Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-2

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

I don't notice any loss in low end on that pipe. It seems to be about the same low end as a Paris Turboring pipe which is all low end.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

I didnt notice any loss of low end either.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Mr MTX
I didnt notice any loss of low end either.
Me either! may be there are way too many ways to overcome loss of bottom end punch, ie: lean the bottom end, set the centex clutch engage later, shorter gearing and such.............
Old 03-15-2002, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Ah10

Me either! may be there are way too many ways to overcome loss of bottom end punch, ie: lean the bottom end, set the centex clutch engage later, shorter gearing and such.............

So how do these .15 pipe compare to a x12 pipe?? Is there better midrange or topend or little of both.
Old 03-15-2002, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

hi all -----could someone give me a good setup for my MTX2. i purchased my mugen over the winter and i'm looking for a good starting point. it is basically stock, but i've added a belt tensioner, carbon disk brake, and alum. pulleys. also, what fuel do you recommend. thank you in advance for your help. i can't wait to drive this car.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by VinDollar

So how do these .15 pipe compare to a x12 pipe?? Is there better midrange or topend or little of both.
Topend is clearly noticable! X12 is more like a bottom end to midrange pipe.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TheBarber
hi all -----could someone give me a good setup for my MTX2. i purchased my mugen over the winter and i'm looking for a good starting point. it is basically stock, but i've added a belt tensioner, carbon disk brake, and alum. pulleys. also, what fuel do you recommend. thank you in advance for your help. i can't wait to drive this car.
There isnt anything you call a good set up! really depends on where you run your car, condition of the track, weather and such. But start out with the stock setting then fine tune it!

Odonnel all the way! but no more then 30%
Old 03-15-2002, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Default Mtx Die Hards???

Does everyone feel that their mtx-2 are up to the competion this year with all the other touring car released. If giving the chance would you change over if the price was right???

What do you guys feel about these other cars such as the ntc3, reflex, and such.
Old 03-15-2002, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

VinDollar

The tracks in my area recently started running "open" sedan class, so a lot of guys are still figuring out their setups. The Mugen cars have been very competive. I guess it also helps when they are piloted by Mike Swauger and Robbie Collins. There are NTC3's and Reflex's showing up and they are fast, but I don't think we have seen enough of what they can do to say that one is better than another.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes hard to say, Since a friend of mine told me he parked his serpent in favor of the TC3 and it was purely for performance reasons I have my eye on those heavy. If I get tore up at the first couple of races by those I will be getting one and parking the mugen. (waaaaahhhhhh!!)
I was told the car is utterly amazing out of the box. However my mugen is a long way from stock so we will see. I did watch another guy roll his across the hobby shop floor tonight and with a small push it rolled at least ten feet
Old 03-15-2002, 09:16 PM
Tech Initiate

i heard the ntc3 is real nice...tricky to setup though...i heard from a lot of people that the rear wants to push. but then that's where setup comes into play. i'm thinking about buying a mugen mtx-2. i don't care if it's out of date or wahtever. the serpent impulse has been around for years. it all comes down to driving, driving, and more driving, and then a lot of setup. plus i've seen my friend's mugen and god...that thing is a TANK. nothing has broken....except for a tweeked chassis. but that's pretty damn tough if the chassis bends before anything breaks. do you guys all agree that the mtx-2 is a durable car? i'm not a super driver, so i need a good car that will take a beating.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Motorman
yes hard to say, Since a friend of mine told me he parked his serpent in favor of the TC3 and it was purely for performance reasons I have my eye on those heavy. If I get tore up at the first couple of races by those I will be getting one and parking the mugen. (waaaaahhhhhh!!)
I was told the car is utterly amazing out of the box. However my mugen is a long way from stock so we will see. I did watch another guy roll his across the hobby shop floor tonight and with a small push it rolled at least ten feet
I see a guy at my lhs with one and i was commenting on that same thing. I just wanted to roll 4ever. There is no resistance on that drivetrain. It seem like it would spin like a gyro.

To:Turtle On Nitro

The mugen is a tank. I see it take some serious abuse and kept it moving while others are back in the pits.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Depite all the raves i'm hearing/seeing about the NTC3, i'm still keeping my MTX-2. This car has done me great for the past two years and it keeps getting better as I play with setups. It's tough too having survived many big crashes(cept' for the knuckles though). I'm still using the stock chassis that came with the car although it's a few grams lighter fom all the scraping on the track.

I still think it has what it takes to tackle all these new nitro touring cars successfully. The only disadvantages I can think of is it's radio tray layout. Hopefully my new layout Kawahara carbon fiber radio tray will improve it's balance.

As far as parts go, four out of six hobbyshops in my area stock most of the MTX-2's parts. No problem here.

I do agree that the NTC3 drivetrain is incredible though. Just a slight incline on your worktable and it's rolling off. Being an Associated car is a very big plus too.

Still, I think i'll wait for Mugen's redesigned MTX-?(whenever that is!). I'm sure it will be worth waiting for.
Old 03-16-2002, 07:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Default .

I have token some serious hits with my mugen and nothing happens. I hit the wall of the straighaway sweeper several times at 50mph by trying to take it too tight. The only parts that break is the front knuckle and sometimes the rear arm.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Freakah and Kool,

The knuckles are far less prone to breakage if you boil them in a pot of water on the stove for about 15-20 minutes. I do this to my bulkheads and shock towers too and haven't broken them in quite some time.

As for the knuckles, I speared a 25' double-stacked 2x4 that got swung out onto the straighaway at full speed!!! I thought my car was going to be a pretzel and I drove away with no problem. I ended up not having to replace a single part for a couple months straight and I race nearly every weekend, sometimes twice. Trust me, the old-school boiling trick works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.