and the roll bar off. I then line up the body where the tires work best and mark them, then mark the boy mounts, antenna, roll bar and fuel openings. For the motor I set the heat sink on top of the body lining it up with the motor and mark it and the filter and high end needle as well.
I think I like this post the best.......gonna try it!!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Take a sheet of lexan and make the cut out template to have for future use. When I went away once I remember a guy making templates and he had several in his case all labeled. he made 3 from one small sheet of lexan.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Default Lexan thickness

Yo crunchone, i was thinking the same thing, soundslike a good idea, do you know what thickness lexan he used?.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Default lexan thickness

Sorry bro, Krunchone..
Old 10-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Loveless
Yo crunchone, i was thinking the same thing, soundslike a good idea, do you know what thickness lexan he used?.

It was an average density of lexan, noting special and all he did was pull the bag out with the name of the body and place it on the body trace it out and it was perfect when completed.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Also use a circle cutter for round cuts such as the wheel well.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

I use an old can of Pactra spray paint with sandpaper wrapped around it for the wheel wells and the hole for the motors heatsink and the INS box...

That can seems to be the perfect size and the holes are perfectly round and smooth
Old 10-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Default Cut outs

These sounds like some good ideas.