Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
RB Concept X12 Turbo Tuned by Rody >

RB Concept X12 Turbo Tuned by Rody

Old 04-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know where i can find a RB Concept X12 Turbo Tuned by Rody? i cant find it anywhere and my LHS wont special order it for some reason.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

i think www.atomichobbies.com has them ........a very pricey motor though!!
Old 04-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

u can pay more but WHY?

http://www.teamcrc.com/inventory2003/sts_main.htm

STS motors are AWESOME and cost FAR less! search this fourm for what ppl (like me) say about STS.

Uncle Cyber (hi Dino ;-)
Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by cybertoolzz
u can pay more but WHY?

http://www.teamcrc.com/inventory2003/sts_main.htm

STS motors are AWESOME and cost FAR less! search this fourm for what ppl (like me) say about STS.

Uncle Cyber (hi Dino ;-)
The STS are nice enuff. But you cannot compare to a RB Rody.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by AMGRacer
The STS are nice enuff. But you cannot compare to a RB Rody.
i would like to see the specs of that RB Concepts X12T Rody Modified 5-Port. $315.99 - have u personallly seen an STS RS5 run against that motor?

since i haven't seen - this i would like to know what ARE the differences - technically - between these 2 motors?

what are the similarities? seems to me the specs of these 2 motor are very close in their stock form - how much would one have to pay to take an STS RS5 and modify it to match the mods of the RB?

what exactly IS modified on that RB? anybody have pics of the mods on that RB?

my point is - take the cost of the rs5 plus cost of mods (or do the mods yourself) - STILL less $$ for a motor that is an exact MATCH of the RB?

pursuing value for performance here...
Old 04-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

hey! i thought my reply would start flames everywhere - what the matter?

im saying that an STS RS5 modified (by somebody who knows what their doing) would be BETTER than a RB Rody AND cost WAY less...

flame material if i ever heard it - bordering on heresey!!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

i think AMGRacer is right nothing compares to a RB Rody, i have heard of STS but i really havent heard any good things about it and if you want to start a big battle over these two engines or companies i think im willing to defend RB
Old 04-08-2003, 12:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down sts rs5 suck

why r u comparing this engine to RB gimme me a break,

Last edited by ice-wolf; 04-08-2003 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:27 AM
Tech Elite

cybertoolzz you are entitled t your opinions so I wont be flaming you. But I have personally inspected a STS and I own a Rody 5 port. You cannot compare the workmanship and the materials. Performance wise they may be similar I cannot say for certain but I would highly doubt it.

Still the STS is good for the price, but has inferior materials and has QC problems.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

Cybertoolz.........are you smoking crack? the sts engine does not compare precision wise, or performance wiseto the rody. i have seen both on the track and its like whatching schumacher behind the wheel when the rody is on the track!

-Schumacher last season before they made rules to ruin ferrari......
Old 04-08-2003, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

talk? is this all u ppl have? u claim inferior materials - what materials does the RB use? why are the matrls superior to the MATERIALS used by STS?

does anybody have ANY hard data on RB Rody mods - modification specs, modification pics, torque/hp charts?

the rody site has very good infos - excellent pics - i see the quality of the workmanship -

still - the basic motors look very similar - a close examination of the available pics of both motors reveal only small differences in the design of the MODIFICATIONS on the Rody - the BASIC motors are a MATCH.

the sleeves of both motors have almost the same configs - there are a couple of additional details mods on the RB sleeve. the RB piston is CNC - i don't know if the STS piston is CNC tho i rather think it is.

the cranks look quite similar also - except the RB has a beveled throat from the face of the crank into the bore - both cranks have very similar cutout patterns in the face. the inlet ports look about the same - hard to see tho. it's the POLISHING of RB that is really better.

the carbs look similar also - changeable venturi notwithstanding...

line by line comparison of the tech infos match up except the RB outweighs the STS by 21grs - bigger head maybe?

STILL - the workmanship is MUCH better on the RB - that is vividly apparent. what would happen if one took the STS RS5 and MODIFIED it - did the tuned crank, all the polishing, etc. that the RB has?
1. how much work and $$ would that be?
2. what performance results might be achieved?

guys, i said it would be better just to get the fire going. but no one has SEEN a custom HAND-MODIFIED STS RS5 now - have they? I haven't! hmmm, maybe i'll do just that.... hear that Dino?

continue flaming....
Old 04-08-2003, 06:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I wouldn't say that nothing compares to a Rody... Richey still has motors out and those definately compare if not exceed a Rody. We have to give credit where it's due guys.

Jon
Old 04-08-2003, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

<SNIP>
STILL - the workmanship is MUCH better on the RB - that is vividly apparent. what would happen if one took the STS RS5 and MODIFIED it - did the tuned crank, all the polishing, etc. that the RB has?
1. how much work and $$ would that be?
2. what performance results might be achieved?
<SNIP>
I think you just answered your own question, didn't you?

. . . you spend the extra money and get the extra performance.
It has something to do with that old saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch"
Old 04-08-2003, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

...but no one has SEEN a custom HAND-MODIFIED STS RS5 now - have they? I haven't! hmmm, maybe i'll do just that...
Everyone has seen a hand-modified STS RS5. Why? Because they are all hand modified. You don't think they come out of the cast looking like that do you? I'm sure there is some room for improvement but not much. The RS5 is a good motor for the money. There have been many cases of front bearings blowing out and leaking. The durabilty and lifespan of the engine is what comes into question when cheaper materials are used. No company that ever spent any money to produce a highly precision crafted item sold it for cheap.

Anyway, you wanted to compare the engines...here's your comparison:

Performance - RB
Quality - RB
Cost Benefit - STS
Old 04-08-2003, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by rod_b
Everyone has seen a hand-modified STS RS5. Why? Because they are all hand modified. You don't think they come out of the cast looking like that do you? I'm sure there is some room for improvement but not much. The RS5 is a good motor for the money. There have been many cases of front bearings blowing out and leaking. The durabilty and lifespan of the engine is what comes into question when cheaper materials are used. No company that ever spent any money to produce a highly precision crafted item sold it for cheap.

Anyway, you wanted to compare the engines...here's your comparison:

Performance - RB
Quality - RB
Cost Benefit - STS
thnak you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.