R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Foams or Rubbers? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/16305-foams-rubbers.html)

Overclocked 04-13-2003 12:18 AM

Foams or Rubbers?

Just wondering what everyone uses foams or rubber tires on thier nitro sedan.

XtremeMDX 04-13-2003 12:44 AM

Foams or rubbers...

Depends where you are running and what you are using it for. For bashing around a parking lot with your buds then stick with the rubs, they last longer. The foams are usually used for racing on prepped surface, they are more proned to chunking if used on non prepped surface.

Overclocked 04-13-2003 12:48 AM

Racings what I meant, on smooth flat an swept asphalt.

XtremeMDX 04-13-2003 01:14 AM

Racing......

As most hardcore racers will say foams are the only way to go. You might want to invest in a tire truer, it might be expensive but if you race a lot it will save you money in the long run. Good luck in the track.

FREAKAH 04-13-2003 02:25 AM

I run rubbers on my MTX-3.

I prefer rubbers because they last longer and you don't have to worry about overdrive, underdrive, chunking, and constantly changing ride heights.

Many people say racing with rubber sucks because they are constantly searching for a tire/compound that works, but at our track people use and stick to only three types of tires(Sorex 36, 40, Yok 138G series) so we know what works and what doesn't.

As for performance, several racers(including myself:D) are very competitive using rubbers in foam class. This could be because of our track size and design though.

Korey Harbke 04-13-2003 01:12 PM

I run rubbers, but if I could try foams, I would.

AndrewtheRCman 04-13-2003 01:54 PM

personally i think its all in driving preference. no one give me any of this "if these conditions" BS. you drive foams because you want your car to hook up 100% of the time with very little give....IMHO that is gotta be the most boring way to race. i will only run rubbers because i want my car to hook but i wanna be abe to slide corners when i need to. you can with foams but its a little harder and chunks the tires i wanna have the break lose power to avoid the board bouncing n00bs. and i wanna be able to dial in my car at the local park

now im a little biased because ive been doing offroad for awhile and sliding comes naturally to me and so does the control

but the foams vs rubber seems all worth preference to driving and nothing more

sorry if thats a little harsh but i cant stand everyone saying "foams this and foams that" when its so much money and really has to do with how you drive your car

Im2lazy 04-14-2003 12:48 AM

Originally posted by AndrewtheRCman
personally i think its all in driving preference. no one give me any of this "if these conditions" BS...
Locally, as Freekah pointed out, foams aren't really much faster (if at all) than rubber tires when it comes between race times. But I disagree with what I have highlighted from your post. Unlike what I have highlighted above, I totally believe that foam tires or rubber tires is a choice depeding on a few things and the major one being track condition. This is the same as swaybars, damper oil, suspension angle amongst the gizzilion other adjustments our vehicles possess.

I have to agree with most of the remaining post, except with this...

but the foams vs rubber seems all worth preference to driving and nothing more
for hopefully obvious reasons.

The reason I don't run foams is that it costs too much for me to run every race, and I feel that the competition in the "stock-class" (rubber tires) at my track is more exciting and fun due to a relatively high and similar ability levels amongst my fellow racers.

Roger 04-14-2003 01:07 AM

I use foam for racing and rubbers for just bashing with the buds

Dan 04-14-2003 01:18 AM

I run rubbers on my SuperTen and foams when I race 1/10th.