Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th scale Motonica

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Motonica

YBslow Inc will have several option parts available for the Motonica in the next few weeks. Brass battery tray, 70-75 "y-type" brace 1 piece with no standoff needed, 7075 rear lower arm mounts, brass front bulkhead 3rd member to add wait to the nose for more steering, and others verry soon. I am excited to be running this car next season.

Brad
www.YBslowInc.com
Old 11-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
YBslow Inc will have several option parts available for the Motonica in the next few weeks. Brass battery tray, 70-75 "y-type" brace 1 piece with no standoff needed, 7075 rear lower arm mounts, brass front bulkhead 3rd member to add wait to the nose for more steering, and others verry soon. I am excited to be running this car next season.

Brad
www.YBslowInc.com
Dude, your kidding me right? This is like a dream come true. I have seen your work (machining) and for you to run and support the Motonica is Extremely COOL!! Right on Brad!! I'm stoked you will be running this car as well!! There is only one piece I would love to see you make (including all those others of coarse) and that would be the front portion of the bulk head. I'll post a picture. The only problem is this piece to be made out of aluminum or whatever alloy would be EXTREMELY difficult! I know you good, but this part has incredible detail and a unique shape. It's the only part other then the body mount that I have broken due to colder temps. But regarless, I am WAY stoked that your running Motonica next year!! You probably don't remember me from a Vegas race (Nationals maybe), but I remember you and your a cool dude. Plus a great machinest(sp)! We NEED someone like you to support this already KILLER machine. I'm VERY anctious to see what you come up with for the car. I have some of your tools already and your work is excellent. I don't have any of your other parts because I don't own any of the cars you supported. But now I will get to buy from you. And just to let everyone on here know that YBslow is an EXCELlENT machinist and driver from what I remember. So if YBslow makes it BUY IT!!!!! His stuff is made for a purpose, not a bling thing at all. Anyway, keep us all posted Brad, anctious to see your stuff. Later man. Oh yea, here's the part I would love to have in Aluminum (or whatever alloy). You can see I was filling the voids in the bulkhead for weight and hopefuly some added strength. Nothing pretty, but going for fun and functionality. Did I mention aluminum would be killer.

Darren
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-repairs-004.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-repairs-016.jpg  
Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, Very Cool !!! What a sweet looking car !! Nice job on the pics
Old 11-27-2007, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I spent many hours reading the german forum Motonica threads and here is a quick summary:

Pros

Beautiful car, advanced design and adjustability, very low CG, very stiff chassis, responds very well to minor adjustments, stable and easy to drive with no bad habits and very capable of winning any race, parts reasonable and available individually instead of in pairs, very modular and serviceable, very free drivetrain.

Cons

More expensive than other cars, screw threads in plastic can strip easily and require care, not as popular and is not selling as well as it should due primarily to the higher cost and also in part to drivers' loyalty to other brands.

Many commented that the design is simply amazing and the fact that a new manufacturer could create something this competitive and innovative as their first product is even more incredible.

Last edited by ESWLFSE; 11-27-2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Corrected inaccuracy.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
I spent many hours reading the german forum Motonica threads and here is a quick summary:

Pros

Beautiful car, advanced design and adjustability, very low CG, very stiff chassis, responds very well to minor adjustments, stable and easy to drive with no bad habits and very capable of winning any race, parts reasonable and available individually instead of in pairs, very modular and serviceable, very free drivetrain.

Cons

More expensive than other cars, no shift adjustment holes, screw threads in plastic can strip easily and require care, not as popular and is not selling as well as it should due primarily to the higher cost and also in part to drivers' loyalty to other brands.

