Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Brad, you got email...PM was slow.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello Everyone,

First off I want to thank everyone at Motonica for getting the car and parts sorted out for me in time for the race. With a few electric races, Toy Fair and other things going on it was definatly tight to get it together in time.

While the race went fairly well, it could have been much better. The issue with the weight was a very strange one. Monday after practice I was super happy with the car. The clutch was still a little heavy but I felt I could run the needed times and the heavy clutch would be safe for fuel milage so I went to do the final checks on the car in Tech. They checked the tank and weight. The tank was .5cc over the limit so I added a plastic spacer in the bottom of the tank. Next check was weight - the car went on the scale and was heavy. The tech official told me "It's about 25grams overweight". From there, I never even took the body off the car. I took it back to the hotel and brought it back to the track the next morning. I didn't practice and I didn't work on the car. I ran the first qualifier and went to turn marshall. When I returned I was told that I was about 20 grams under weight.... You can't believe my frustration.... The only thing I can figure is that someone moved the weights on the scale to see how far underweight their car was and when my car was weighed, the scale was not set right (triple beam scale).

In the B final, I was running in 2nd and just trying to run an easy pace. After the first pit stop, the car went super rich and I had to make 2 pit stops to lean the engine. From there, I managed to work my way back onto the same lap as 2nd and 3rd place. Unfortunetly though, I hit the chicane which jarred the battery plug from my reciever. The car continued on with a pretty good impact that jammed the front roll bar with one blade on top the other. My pit guys tried to fix it for me but by the time I got back out there I was just way too far behind to catch up. In typical Ft. Myers fashion, my weekend was done with a huge impact with Michael Salven as he crashed in the center straight and I hit him at full speed!! The crash took out the front body mount and front shock tower...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Just a side note on the weight - All the weight that was on the car was still there following the DQ. No lead fell off nor were any parts from the car or body missing.

Overall, I was quite happy with the car. The first runs on the track the car was pretty good with only an overall understeer. Here's a few things I tried:

Rear upper a-arm shims - I used 1mm - 2mm had less rear grip (more steering)
Front upper a-arm shims - I used -2mm (I cut the upper arm mount to lower the front arm 2mm). 0mm or 2mm had an understeer.
Rear "H" arm position (body mount position on hub) - Outer hole on hub and "H" arm was smoother and reduced rear end chatter into the high speed sweeper.

I tested also with different bodies and body positions and while I normally like the Central body, the Parma gave a little better steering which improved my lap times. I'm not sure if part of the problem has to do with the Central hitting on the front upper arms so I'll have to look into that next time I am out testing.

When I get to the track today, I will double check all of my settings and post my set-up from the race.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Just a side note on the weight - All the weight that was on the car was still there following the DQ. No lead fell off nor were any parts from the car or body missing.

Overall, I was quite happy with the car. The first runs on the track the car was pretty good with only an overall understeer. Here's a few things I tried:

Rear upper a-arm shims - I used 1mm - 2mm had less rear grip (more steering)
Front upper a-arm shims - I used -2mm (I cut the upper arm mount to lower the front arm 2mm). 0mm or 2mm had an understeer.
Rear "H" arm position (body mount position on hub) - Outer hole on hub and "H" arm was smoother and reduced rear end chatter into the high speed sweeper.

I tested also with different bodies and body positions and while I normally like the Central body, the Parma gave a little better steering which improved my lap times. I'm not sure if part of the problem has to do with the Central hitting on the front upper arms so I'll have to look into that next time I am out testing.

When I get to the track today, I will double check all of my settings and post my set-up from the race.
thats cool Josh,do you have pics of your car from the race....what engine did u use?the 359?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

hello Josh, better luck next time.........

concerning the Central body, I'm using it with the body posts shimmed with 1.0mm.......the suspension just touch the body at the end of its travel......

with 2mm (maybe 1.5 as well) the body isn't touched at all, but I've had cut the bodyshell before testing this and with more than 1mm of shims I would have to trim the front end below the bumper line.......
Old 02-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Scott are you following me from thread to thread.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

here you go

hope you have more luck next tome Josh!

more in our Gallery check site!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

oops
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th scale Motonica-josh-cyruls-car.jpg  
Old 02-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

ockt - I used the Novarossi 359 Tuned with the 2015 pipe and medium header.

Salvadori - I think I had my Central body mounted very far forward and this may be why I was having trouble with it hitting on the a-arm. It was sitting super low in the front!

border - Thanks!!! See you at the next one!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Last edited by SalvadoriRacing; 02-20-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: double post
Old 02-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
ockt - I used the Novarossi 359 Tuned with the 2015 pipe and medium header.

Salvadori - I think I had my Central body mounted very far forward and this may be why I was having trouble with it hitting on the a-arm. It was sitting super low in the front!

border - Thanks!!! See you at the next one!

I used the standard front markings to drill the holes on the front end of the central body.......the gap between the front end and the center of the bumper is about 20mm.....
Old 02-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Suspended

thanks josh

this thread has died out...lets keep it alive guysand girls!
Old 02-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys, have a look at what Brad T at YB slow has made for the motonica. He has the best stuff and there will be more coming as soon as the parts are done being tested so stay tuned!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottyoo
Hey guys, have a look at what Brad T at YB slow has made for the motonica. He has the best stuff and there will be more coming as soon as the parts are done being tested so stay tuned!!!

Yup I cant wait for the Motonica Grand Prix in April, I'm sure Brad will be there and I will get everything from him there.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Suspended

why is this thread quiet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.