cleaning, caring for 'sealed' bearings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cleaning, caring for 'sealed' bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default cleaning, caring for 'sealed' bearings?

i clean my car by first doing a complete disassembly - i use ISOPROPYL alcohol (91%) to clean every part. i have heard that this type of alcohol can cause oxidation of metallic parts - has anyone else heard of this? does anyone USE isopropyl to clean the car? other say use only DENATURED alcohol??

the question here is how to clean and care for the sealed bearings in the car - i switched to all green seals (cost a pretty penny!) in my car and these bearings are very good indeed. heres the method i use - tell me what you think of this method...

after removing a bearing, it is of course, very dirty - i quickly swish the bearing around in clean alcohol for a few secs (not soaking it) and lay it down on a clean paper towel - frequently i see grit and dirt on the towel as i lift the bearing off the towel. next i put the clean bearing into a bath of Marvel Mystery oil and let it soak for a few mins. remove the soaked bearing and again lay it on a towel. even after this i STILL SEE dirt and black crap on the towel when i take the bearing off the towel.

true or false;
1. using alcohol on a sealed bearing REMOVES the lube INSIDE the sealed bearing?
2. simply wiping off a sealed bearing (NOT cleaning it) i can still HEAR crap INSIDE the bearing when i rotate it - i know there is still grit in the sealed bearing.
3. soaking an alcohol cleaned bearing in mystery oil helps but after repeated alcohol cleanings there is no bearing grease left in a sealed bearing? is the mystery oil enough?

how do you clean ur sealed bearings?????
Old 04-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Default cleaning, caring for 'sealed' bearings?

cybertoolzz;

I have ALWAYS used plain Methanol as a 'Nitro Wash' and NEVER had any bearing problems from it.

I don't know if it is any Safer for the Bearings, but it definitely cleans of the goo better.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Hey cybertoolzz

Since the blue seal bearing have been out(got them off Ebay), I never have to clean my bearing... This is both Off-road 1/8 buggies, 1/8 On-road, and 1/10 On-road Sedans... Thanks to them my maintaince time is 1/4 what it used to be...

Have Fun!!!

Bradley J. Gotori
[email protected]
Old 04-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Tech Adept

I just drop the bearings into a cup of alcohol. After about 20min of sitting, I just wipe and lay it on a towel. Then dip it into motor oil over night and install them the next day. I got this from Nova Racer 74. Here is also a good link to cleaning your bearings...Cleaning Bearings
Old 04-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Here is what i do.

-Remove the barings form the car.
-Remove the rubber seals.
-Clean the rubber seals with a cloth carefully not to damage them.
-Fill a small container with a good degreaser and drop in the barings. Swirl the container around (like a washing machine). You will notice dirt at the bottom of the container. Emty the degreaser and fill container again with fresh degreaser. Swril again. Repeat process until no dirt comes out.
-Dry bearings and place one drop of Team Orions Free Revs Pro Bearing Lube.
-Replace rebber seal.

Bearings are like new.

I use this method for a couple of years now with now problem.
I clean my barings (all of the kit) before each race.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

I take off the seal and spray the bearing out with motor spray. I get my bearing oil and oil it 2 drops ( I say thinner the better because I get around to bearing maintenance often). Wipe the seal so there is no dirt and put it together. The high pressure of the motor spray helps clean out everything very well. Just make sure you do it in both directions so you don't miss anything. The oil is enough, but not enough forever. I clean my bearings every one or two races. The thicker the oil you use, the less you have to clean and reoil the bearings.

Also, with fiber sealed bearings, the first time I tried to remove the seal, I removed it like a rubber bearing seal and ripped it up. Remove the circlip with a exacto knife.

Also, I don't suggest the use of Isopropyl alcohol as it contains an amount of water. I use denatured alcohol or stuff like nitro wash or motor spray.