Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent 705 VS Mugen Mtx-3 >

Serpent 705 VS Mugen Mtx-3

Serpent 705 VS Mugen Mtx-3

Old 04-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

at this point i have stopped working on it the mtx3 has every part i currently want on it

but it doesnt look all that great since i have run it a scratched my mugen 4mm chassis up some

and i regret to say i was being cheap and put a left upright on the right side and it worked so well i havent felt the need to take it off but to take pictures i would get picked on

i added the mugen chassis and every possible option to lighten the drivetrain and the engine brace and kfactory battery holder but the pictures dont really show much

for now i am saving my money to buy the mbx5 1/8 offorad buggy because if they improve the mbx5 over the mbx4xr as much as they improved the mtx3 over the mtx2 the kanai better watch out there will be a new leader
Old 04-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

actually what i ment was on mrx3.com you had a webcam of you working on ur mrx-3 i was wondering when i could see that again
Old 04-11-2003, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

then i guess you werent talking to me at all because i dont have a mrx3 nor have i ever been to that site

all i have done was post some pictures of my mtx3 on the mtx3 thread a while ago
Old 04-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Nytrochaos
actually what i ment was on mrx3.com you had a webcam of you working on ur mrx-3 i was wondering when i could see that again
they are different persons.

the one on web cam is jason jenkins
Old 04-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default MUGEN vs SREPENT

Dude,
Both cars are great!
Its all about preference......

If you like burning money on Hop-ups the MTX-3 is your car.
God knows how many 3 party companys that makes hop-ups parts for this car!!

If you like burning money on spare or replacement parts the 705 is your car. The parts on this car cost twice as much as the Mugen parts . Thats becuz Mugen parts come in pares while the Serpent parts only comes in singles!!
Old 04-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by supra528
well im on a fairly technical track but im still leaning toward the serpent.... can the serpent be setup for a tight track?? cuz i dont really care how much time i have to spend seting it up.... thanks for the reply
Yes it can set up for techincal track. what the local boys here have done is to replace the centax with the impluse clutch. they have done some impressive timings. i think its because of the gearing problem. i am still a rookie when it comes to gearing set-ups.

funny thing is the recent local serpent race, the impulse whipped the 705 clearly.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:39 AM
Tech Regular

ok, ive seen both cars go (cant say i have driven either) but the mtx 3 looked like it was on fire... that thing has unreal corner speed and looks like it is on rails.... the 705 on the other hand looks like a real messy car on the track.... the one that is at my track every weekend (705) always look like its on the edge and doesnt look as though it is under control but the mtx 3's i have seen are untouchable... just my 2 cents, i dont own either car or a car from either manufacturer so my observations are totally unbiased
Old 04-12-2003, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

ok.. thanks for your info, i got one more question. wats it like driving the 705 because i here that the rear end slides out a lot during braking...
Old 04-12-2003, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

To start with, all the cars will slide out under braking if they are not set up properly. Just .5mm difference in the length of the shocks can cause this.

I have not had my 705 long but the running it has got has been good and no sign of being on the edge as Mitch179 mentioned. I guess the guy driving it that day just didnt have it set up correct.

As for small/medium sized tracks - thats what I generally race on and this car works well. Again, it comes down to set up and what type of tracks you hvae been used to. In America most people are used to fast flowing tracks and know how to set the car up best for them. In the UK/Ireland we use many different track types every other week and we are most adapt at setting a car up for all track types .

Get everything set up perfect (which is easier with a Serpent) and dont have your brakes locking up and you will have one really fast car. On the other hand rush the set up and have a really twitchy looking and feeling car. Its that simple.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

thank you very much. i fully understand now
Old 04-12-2003, 08:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

the serpent has to be setup almost perfect to run well. i would get a ntc3 or the mtx3, parts availability, parts costs, etc are other reasons. my friend has a ntc3 and a 705, he's getting rid of the 705... he set it up pretty well and he still couldn't get it to run the infield as well as the ntc3.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

we are seeming edging closer n closer to the MTX-3 eh?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by moshmxpx
the serpent has to be setup almost perfect to run well. i would get a ntc3 or the mtx3, parts availability, parts costs, etc are other reasons. my friend has a ntc3 and a 705, he's getting rid of the 705... he set it up pretty well and he still couldn't get it to run the infield as well as the ntc3.
this is quite true. The serpent requires a very meticulous attention to set-up in order to run with the mtx-3 and the ntc3. If it's not spot-on the car is not going to run well. The mugen is by far the easiest to setup and will run quick with the widest range of settings.

As far as lateral slop on the mtx3 rear I've never heard of anyone having this problem. I've built 2 kits and neither had it. As mentioned before there is a small amount of slop to be taken up with washers on the hingepins, but it can be considered a wheel base adjustment...lol...hardly an issue at all.

Serpent parts cost and availability are a huge factor IMHO.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Walk into your LHS and ask or take a look and see what parts they stock up the most. Buy the kit which they have more spare parts for.

Its all about after sale support. finding parts your broke or need.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

well lets here from the ppl wit serpent... i wanna see wat the think and how there car handles..... i also heard that on the mtx, you need the gears for the diff... is this true??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.