Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do personal transponders cost 95 usd

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
Yes they do. Not only do they make a good product, but they covered avery angle. It's not just a little red box....legal fees cost $$$ too. Not defending them, its just part of it.
[/I]
plus we expect this little red box to withstand getting nitro/fuels on it, rain, vibration, racing abuse and huge crashes and no maintenance, plus be accurate/reliable each time we race and we also expect them to last forever ...maybe they arent that badly priced after all.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

when they first came out they were only 45 dollars new.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
If you are in need of copies of an old one This is the place to look I have 1 and it is great!!!!!!! Paul
Are talking about AMB cloning ?

Who sell AMB clones ( so I only remember 1 number for all cars ) ?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Ya know a lot of people post that (and everybody swears I'm making $91.99 ). But when they had just came out, AMB would sell them to me for $55 (they've been to court a few times too).

Bottom line is... there is no profit in them for the retailer! I try to Keep the price down because I don't want "house TP's".
Old 05-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

They have a thread open in the electric section Here
This is there website http://www.team-mrt.com/
They also got a new version coming out soon its in another thread
Stealth PT - New PTX Personal Transponder

Originally Posted by asw7576
Are talking about AMB cloning ?

Who sell AMB clones ( so I only remember 1 number for all cars ) ?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:00 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Perez
when they first came out they were only 45 dollars new.
Exactly. I bought mine for $55 back when they were the new, hot thing to have!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Tech Adept

Hi guys

Where is a good place to buy a PMB transponder?

Thanks

Acid
Old 05-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

buy direct from them
see link
http://www.amb-it.com/
Old 05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

The price of a personal transponder is ludicrous. There is now way there is 95 bucks worth of tech and legal fees in there. I have two and I'm holding out on purchasing a third until the PTX is released.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have 6 personal transponder right now and 2 were new and 4 were lightly used...I was just lucky that I picked up 4 of them from those local racer who quit racing cause they decided to do something else (paintball, fishing...etc) and each one of them were like $40-50 the most...the 1st 2 PT I've got they were new...it was like $65 back, WAY back when they 1st started w/personal transponder...then they were $75, $80, $85, $90 and $95....and still climbing.

To be honest, even for $90 right now...if I need another one, I would still buy it...AS LONG AS no one else making it....because, it you are selling it, you will have tons of PM from buyer that will pay $60+ for a used but working one...trust me, I don't see ANY RC ITEM has resale value like these personal transponder that were used more then a year....except my Taimya Bruiser.

The key is...resale value.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

All it would take is a little competition. Im suprised no one has come out with some replica or reverse engineered system. But right now were paying for something called a monopoly. Same goes with windows , its pretty darn exspensive. Why cause no one is competing with them and most likely cant due to patents and other things. It would be nice for them to be a little more fair to the rc community.....everyone could rally together and boycott them , thats about it...id like to setup something like this. But in reality I have a feeling it would work as well as the may 15th gas boycott which went by without a flinch in gas prices.

Its hard to get people to stop buying something they want or need....butperhaps if everyone was fed up. I know I want to run another class in racing and well just dont have 95 to drop on another amb.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

I think because of the devaluation of the dollar against the Euro. Same thing has been going on with engine prices.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

I understand that people will buy their own PT if they are serious about racing, and racing does cost lost of muuuulaaaa. I forked up 95 to get one myself.

But the point many of you are making are very legitimate. There is not $90 dollars of material and labor in there, not even 80 or 60 or 50. Its a small printer circuit board, with wires, and plastic cover. Come on!!! Off the top of my head you can get a motherboard for your PC, or a skateboard, or a boom box, or a nice cell phone or a kids bike. It doesn't add up
Its such a monopoly.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (98%+)
Red face

Fully agreed. It's just a matter of time.. more and more companies out there with much cheaper solutions. Is this technology patented?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dnitro
I understand that people will buy their own PT if they are serious about racing, and racing does cost lost of muuuulaaaa. I forked up 95 to get one myself.

But the point many of you are making are very legitimate. There is not $90 dollars of material and labor in there, not even 80 or 60 or 50. Its a small printer circuit board, with wires, and plastic cover. Come on!!! Off the top of my head you can get a motherboard for your PC, or a skateboard, or a boom box, or a nice cell phone or a kids bike. It doesn't add up
Its such a monopoly.

And i bet it cost little over a Dollar to produce, over in china

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.