Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fantom Engine and exhaust !

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Fantom Engine and exhaust !

im going to be getting a fantom tuned pipe , havent decided on single or dual stage yet. and the fantom fr 12 R ps. ill be pairing it up with a new 2 speed tranny, in my supernitro rs4 and was looking for any suggestions on gearing , or good tuning tips and feedback on the fantom . Thanks all
Old 04-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

uhmm have you seen the phantom pipe?? dont get me wrong i love fantom products but those pipes are heavy. they have a bid plaque on them
Old 04-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

I have the nrs4-2 and it is sad to say the ratios suck. It would help alot of the clutchbell gears screwed on. With that said i like the 15/18 and 44/41 gearing. One of the fastest ratios u can get is 13/20 and 44/37. I find that this sucks because the big gap b/w 1st and 2nd is too great. There is alo a 15/21 clutch bell i think too. 15/44 1st gear is very nice. I still can spin all 4's taking off and u have alot of speed before it hits 2nd.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Tech Rookie

rc man , i did notice that they were heavy , but for some reason i like the steal construction of them . can you recommend another pipe that looks/sounds good and is lighter and works well ?
Old 04-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

if you dont mind me asking, why do u want a fantom engine?
Old 04-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by me43
if you dont mind me asking, why do u want a fantom engine?
maybe he likes the color of the heads...

hey super - y not chk out STS motors http://www.teamcrc.com/ - search this site for what ppl are saying about STS. i have the sts12 and it's a very good motor - they have good product support too.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

depending on where you get the engine from, some fantoms are just not worth wat u pay

engines that i think are better and cheaper:
.12 cv-r
.15 cv-r
trinity xp .12
trinity .12 rear exhaust

and for a little more u could get a Sirio .12 engine
Old 04-08-2003, 04:41 AM
Tech Rookie

i looked at all those engines. and to me they all seemed kind of the same . the STS and the trinity sirio were my top engine choices, but then i heard things about durability with the trinity and i cancelled that being that im kinda new to nitro and want something that is pretty tough. then i moved to the orion turbo, and it seems good, its just that no one can give me any feedback on it. then was the STS RS5 turbo. and i still may get this, even though i have heard things about oil leaks and other problems about them. O.S. , i heard that the fantoms blew them away, but maybe that was some wrong information ? can you give some information or description on those engines. or some reasons to get them ? id really be very appreciative of any help you can give

Last edited by Supernitro17; 04-08-2003 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I know a guy that runs a orion wasp and it seems very good. Very good powerband. He said he just had a small air leak and he just sealed it up with some Oxygen safe silicone sealent. I haven't heard anything about Sirio except they are stupid fast. I've heard good things about STS. O.S. is super easy to tune, and they have a really smooth power band. I've had 3 O.S. motors so far. Right now I run a Mugen/Novarossi MR-12. It is very fast, almost too fast for me. After you get it tuned and stuff and you learn what it does, then it's easy.