Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oversteering... why? How to control that

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Oversteering killer.

If you're suffering oversteering, try to stiffen the front sway bar and put 0º degrees of toe-out.

If suffering of oversteer getting out of the turns I'll try to put less caster on the front.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default Oversteering... why? How to control that

Toe out will cause the Steering to be more aggressive entering a corner. Baseline set-up should be -0- Front Toe.

If your running on a Parking Lot and having oversteer problems, I would say traction is less than ideal. Try Changing your REAR Toe to 3-4 degrees depending on the track size and availible bite. For a Large Permanent track and Foams, 1-2 degs is normal.
Adjust the Caster clips based on the layout. A small tight track may require ALL of the clips in back of the Arms. A large high speed track may require them to ALL be in Front of the Arms. Work on the Front and Rear Toe settings, then adjust Caster based on the amount of High/Low speed steering that you need.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

simmple reduce your rear droop
Old 04-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Also, just to make sure, keep your ride height the same front and back.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

OOOooman.. love this group forum, you all are awesome ..man..You know what, what ever your guys comment I will take the consideration and test the result, would let you all know on the progress this weekend.. Pls check out my summary flowchart as your comment..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
oversteer.pdf (11.2 KB, 342 views)
Old 04-14-2003, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

That thing is huge! That means you will need a lot of test time next time you're out on the track.

It mght be wearisome, but it pays off.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

Yes... it Pain at the butt but that how I should learn - experience. At least you and the rest of the group already give me the guideline
Old 04-15-2003, 01:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by esham
Yes... it Pain at the butt but that how I should learn - experience. At least you and the rest of the group already give me the guideline
If you take attention you'll see that many we gave you the same answer (or almost the same) and probably you'll find that going on some directions will get the same result (less oversteer) but some will change the behaviour of your car. Get a suitable startup setup and test all the answers and see for yourself what gave you better results.

BTW: Pretty chart you did with all the answers.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default i'm no pro but you are all WRONG!

sorry people but essentially your recommendations are correct but you forgot to mention the one thing in a setup that matters the most..... r you ready??....

TIRES!!!

90% of all your handling will come from these! screw the oil screw the shocks, screw the toe.

just as long as you installed the "base" setup correctly, ie: toe is set right front/rear along with all other setups, AND you have the right tires for YOUR track you will be fine.

alterations of a base setup come AFTER you can do consistent laps. when the grip is as close to perfect as possible (remember this comes from the tires!) you start fooling with all the small stuff.

i'll give you a example: put on a set of 45 fronts on the rears, and a set of 40 fronts or 45 fronts on the front. what happens? the front grips and the rear slides around right? THIS IS WHAT IS OCCURING WITH YOUR CAR RIGHT ESHAM?

problem solved. remember ask you fellow v1rr racers what TIRES they use on thier cars. ask the quick guys or the ones that you see have a car that handles "on rails"

TIRES, TIRES!! ALWAYS TIRES!!
Old 04-15-2003, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

also a 40 shore of one brand will feel and react different to another brand.

i've used tires that have stated 43shore and they are actually a 40 shore and 45 shores that feel like 42 shores. always use one brand, stick with that brand also. unless you are testing a new one obviously
Old 04-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Esham

If your car is oversteering offpower:

Reduce the front toe-out
Get stiffer front springs
Stand the front shocks more upright
Reduce rear droop
Reduce rear diff oil weight
Increase the rear toe-in
Increase the caster
Raise the front Roll Center
Raise the front ride height
Go lighter in the rear shock oil weight
Go heavier in the front shock oil weight

Try one thing at a time. If it's worst go back and try something else. Work on the front end of the car first since there is too much weight transfer to the front.

Have fun
Old 04-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

VenomWorldOrder,
Actually I did suspect it is about tyre too .. And I did ask the guy that run faster on the track and 1 used foam type ( Out of case ) and another person use the same tyre 40R Sorex tyre. So yesterday i reduce the toe out in front to 0° - result still the same oversteer in entering a corner! And I don't want to accept V1RR have something to do with this...No..please! Again once I read again your statement I start thinking...thinking... what exactly dirfferent on my tyre..?? Pop...up.. I did tape my middle of my rim with doubleside tape! Why? Emmm.. my LHS guy did teach me that because he said that will make the tyre shape more round curve in the middle. maybe...maybe...this fool me which make the tyre harder from it own charateristic. I will change it and test and let you all know. Yes you right that my front tyre grip and back tyre slide!

BTW Glad to know the other check base caster, toeing etc too because this will be develope the sequence on what item to check first! The true is I check the basis setup to be correct as standard first.( Toeing front and rear, suspension front harder that rear.. not the caster yet..) Then after I adjust the front toe to 0° still - problem now then I suspect something wrong on my tyre. I will change that damn tyre!!

Maybe I need to improve my flowchart by sequence checking than..
Old 04-15-2003, 11:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am driving a V1RR and the track I use to run is almost the same condition as yours (BTW I am from M'sia too) and I agree on what
VenomWorldOrder's point

From what I notice, I have almost the same setup as yours, the only different I have is the tyres, I have both Sorex 40R but the insert for the rear is soft/medium (some ppl like soft/some like it medium) but for the front is alway hard (HPI in green color)

Hope this help a bit.

Old 04-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Tech Addict

One other thing to becareful of.
I dont know about the V-One RR, but after a couple of crashes with my S, the rear bearing, i dont know how, maybe small rocks, was dented lightly and causing alot of drag, therefore when i was slowing down it was creating basically a brake on one wheel, and the front was still slowing normal, so the other tyre had to break traction, this happened both left and right, under power, and off power.
so just chek your bearings in the bulkhead and hub carrier to see that they spin freely.
I forgot to put that on.
and if the car is very twitchy, add caster, if it understeers, remove caster.
(remove= blocks in the back)
(add = blocks in the front)
Old 04-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

just adjust your droop on the rear TRUST ME!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.