Many commented that the design is simply amazing and the fact that a new manufacturer could create something this competitive and innovative as their first product is even more incredible.
Dude, under cons you have "no shift adjustment holes"?? Wrong bro. Has them for 2-speed and clutch. Another Pro is that this car is ligter then the others out of the box. As far as price, it is trully easier to have more money in another car because of option parts to try and make the car as durable as the Motonica, which no one can do. Not a necessity to do, but for about $200 extra bucks or so I would rather have that piece of mind with the durability factor (other then the colder temps when I have broken parts). Also, lets go in the past say 9 months ago when this car was released. How many people had the MRX-4R, 2005 Kyosho, or Serpent 960, well a few months after the Motonica's release, the Mugen came out with the MRX-4X, 2007 Evolva....now M3 and Serpent came out with the '07 960 plus about 80 option parts. And how many people went out and ordered the new stuff? About all of them. The Motonica is cheaper in the long run. But does require the higher initial investment, yes. These are mostly facts with a few opinions as well. I by NO means am bashing the other brands, They are also fast, competetive awesome cars.

I will 100% honest about the Motonica, yes, some of the screws can strip in the plastic if you get carried away. I've done it myself. Usually use either superglue, or "Titen" gap filling stuff made by LOCTITE. However, the option parts that the larger pivot balls screw into (the A-arms) solves this with their Ergal option parts. I only stripped out one of these before, but the option parts prevents Most, not all of the stipping issues. As far as durability, you cannot and I repeat cannot break an arm on this car. You might bend a pivot ball yes, but the torture I first put my car through proved that you cannot break this part. If you do break this part, you just hit a wall at 50mph!! And I seriously still think they would survive. The 4 parts I have broken on the car because of colder weather (below 70 degrees) were the front body mount, front bulk head (the one I want made out of Alum.) a shock shaft and 1 bumper. Oh yeah, I did break a rollbar once (handle). Other then that, nothing. During the summer, I would get "over" confident so to speak and see how close I could hit some of the Apex's. Well at our track that usually means the corner of 2 boards sticking out. Anyway, I would hit these corners on occasion and never broke one piece. You have to realize that I hit these corners between 20 and maybe 40 MPH a few times. Once throwing the car about 4 feet in the air (you know when you go Oh Sh*t, this can't be good). Anyway the funny thing is I would walk off the driver stand thinking that there's NO WAY the car didn't break something. I had to Make this walk every time with my 960 so it was just natural to go and get your car. But not once did I ever break or tweak ANYTHING. This is when I was completely HOOKED on the Motonica. After getting this car, is when I was able to finally finish all my qualifiers and mains, even 30 minutes without breaking. No I don't smash shit every lap, but every now and then we all do. These are the times you want your car to survive, and the Motonica shines in this department!!!!!
Oh and another thing, I'm not sure if this is luck or what, but I am still using the original clutch and all the clutch parts. Other then cleaning the stuff (bearings, thrust bearings) I have somewhere of 8-10 hours on the original clutch. Never changed it in over 6 months of racing. Do I recommend this, no. But since it was lasting so long, I decided to keep it in there for a longevity test. The clutch is the original Black one. Like I said, it might just be luck or something, but everytime I take out my car, the clutch is perfect. I had to add a shim is all to compensate for the endplay. Nothing more. Even the clutch spring is original and has the same tension as the day I first assembled it. WOW, sorry for the post from hell guys. Didn't mean to ramble on, but those of you that do know me, this can be normal. Sorry all! Well I could rant and rave about this incredible car forever, but I will do so on another post. I'll stop now.

Anyone that is contemplateing getting a different or new car, I would HIGHLY recommend looking into the Motonica. Just read this thread and you'll see why. ALso, the US distribution has been taken care of. So parts will NOT be an issue for the 2008 season. I personally am a Motonica dealer, so if you need anything or have ANY questions, please send me a PM or email to [email protected]. The new US distributor has been working extremely hard with Motonica in Italy to get all of our ducks in a row. Our first overseas order is rather large and has taken some time with a few delays that are now taken care of. We (either myself or distributor) want to make sure that you get your car, parts or whatever you need to you as soon and as cheap as possible. So let me know if you need anything. My distributor is working on a web site for convenience and support. But might not be up and running for about 3 months or so, not entirely sure. I know this sounds long, but we don't want to cut corners and have anything sub-standard. I myself plan on getting up a website, hopefully soon as well. Until that day is here, just contact me for pricing or anything else you may need, even if it's questions. I do have a full time job outside of this, so if I don't get back to you Immediately, this is why. I promise to support you and the Motonica 100% to my ability. This is all fairly new, so if I don't have an answer to your question right away, I will get it. Take care guys, and will keep you all updated as things move forward. Thanks for bareing with me on my LOOOONG post. Later guys, and we'll see you at the track!!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sorry - maybe is was the earliest versions prior to the "R" that did not have the clutch adjustment holes...I will edit that.

