Ntc3 2-speed

Old 04-10-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default Ntc3 2-speed

i got all my stuff sorted out except that my 2-speed isnt shifting. the 2 screws are screwed all the way in and the instructions dont tell me how to adjust it. so what do i do?

basically right now my pixy has no top end, or no top end like it should because it feels stuck in 1st. especially considering i can slide the rear end at its top speed
Old 04-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Tech Adept

i dont know the answer to your question but post it here http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&pagenumber=83

you will have better luck there
Old 04-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

The instructions actually do say how to adjust it. The adjustments are listed at the end of the instructions - where it says how to adjust everything.

Go back and build the 2-speed EXACTLY the way the instructions say to. EXACTLY. then adjust a little at a time.

If you want it to shift earlier, then loosen the two adjustment screws (the ones that are NOT straight in)

If you want it to shift later, then tighten the two adjustment screws

Only go about an hour at a time.

(I think that's the right direction. . .it's late. . . )
Old 04-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Tech Addict

the further out u screw them, the sooner it will enage.

the tighter they go the later, so screw all the way in, it wouldnt shift at all
Old 04-11-2003, 06:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

If the two screws are screwed all the way in, then it IS stuck in first gear. I had the same problem. Back each screw out 1/4 of a turn and try it. Keep repeating this until the tranny shifts when you want it to. It may take a few complete turns of both screws before you hear / feel the tranny shift. Just make sure you back both screws out evenly. If you back one out a 1/2 turn, back the other one out a 1/2 turn.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

You guys are not being very clear... Are you talking about the screws the springs are on or the ones with the balls on them... The ones on the springs go 3 1/2 turns out from full tighten... then you set the the ones with the balls so they are evenly out and touch the shaft... from there your put in in the car and run it if it doesnt shift tighten it 1/4 turn (through the hole not by dissassembling) which will make it shift sooner... once you get it to shift its just a matter of setting it to your gear ratio and the length of your straight... Remember Tighter screws mean earlier shifting (if you over tighten it will be stuck in 2nd and it will damage your engine by putting it under stress...) Your going to want it to shift around the middle of the straight... make sure your engine is at a relatively high rpm... If your track has a big straight but really tight inside, make it shift later as you dont want it to shift on small insides... etc... you can figure it out from there... (and feel free to corect me... i only been doin this for like 4 months...)
Old 04-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

you loosen the two screws to make it shift earlier, tightening them puts more pressure on the springs and shoes, requiring more centrifugal force to engage 2nd gear. it has to spin faster to shift, therefore shifting later.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Your talking about the wrong screws... the ones the springs are on arent supposed to be adjusted... and the ones with the balls are adjusted by tightening to make it adjust earlier, as it pushes the clutch shoes closer to the housing to begin with... this also means that there is greater centrifigul force because the shoes are already rotating a greater distance meaning it would take less force to move the shoes outward over a shorter distance... It doesnt matter that the springs are tighter cause the shoes are already compensating as they are already spread some... Where as if you adjust the screws the spring are on it will tighten the spring without compensation.... the screws you are supposed to use to adjust are the ones you can set through the hole on the clutch housing... in the center of the top and bottom, not the ofset ones that connect the two shoes...
Old 04-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok... that's not the way my V-one-R was adjusted, or how it says in the NTC3 manual. page 32.
"TWO-SPEED ADJUSTMENT"
By increasing or decreasing the spring tension you can change the shift point of your two-speed. If you want the car to shift into second gear later, tighten down both screws equally 1/4 of a turnto increase the spring tension. If you want the car to shift into second gear sooner, loosen both screws equally 1/4 of a turn to decrease the spring tension. Run your car first before you make any adjustments to the two speed.

it later gives step by step instructions and says "...it will be a black screw at an angle..."
Old 04-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

they are the two offset screws you can see through the 2-speed bell housing. it sounds like you have been adjusting the wrong screws.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah i know i just looked... i was going by what i was told by my hobbyshop and the guy i bought my car from... And it has worked for me... im not sure if it maters but for me what i said works... but im sure what u say works 2... so it must not mater...
Old 04-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

ok let me start from the top to quell our little pissing contest

i knew from the very first posts that you adjust the little set screws. not the ones with the springs. the instructions say that

about looking at my instructions, i dont have them and dont know where they are. and this is the rtr kit

hopefully i have fixed my 2-speed, i have tested yet because my starter box died after i adjusted the 2-speed...dang 12V batts last forever...except when your tuning
Old 04-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

lol you got it backwards like me... even though adjusting the silver set screws works fine... you are supposed to adjust the spring screws...
Old 04-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Boomer
The instructions actually do say how to adjust it. The adjustments are listed at the end of the instructions - where it says how to adjust everything.

Go back and build the 2-speed EXACTLY the way the instructions say to. EXACTLY. then adjust a little at a time.

If you want it to shift earlier, then loosen the two adjustment screws (the ones that are NOT straight in)

If you want it to shift later, then tighten the two adjustment screws

Only go about an hour at a time.

(I think that's the right direction. . .it's late. . . )
and if have problems to remember witch one you turn before you buld it together paint one of them white so you remember witch you loose/ore tighten up
seeyaah
Old 04-12-2003, 07:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here's exactly what the instructions say...

To adjust your 2-speed (turn off your engine):
1. Lift the car and hold the spur gear in place with your thumb, the bell opening (3) facing up.

2. Turn the rear wheel slowly.

3. Watch for the adj. screw to appear in the opening of the 2-speed bell. It will be a black screw, at an angle. When looking at the front of the 2-speed, there will be a number 1 and 2 on the shoes where the adjustment screws are located.

3. Insert your Allen wrench and adjust as needed.

4.Remove you Allen wrench and turn the wheel again and repeat for the second set screw, adjusting it the same amount.

I scanned the section on pg. 32 of the instruction manual. It's not very clear, but it might help.
Attached Thumbnails Ntc3 2-speed-ntc3-two-speed0001.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.