Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th scale Motonica

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Awfully quiet in here... It's been almost a month since there has been a post.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

We didn't see one at the CAN AM CHALLENGE, will we see the Canadian Debut of a Motonica 8th Scale at the Canadian Nitro On Road Nationals in 8 Days in Hamilton Ontario Canada?

We're curious
Old 06-22-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Last weekend I ran the P8.0r car at an track near Torino, Italy.
After 6 years with serpent and always looking for more rear traction I was very curious how the P8.0R would handle compare to the always oversteering serpent.

well...
For me, it handles really really different! (the 960/mrx4r/evolva are all very similair...so those have a very similair handling)
the first time out I had absolutly no steering, I had some but it was a lot less then I always had with my serpent.
So much rear traction....damn...I was astonished, for me, this would the car to get champion with!!

Altrough I only got 40 minutes to run with it, just out of the box, mostly a stock set up.
only softer springs in the rear because of the track...a nasty bump on the straight.
with 2 degrees of toe in and camber I had plenty of rear traction.
During the final my front antiroll bar got loose and disconnected, after it got loose the car was just awesome!

This experience was really awesome for me, after not driving for more then months and then having a car who drives so good straight out of the box...damn that feeled very good!
So I would like to thank M. Ficcadenti of Motonica for giving me the oppertunenty to try the Motonica P8.0r and having this wonderfull expierence!!!

(This is my expierence, with my drivingstyle...guess you experience will be different!)
Old 06-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Wow! Things must be very different in Europe! Fighting for rear traction with a 960. I have been fighting to get it to steer for a year and a half! I have totaly given up on using a front bar, I run the front suspension softer, softer front tires, short wheelbase, etc.
If the Motonica has less steering than Serpent, I'm not sure I want one. On the other hand, it is so adjustable, it shouldn't be a problem getting it setup to my likeing.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I've found the opposite to be true. Car has tons of steering and corner speed. I'm pretty far removed from the stock set-up though. Best handling car I've driven and I feel like there is still room to improve on my set up.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I will FINALLY get to race mine this coming weekend. I will give a full update after I run it. I have been running the 960 '07 for a couple of months and have been pretty pleased with the car. But I am MORE then ready to bring out the new BEAST...my MOTONICA!!!! Yeah Baby!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Sounds like a great car but how is the durability on this thing? Anyone?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dpdiehl
I've found the opposite to be true. Car has tons of steering and corner speed. I'm pretty far removed from the stock set-up though. Best handling car I've driven and I feel like there is still room to improve on my set up.
Is that you Dave? Are you comming to the Byrons race next week? The track is VERY smooth and lowest tire wear EVER! Not at all like DeKalb...
Hope you make it, I would love to see your car up close. I've ben drooling over the pictures for some time now.
Hope to see ya soon.

Ron T.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Motonica

Yes guys we will have a team driver at the byfrons race this week so please go over and take a look at the car,we also have a new shop carrying the motonica product line.

Guys pats and kits are plentifull so give this car a chance I am sure you will love it.

www.rcprocenter.com they are stocked with inventory.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Default Great job

Dreat job to David Diehl for placing his Motonica in the A main at the Byrons race good luck in the main.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1/8 racer
Yes guys we will have a team driver at the byfrons race this week so please go over and take a look at the car,we also have a new shop carrying the motonica product line.

Guys pats and kits are plentifull so give this car a chance I am sure you will love it.

www.rcprocenter.com they are stocked with inventory.
Ok, well I have a Motonica and understood parts were going to be a small issue...no biggy. I am currently trying to order parts on the web address that you had mentioned, however EVERY part I try to order says that it is out of stock. I haven't found one part in stock in fact. I can order my parts from a number of places, most are outside the US. So is this going to be an contiued issue with this web sight of not having anything in stock? Or are they just getting started so to speak and might take them a little time to get their inventory up to par? Just curious if this will be a reliable place in the near future, or should I try somewhere else to obtain my parts?? If you know of any other places for the US Motonica owners to get parts more localy, like in this country, could you please post it. Thank you.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I thought that I would bring this Motonica thread out of the dungeon. I have since raced my Motonica twice at our club track in Colorado Springs. All I can say is that I finally found the perfect car for me! This car has brought back my confidence in racing. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!! I would have to say that with only the 2nd time I took this car to the track, this has been the fastest and most consistant I have EVER ran. I have definately achieved my fastest lap times with this vehicle.