Do you think there would be any advantage to partially pretapping the holes in the plastic? Obviously not completely so that the screw would fit loosely but enough that it would get a nice clean square start. Otherwise maybe half the problem is that screws in plastic spread the hole and thread engagement is minimal. This would at least give a little more thread engagement into the plastic but still allow it to bite well at the bottom of the hole. Unless they're threaded already????

Last edited by ESWLFSE; 11-27-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Who is the new Motonica distributor?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NITROMONTREAL
Who is the new Motonica distributor?
They will announce it very soon....
Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
Otherwise maybe half the problem is that screws in plastic spread the hole and thread engagement is minimal. This would at least give a little more thread engagement into the plastic but still allow it to bite well at the bottom of the hole. Unless they're threaded already????
Hi all!

Me and my business partners are the current Motonica importer for Portugal (Europe).

(Serpentd and I exchanged some emails at the beggining of the year regarding the Motonica - hope everything is doing ok !!!)

Regarding the threads and screws, my advice is to go up a measure on the screws, i.e. if the original screw is M4x10, replace it with M4x12 and so on and so on. I really really advice you to change the chassis screws and specially the 2 screws that hold the rear shock carbon tower to the rear bulkheads (these 2 are a must).

The only one you can't replace is the one on top of the radio plate, that sits behind the brake servo thingie (sorry, don't know it's name).

Regarding the Motonica... I must say that this car is really almost indestructible, but you already know that!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

I have been drooling over Motonica pics since the first spy shots. I think I might have to try it for next season! Price is a bit high, but let's face it, the initial price is a small part of a seasons race budget. Parts aren't out of line in price, and if it hold up well it's worth a few extra bucks at time of purchase. But, it's going to take me a while to 'squirrel away' enough to take the leap! The kid starts college next year.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

After building the Motonica. I know why the Motonica costs a bit more up front.

Last edited by YBSLOW; 11-28-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by areal
Hi all!

Me and my business partners are the current Motonica importer for Portugal (Europe).

(Serpentd and I exchanged some emails at the beggining of the year regarding the Motonica - hope everything is doing ok !!!)

Regarding the threads and screws, my advice is to go up a measure on the screws, i.e. if the original screw is M4x10, replace it with M4x12 and so on and so on. I really really advice you to change the chassis screws and specially the 2 screws that hold the rear shock carbon tower to the rear bulkheads (these 2 are a must).

The only one you can't replace is the one on top of the radio plate, that sits behind the brake servo thingie (sorry, don't know it's name).

Regarding the Motonica... I must say that this car is really almost indestructible, but you already know that!
Areal...Dude, how have you been man??!!!! Glad to see you are still alive. Dude, thanks for your input. You are 100% correct in stepping up in the screw length. Ayway bro, it's quite cool that you are still around. I hope you drop in more often. Take it easy dude and be sure to stay in touch!! You would be a great asset to this thread bro. Later
Old 11-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

serpentd did you get my pm
Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8lackflagracing
serpentd did you get my pm
Sorry bro, I didn't even check. I don't always get notice in my email. Let me check it now and get right back with you dude. Sorry about that. I'll check it now.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default hey Darin.

Originally Posted by Serpentd
Sorry bro, I didn't even check. I don't always get notice in my email. Let me check it now and get right back with you dude. Sorry about that. I'll check it now.
Hey Darin its been awile since we last spoke.Anyhow man I got with the new distrib and we came together an a deal for me to continue to drive for Motonica and I feel that this will be far better deal and that the new distrib will take this car where it should have been in the first place.What really made my mind was when Brad T calle me and told me he was racing for them and he was going to make parts and if I had any ideas.So right away i thought that he and I cold ffuther develop this already awsome machine. Anyhow just wanted to tell you that I am back on the scene my brotha.

Cya
Scotty Barrera

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.