Wiki Posts
Search

New Protoform Shadow 1/8th body

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 007kel
Geez, you start a red vs. blue thing on another thread and it haunts you everywhere else on tech I was just wondering if he tried the shadow with the protoform wing or not.
I used the Kyosho wing that I use on the Dome, and most other bodies. The Protoform wing tkes too much time to cut out nicely. Plus I like the screws that the Kyosho wings come with.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What effect cutting the corners on the rear of the body produces. I've seen people cut them, and others left them on. Im talking about the T530, the little corners in the back of the wing.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive use the shadow on a mugen mrx4-r and its steller. I normaly use the parma r10 witch is very stable heeps of rear and heeps of front depending on were you mount it. I had the parma set up about quite a bit forward of the bumper when i droped the shadow body on i braught it back slightly. it gave me more steer and about the same rear. I lack no speed in a stright line it would be slightly slower than a blitz high speed or t530 but for our low traction tracks it works very well nice and stable works a treat for me. It gave me what i needed for the race meet im running atm. I took a gamble and ran it untested into a race meet and its very good better then the parma front and rear but still very stable. Regards Jeremy.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grinder
I used the Kyosho wing that I use on the Dome, and most other bodies. The Protoform wing tkes too much time to cut out nicely. Plus I like the screws that the Kyosho wings come with.
I forgot to mention. The Kyosho holes in the body are in the wrong place. I ruined one of my Shadows. I ended up mounting it about 10mm more forward than the cutouts made into the body. That seemed to be perfect. The other way my front bumper sticks out in front of the body. I will test the body again today on some low traction. hehe
Old 06-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

The gamble payed off the body is great helped me win yesterday 359 rocked but the body defnatly helped me get what i needed alot. Wicked body just got to get that mounting right and it will give exactly what you need. Best Regards Jeremy
Old 06-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

My only problem with these bodies is you have to cut away alot for your brake linkage
Old 06-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gashuffer
My only problem with these bodies is you have to cut away alot for your brake linkage
What i did was rebend the right angle on the brake arm side and shortened the fuel tube on the servo arm side and it had plenty of clearence I also made a pice of fuel tube that went over my normal fuel tube for the preshure line so that covered the exhaust pipe nipple fully to stop it burning through the body. I will post some pic's soon i have to clean my car it is very dirty from a hard days racing. Regards Jeremy.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up On the Podium!

I just recieved word the Eli Ezrow TQ'ed and finished second in this weekend's round of the MidWest Series on the weekend (in Detroit) while using the Protoform Shadow racebody for the entire weekend.
A big "Congrats!" and thankyou to Eli for your efforts and valuable feedback.

ElliotCanada:
I'm looking forward to seeing you, Gary S, Wayne V and friends this weekend at the Canadian NITRO On-Road Nationals. There's a good possibility that there may be a few Protoform Frizbee's to look at as well. (these ol' CanAm racecar names are really "dating" us are'nt they - he he!) Sorry John.
http://www.svra.com/SVRA/PhotoGal.ns...ks/PHOR-6HJSQL

Dale - Protoform -
Old 06-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Dale - Looking forward to it. I'm anxious to see your latest creation.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

I have been running the Shadow for a couple of weeks. Two weeks ago at Toledo and this past weekend at the Midwest race in Detroit which was run on a parking lot track with pretty good traction.

At Toledo it did not turn as good as I wanted and I fixed that problem with tires (JACO 35 front and 38 rear), this past weekend it did not turn as much as I wanted and tires did not fix the problem. Eli got his car to turn better by removing the wicker but I didn't like that feel very much. I ended up moving the body forwad....a lot...I will have to measure it to find out the exact amount but it was in the range of 3/8 to 1/2 inch. I had originally drilled the mounting holes as indicated on the body.

My feeling is that there is a lot of downforce it was just a little more rear than front for me. Unless you are on a track that has very high traction such as Toledo on the last day of the GLC (anything works then) this is a great body, if you mount it too far back it will push unless your car has too much steering to start with.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Ted Flack;
The "un-balanced" situation with the Shadow is being addressed. It's taken quite a while for me to get enough information (racer feedback) and hear a fairly "unified" general consensus regarding it's performance charactaristics. I didn't want to over-react to mere hunches.

Thanks - Dale
Old 06-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Dale,

Perhaps a little adjustment to the mold to take some of the rear wing out would work, or perhaps some cutouts to let air pass through, with adjustable vents? Who knows?? I'm sure you have some ideas up your sleeve.

I'll be trying the Shadow at the CDN Nats this weekend. My WC Evolva has gobs of steering so I'll see how it reacts with this body as compared to the Dome body. I'll let you know my opinion compared to other bodies that I'll try back to back on Saturday.

fossil
Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

Link to the Canadian Gas Nationals:

http://www.ontariooneeighth.com/gas_nationals.html
Old 06-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Sick Paint by Jeremy Go
Attached Thumbnails New Protoform Shadow 1/8th body-cimg2838.jpg   New Protoform Shadow 1/8th body-cimg2839.jpg   New Protoform Shadow 1/8th body-cimg2840.jpg  
Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by daleepp
Ted Flack;
The "un-balanced" situation with the Shadow is being addressed. It's taken quite a while for me to get enough information (racer feedback) and hear a fairly "unified" general consensus regarding it's performance charactaristics. I didn't want to over-react to mere hunches.

Thanks - Dale
Dale,

I don't think I would call it "un-balanced", it may be perfect for guys with too much steering but if you want more steering all that is required is to move it forward. There is plenty of downforce, seems like a great problem to me, if you want rear balance put it on in one location if you want more front balance move it the other. Total is the key, as you have heard me say before "downforce is king every day in every way"!!!! This body give us the option of which end we want the balance to be.

Please don't take away total! If you want to do anything show two mounting positions on the body lines.

Ted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.