Somebody asked about it's durability earlier...All I can say is WOW!! You would have to have a very very serious crash to break ANYTHING on this car to where you would need to pull it off of the track. You know how I was saying I was racing my best ever with this car, well it was so predictable that I was confident enough to take some of the apex's VERY CLOSE. Once or twice, too close and hit a board just catching the corner by an inch or so. Anyway, with the speed and momentum I was carrying through these corners and hitting a board 2 times in a 25 minute main, I was positive that I would of had to pull the car off the track. Not only did nothing break or bend, but it still tracked perfectly straight. It didn't even tweak the steering. Do durability is for sure an A+.

In MY opinion, this car is SUPERIOR to anything that I have driven. I don't honestly know much about the Kyosho Evolva, but I know a little about the Mugen MRX4-R. The guys that love their Mugen would love this car. It's bold for me to say, but if your fast with the MRX4 then you will probably be faster with the Motonica. The Motonica and Mugen actually have a few similarities and compatability. For one is the clutch. The Motonica has the same offset and clutch design as the Mugen, however it only uses 3 pins on the flywheel compared to the 4 on the MRX4. The spur gears are identical other then the Motonica symbol on their gears. So this makes it nice for parts. Pinions and clutch bells are the same. I think that the front bumpers are interchangable as well. I also believe that the rear belt is the same size. The Motonica does not come with CVD's or front universals, However I put a set of the Mugen ones on my Motonica with no issues. So those are the same. Since the Motonica can use the Mugen/Kyosho wheels, you can use all the same axles and quick release parts for the Motonica. I'm not 100% sure, but believe that the rear dogbones are the same length as MRX4-R, I know the fronts work.

Another thing that I found as I was messing around with parts was since the wheel axles are the same, I weighed the Stock Motonica axle (F & R) and compared them to the weight of the "Lightened" Carlson MRX4-R axles and to my surprise, they weighed EXACTLY the same. I think it was like 10 grams each. Why mention this? Because the Motonica proves to have a purebread race car right out of the box. I know that all the big names are race worthy right out of the box. But it appears that the Motonica uses the highest quality materials you can get. No it doesn't have titanium out of the box, or aluminum this and that out of the box. But bottom line is that they are not needed. OK, I know I'm just rambleing now...sorry. I still have a lot to learn about the car and by NO means am I dissing any other car. Honestly they are all awesome, because they all win races. However, I will have to say that I never thought that one car would be better for an individual then another. For me this is not the case. I have NEVER felt a car so comfortable and easy to drive as I have found the Motonica to be in my off and on 10+ years of racing.
So is this car worth the price tag? We all know that the Motonica is a bit on the expensive side. After learning first hand about the durability and not worrying about finishing a long main because of breaking, YES! I would recommend this car to EVERYONE!! Without hesitation. The only slight downside to this car right now in the US is the parts support. However Brad at www.rcprocenter.com does carry the more important parts for it. He is the only dealer I am aware of in the US and is an EXCELLENT person to deal with. He will get you what you need in a hurry. He went out of his way to overnight parts for me the first time I used him. He returns EVERY email within that day if not within an hour or two. He is trully exceptional! So with Brad around, I am trully not concerned about parts support. Although I got my car from Brooklyn Hobbies, they don't seem very interested in supporting the car.

Sorry for the long post everyone. I tend to do that. I just wanted everyone to get a pretty good idea of what the car is about since there hasn't been much said here on the forum. Thanks for taking your time to read my rambleing. Later everyone!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

I have just ordered a new P8.0R, and reading such posts makes me very happy. It is very good to hear about the durability issue, cause I wonder the toughness of the car very much. Serpend, where did you mount the transponder
? Can you post some pictures? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

SerpentD- Awesome post! Glad you like the vehicle. As you said it just goes to show some upgrades just AREN'T needed out of the box.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

After hearing that, I am more pleased and anticipated to have my car a first touch down soon.
But I have to share, there are minor issues on this 8.0R.
We ordered 3 boxes. One box was found with missing of 6 aluminum nuts for the steering hub. Mine was found missing 4 shims on each steering hub in between the pin and the outter bearing.
All all 3 boxes have too thick caster plastic inserts, we need to make it thinner to fit.

Besides these, this car is looked gorgeous. I will try to compare with my MRX4R and X.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.