Mugen MTX-2

Old 08-17-2002, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Re: Hammer

Originally posted by stefan
yes, if you have the regular clutch, they'll work and they are cheaper.

If you have the centax, you can use serpent 15/18
Serpent pinions on the Mugen centax???? They look totally different
Old 08-17-2002, 10:50 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Breaking of Parts

Originally posted by Ah10

You are right on the wide bumper, with the wide bumper it would probably save you from breaking upright or a-arms but the thing is all the stress are going straight to the chassis! I would rather spend less then $10 for both upright and a-arm instead of $60 for a new chassis!
One thing with the wide bumper is that it can bend "downwards" after an impact and drag on the ground. If you have a heat gun (or hot hair drier) you can bend up the front end slightly a bit like buggie style. Shave the lower half of the foam also.....this will work a lot better!
Old 08-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

stefan,do you know the part numbers for those serpent pinions that fit the mtx centax clutch,15 and 18.thanks ...i race my mtx on a small tight track"
Old 08-18-2002, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Anybody know's the factory carb needle setting for brake in a MT12T.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking of Parts

Originally posted by dtm

One thing with the wide bumper is that it can bend "downwards" after an impact and drag on the ground. If you have a heat gun (or hot hair drier) you can bend up the front end slightly a bit like buggie style. Shave the lower half of the foam also.....this will work a lot better!
You're right dtm, I always bend my large bumpers upwards, it prevents the bumper from dragging on the ground and also that I find it les damaging to the car. When I hit the wood work on the tracks, the car actually jumps over the wood work rather than right smack into it! and I have fitted an Impulse foam to my car.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Breaking of Parts

Originally posted by Racmark
Anyone here have the same problem as I do? I break either an arm or an upright almost every weekend! So much so that now I always carry spares in my field bag!
I understand that Mugen parts are made more brittle to prevent flexing or bending. Did not have so much problem with Kyosho. Very tempted to get Delrin parts but they are very costly.
Anyone have any solution, besides not crashing!?
Run your car slowly just like I do.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Racmark

Originally posted by stefan
1.) it's a very good idea to carry spares

2. Everything will brake if you hit hard enough

3. The Mugen is one of the sturdiest cars available.

Get a TC3 ad you'll start to appreciate the Mugen parts quality.
I totally agree with Stefan. I have MTX-2 and Impulse. So far, I haven't broken any part on the MTX-2, but have to replace many parts on Impulse already. And, as we all know, Serpent part is a lot more expensive than Mugen's.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Racmark

Originally posted by eddiethefish

I totally agree with Stefan. I have MTX-2 and Impulse. So far, I haven't broken any part on the MTX-2, but have to replace many parts on Impulse already. And, as we all know, Serpent part is a lot more expensive than Mugen's.
I drive the Impulse and I'm interested to know which parts you needed to replace and change because it broke. I would also like to know at which instance and how it broke.

I don't think you can make a general sweeping statement that x is better than y. It may be that you crash more with the Impulse... who knows? Unless you put both cars side by side, accelerate both at the same speed and crash directly to the wall, you cannot make any direct conclusions. You are of course entitled to your own opinion and that should be mentioned.

Yes, the Mugen is cheaper and I would say parts quality wise, they are about the same.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:23 PM
Tech Rookie

They better hold off on that MTX-3 until I get my brand new MTX-2 wore out. I just started building my ProSpec today.

I wanted to ask. What are some spare parts that I should get? What do you guys see as breaking the most often?
Old 08-19-2002, 11:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh, one quick question. The kit came with 600wt silicone oil and 30,000 oil.

Which one goes where?
Old 08-19-2002, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by gooseman271
Oh, one quick question. The kit came with 600wt silicone oil and 30,000 oil.

Which one goes where?
60wt for shocks and 30k for rear diff!
Old 08-20-2002, 05:34 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by gooseman271
They better hold off on that MTX-3 until I get my brand new MTX-2 wore out. I just started building my ProSpec today.

I wanted to ask. What are some spare parts that I should get? What do you guys see as breaking the most often?
Front and Rear hubs would be a good start.....the front hubs gets pulled out of the pillow ball if you crash hard.....the rear hubs can split at the thinnest point around the bearing......
Old 08-20-2002, 10:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Ah10

60wt for shocks and 30k for rear diff!

Dam thats why my car bounces and diffs out!!!
Old 08-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation New engine

Anyone heard about the replacment for the MT12 which is no more, its called the Mugen MR12S1?????????????????
Old 08-20-2002, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Racmark

Originally posted by InitialD

I drive the Impulse and I'm interested to know which parts you needed to replace and change because it broke. I would also like to know at which instance and how it broke.

I don't think you can make a general sweeping statement that x is better than y. It may be that you crash more with the Impulse... who knows? Unless you put both cars side by side, accelerate both at the same speed and crash directly to the wall, you cannot make any direct conclusions. You are of course entitled to your own opinion and that should be mentioned.

Yes, the Mugen is cheaper and I would say parts quality wise, they are about the same.
InitialD, indeed, has made a very good point, I admitted. Get yourself a MTX-2 and you'll see what I mean. From what you have stated, running two cars at the same time trying to prove what's better than the other is difficult. There're many unexpected variable factors involved.

Another point about quality on part, I do have to admit that Serpent part is more superior; nonetheless, Mugen is more in the durability. Well, of course, I cannot conclude what is better. But from owning two of them, that was my opinion re this issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.