Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity Reflex-NT Team Edition vs. Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Serpent 705?

I am in the market for a 1/10 nitro touring car, money isn't really a problem and i've narrowed it down to either the Trinity Reflex-NT Team Edition or the Serpent 705. Which one would be better strictly for racing?

Thanks

Last edited by Accord; 04-17-2003 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Post Similar Q:

I asked a similar question to one of the workers at my LHS. He told me that most of the top cars are about equal, they can be tuned and set to do the same thing on the same tracks! Just some have more hop up options, some come with more hop ups, and person preference!
So for me I am going with the Mugen MTX-3!!! Gotta love that lay down servo!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Similar Q:

Originally posted by JusDamFast
I asked a similar question to one of the workers at my LHS. He told me that most of the top cars are about equal, they can be tuned and set to do the same thing on the same tracks! Just some have more hop up options, some come with more hop ups, and person preference!
So for me I am going with the Mugen MTX-3!!! Gotta love that lay down servo!!!

Good Choice! Join us in MTX-3 tread!
Old 04-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

I myself am a very happy MTX-3 owner.

But since you narrowed it down to the 705 or Reflex NT Team, I'll have to give the nod to the 705. The Serpent is of much better quality and Serpent offers way better support overall.

I would pass on any Trinity product. They always leave you hanging(remember Picco?) and parts are overpriced. I have a feeling they will come out with a new car soon too(Team Magic) BTW,do you really want a kit that has a photocopied manual?
Old 04-18-2003, 02:17 AM
Tech Master

Of the top cars out today, I, even though I drive a NTC3, would say the MTX3. Mugen's parts don't cost nearly as much as Serpents, and I've driven all over the south, and the ONLY Reflex I've seen was driven by Cyrul....

Best bet is to look around the track your going to run, see what is popular there, and what your LHS (Local Hobby Shop) stocks part-wise. Can't race if you can't get parts.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The 705 for what you get is not a good deal when compared to the Reflex team only. Parts for the 705 are hard to get at times. The car requires quite a bit of hand fitting to get the suspension free. The Reflex goes together extremely well and is extremely durable. The reflex is basically just a Kyoshos V-One RR with a few minor changes and is tuff as nails. Plus no hop-up parts to buy they are in the box. Instructions and supplements are not that hard to follow. But you can not go wrong with either car.

Later,
Old 04-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm set on the 705, I read a couple reviews and was very pleased. In one of the reviews, the guy stated that it was the first Serpent car he ever owned where he did not have to cut or grind anything to make parts fit. I've got a couple of questions...

1) Since the 705 does not come with an engine, what is the best possible engine I can put on it?

2) Does it come with a pipe?
Old 04-18-2003, 12:10 PM
DSR
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Accord

2) Does it come with a pipe?
It does not come with a pipe or header.
Great car though. I have this and an MTX-3, the Mugen is still sitting in the box. The 705 went together very nicely. I'm looking forward to putting the MTX-3 together as well.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Ive just bought a 705 and i have not had any problems during the assembly so far (and that includes the suspension). Im very impressed by the part-fitting, all is nice and tight!
Old 04-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just found out that my LHS has a 705 in stock right now, they are holding the kit for me and i'm picking it up tomorrow . They don't sell pipes, engines, or anything else for it though, so I will have to order all of that online. What pipe and engines does everyone reccomend?

Thanks,

John
Old 04-18-2003, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Accord
I just found out that my LHS has a 705 in stock right now, they are holding the kit for me and i'm picking it up tomorrow . They don't sell pipes, engines, or anything else for it though, so I will have to order all of that online. What pipe and engines does everyone reccomend?

Thanks,

John
Pipe I would reccomend a RD logic one pieces pipe or a RB one. Engine I would recommend a Nova Mega 5pt MS version or maybe a Novarossi S3, Mr-12(S1), or a S5.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

I'm loving my V-one-R right now and would recommend it or its sister car, the Reflex, to anyone. Both cars handle great and can be easily tuned to how you want it to perform. However, when it comes time for a new car, I've been looking at the 705 and the MTX-3. I'm leaning towards the MTX-3, because parts are cheaper and easier to get. (I also really like its design, looks like a baby MRX-3) I wanna know from people with Serpent experience how bad the hand fitting situation really is, and where to get parts. (I DO know that Serpent parts support is awful) Thanx!
Old 04-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I second what skibum said. The trinity isn't a bad car, but it's more important to have good part support.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:22 PM
DSR
Tech Apprentice

There is no hand fitting situation! I have not had to alter any parts to get them to fit properly on my 705. I have to say, the serpent instructions are far more superior to that of the Mugen. My MTX-3 is still in the box, but I have looked at the instructions a couple times and they are not very clear (black & white).

The very 1st step in the instructions for the MTX-3 are glueing the brake pads. Everyone on the forums say that there is quite a bit of brake drag, and that the pads need to be sanded down somewhat. I'm really not sure how much sanding needs to happen.

They both seem to be very nice cars. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Serpent parts are a little bit harder to find. But, I did notice on my previous serpent cars (impulse & impulse PRO) that the parts are pretty robust. I had several hard crashes and did not break a thing.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just went to my LHS today and picked up the 705, they carry TONS of spare Serpent parts, even more than HPI, Trinity, Associated, etc. They have a whole wall full of Serpent stuff they do online orders also, their website is www.mdiracing.com they're awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.