Strange problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 03:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

If the fly wheel stoped then the engine would have stopped unless the collet was slipping... so what you gotta do is remove the clutch bell and fly wheel clutch shoes etc... and the clutch nut... then your gonna have to pull the fly wheel off (that might take so work...) there should be something between the shaft and the flywheel... (the collet) if its all worn down you need to replace it... also check the clutch shoes as they might be slipping... use fine sand paper of steel wool to rub off any residue then use some engine spray on them... then reassemble... hopefully that will at least get the engine running... also check your fuel lines and fuel tank for leaks... make sure that the mufler/manifold coupler isnt cracked.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

i did change the fuel lines and tank on sunday. i though that fixed the problem because something was lodged in the tank between the primer pump and fuel outlet on the bottom. but it was still happening. i will check out the clutch, and flywheel and bell and shoe to see if something is wrong in that area. thanx for the help
Old 04-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

You should still double check the fuel lines and tank... just remove it and leave all the lines on the tank... fill your sink with enough water to submerge it... then blow into the pressure line while covering the other line.... (dont blow to hard... that will just pull the lines off the tank...) While your blowing look for bubbles... you might have just gotten a bad tank or fuel line... its probably the primer.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

i will try that out and see what happens. it makes sense because i didnt get the stock fuel tank. the hobby store didnt have one so i got another tank, but it did fit the car.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

You got much compression left?
Old 04-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by alucard13
i noticed the more i turned and the harder i turned thats when it would slow down and not move, even though i had the throttle down. so what i did was try to see if the flywheel was moving when the throttle was on and i found that it wasnt. i was able to look at it when the problem happened. i had the throttle down almost all the way when it was slowing down and i looked at the flywheel and it was slowing down and then it stopped, so it wasnt moving the spur gear, but the engine was still revved up. it didnt slow down. then about half a second later, with my finger still on the throttle the flywheel started to move again thus moving the spur gear. so i guess now my questions is, what would cause the flywheel to stop moving even though the throttle is down? like i said, strange problem.
As mentioned prior the flywheel is part of the problem. Fuel lines, engine mixture and setting have nothing to do with what is wrong. Simply put, your flywheel is slipping on the crankshaft. The only 2 possible reasons for this are as firstly mentioned before that the collet has worn so bad it doesnt grab the shaft or secondly the clutchnut has came loose or is not tight enough. If you are using an engine with a standard shaft (non-SG type) then the collet is the problem as a loose clutchnut would throw the bell completely off at high speed.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Strange problem

Originally posted by alucard13
While i was racing today i noticed that my car, even though i had it on full throttle, was barely moving. So i checked it out and it looked like the fuel tank was the problem because i noticed something inside where the primper pump goes down, plus it had a hairline crack underneath the tank. So i got a new tank (not the same type as the original, but it was from hpi and it fit the car). Right away i noticed that it primed better and only took a few pumps to get fuel to the engine whereas in the old tank even though i primed it it could get fuel through the line to the tank. That seemed to fix the problem, but while racing and then when i took it home and tried it out it did slow down even though i had it at full throttle. not nearly as often as it did before the new tank. Besides not getting fuel to the engine (which as far as i can tell the new tank is working fine), what would cause the car not to move even if i have the throttle all the way down? all in all the car ran great today except for this annying issue. I didnt get to finish the 2nd heat because of it.
Is the engine still revving high when its running slow?, u may hav a dodgy clutch or a slipping belt, if its not revving like it used to it may be too rich. or glow plug could be cactus.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

i bought a compression guage and i do what the instructions tell me on how to set it up, but it only goes to 20psi.

for sometime i have been hearing a clanging sound comming from the flywheel but the mechanic at my lhs told me not to worry about it. since i am new to this, what/where is the collet and cluthnut?

the engine is still revving when it slows down. i haven't noticed if the revving slows or not, but the engine is still revving. i dont have belts on my car and i just replaced the glow plug, however i may be running to rich because alot of fuel comes out of the exhaust whenever i push on the throttle.

so, to fix (or try to fix) the problem i should change the clutch shoe, collet, cluthnut and flywheel? I do have a new flywheel and collet, but not a cluthshoe or cluthnut. is the clutchnut also called a pilot shaft?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Clutch nut might be called a pilot shaft if its on a standard engine as an sg engine already has a pilot shaft... you dont need to replace it... just when you put the new fly wheel and collet on put the clutch nut on and make sure its nice and tight... make sure there is no gap between it and the flywheel.... then put the shoes, springs, bearings and clutch bell back on...
Old 04-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

i am trying to get the flywheel off, but i am stuck on the last part. i took off the cluth shoes and springs (didnt see any bearings). once i took off the cluthnut (pilot shaft) there is a thread that it was screwed on to that i cant seem to find out how to unscrew, take off, etc. i have the hpi rs4 rtr3 and if you look at THIS page, the part i am talking about is the area where you see the thread lock bottle going over the thread part. how in the world do i take it off so that i can put the new flywheel and collet on? I try pulling, yanking, turning, etc. I still cant get it off. I'm almost there. I'm glad i took this out cause now i know ALOT more about the engine and i'm not so afraid to take it apart now. Now only if the parts would co operate and come off when i need them too Thanx again guys for all the awesome help.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Bearing are in the clutch housing...
about the flywheel, from where you are all you have to do is force the flywheel off... what i do... is find a hard surface, put a towel folded up a few times on it... take a hammer and hold a towel over it (not giant towels... lol be reasonable...) and the place the crank on the towel so its pointing down... and then hit the flywheel with the hammer... if it doesnt come all the way off... hit it on the other side... and dont kill it... just enough fo force the thing off...

there are tools to get it off if u have the money... if not just do it the ghetto way like me...
Old 04-16-2003, 01:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by ImportRacer1187
if not just do it the ghetto way like me...
And the rest of us hardcore racers that didnt have all the latest technology and tools 15-20trs ago

If you can set up a car, work on it without all the latest gadgets (special set up stations, alignment guages, special clutch spanners, etc) you will get a better understanding of how a car works and learn more about setting it up.

Thats not to say I dont have all the latests tools, I just prefer not to use them to often . Been running these cars so long I can remember times when a hammer was your best friend
Old 04-16-2003, 01:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by modellor
And the rest of us hardcore racers that didnt have all the latest technology and tools 15-20trs ago

If you can set up a car, work on it without all the latest gadgets (special set up stations, alignment guages, special clutch spanners, etc) you will get a better understanding of how a car works and learn more about setting it up.

Thats not to say I dont have all the latests tools, I just prefer not to use them to often . Been running these cars so long I can remember times when a hammer was your best friend
I dont do my car with a hammer !!
Old 04-16-2003, 05:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

great, thanx. so all i have to do is use a little force and pull it off then. i will try that as soon as i get back from work tonight. thanx again
Old 04-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lol i habe a tweak station a hudy set up and and an rpm camber gauge... setup station and camber gauge worth the money... but trying to balance a nitro car is pointless... And i never saw a reason to get a flywheel remover... its way easier to just use a hammer... though i want a piston locking tool... or one of those flywheel wrenchs... cause getting the clutch nut off its a pain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.