R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Mugen MTX-4 VS Xray NT1 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/159004-mugen-mtx-4-vs-xray-nt1.html)

george_georgoul 04-15-2007 06:24 AM

Mugen MTX-4 VS Xray NT1

Dont know which car to get.

I want to race with it, still seems like early days for the xray.

HarKonnenD 04-15-2007 07:06 AM

Welcome to the forums. You can do your best with any car as each has their ups and down. Lots of people will be biased towards a brand because they own it and otherws will be due to the fact that they tested all other cars and found the right one for them. I have to admit the NT1 does have a lot of nice features, but I'm happy with the MTX4 I have right now. The car has potential box stock and really doesn't need many optional parts as some people try to make it seem like it does. Above all go with the one you have easy access to parts for.

lil-bump 04-15-2007 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Welcome to the forums. You can do your best with any car as each has their ups and down. Lots of people will be biased towards a brand because they own it and otherws will be due to the fact that they tested all other cars and found the right one for them. I have to admit the NT1 does have a lot of nice features, but I'm happy with the MTX4 I have right now. The car has potential box stock and really doesn't need many optional parts as some people try to make it seem like it does. Above all go with the one you have easy access to parts for.

I'm also happy with my MTX-4 it handles like a dream. Not to say the other cars are inferior; But if I find something I like I stick with it.

george_georgoul 04-16-2007 01:20 AM

MTX5

Are they going to come up with a MTX-5?

Is it worth waiting for that one?

Jetforce 04-16-2007 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by george_georgoul

I dont think its worth waiting because they just released the -R version. It think we can expect it next year.. If someone knows for sure than correct me ;)

Sow&Steady 04-16-2007 02:46 AM

They have already came out with the MTX4-R ... sooo, don't know about the MTX4 not needing a load of optionals but here is what make up the MTX4-R:-

- One box stock MTX4 and ....

... full list of included optionals:

- T0142 Aluminium Wheel Hub
- T0151-B Front Lower Arm
- T0161 Rear Upper Arm Mount
- T0164 Front Upright (2°)
- T0245 Front Universal Joint
- T0268 Front Belt (Rubber)
- T0269 Rear Belt (Rubber)
- T0270 Side Belt (Rubber)
- T0274 Rear Universal Joint
- T0276 Front One-Way Drive Axle
- H0369 Ventilated Brake Disk
- T0717 Aluminium Engine Mount

rmdhawaii 04-16-2007 02:57 AM

Dont know which car to get.

I want to race with it, still seems like early days for the xray.

MTX-4 is a good car out of the box, you just have to make sure you adjust your 2-speed shoes and gear mesh correctly. If there are other MTX-4 guys racing at your track, they can probably help you with any issues that may come up.

Team XRAY guys have been kicking ass with the NT1, so you know it's as good as anything else on the track. If plan your spares kit well, parts should not be an issue for you. Support wise, you just need to do your homework and learn everything you can about the car. Although the guys you race with might be running a different car than you, the concepts are all pretty much the same - so they should be able to help you a bit, but it won't be 100%.

If you are new to RC and think you'll need a lot of help, then the MTX-4 is probably the safer choice if you decided to buy a car today. If you think you can do a lot of "self help" and like a good challenge, then get NT1.

Good luck. :)

Delta9 04-16-2007 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sow&Steady
They have already came out with the MTX4-R ... sooo, don't know about the MTX4 not needing a load of optionals but here is what make up the MTX4-R:-

- One box stock MTX4 and ....

... full list of included optionals:

- T0142 Aluminium Wheel Hub
- T0151-B Front Lower Arm
- T0161 Rear Upper Arm Mount
- T0164 Front Upright (2°)
- T0245 Front Universal Joint
- T0268 Front Belt (Rubber)
- T0269 Rear Belt (Rubber)
- T0270 Side Belt (Rubber)
- T0274 Rear Universal Joint
- T0276 Front One-Way Drive Axle
- H0369 Ventilated Brake Disk
- T0717 Aluminium Engine Mount

So with the "R" version you will get all the stock parts aswell then? ie urethane belts, wheel hubs, engine mount etc? is that correct?

GK 04-16-2007 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
…Support wise, you just need to do your homework and learn everything you can about the car. Although the guys you race with might be running a different car than you, the concepts are all pretty much the same - so they should be able to help you a bit, but it won't be 100%.
If you are new to RC and think you'll need a lot of help, then the MTX-4 is probably the safer choice if you decided to buy a car today. If you think you can do a lot of "self help" and like a good challenge, then get NT1.

Believe me, you won’t have a problem with NT1 support. If you can’t get help at your track, Xray has a second to none support on their forum 24x7. Not too long ago there was a guy struggling with his ‘007, several factory guys replied right away, Paul Lemieux even offered to set up phone conversation to solve the problem. That's customer support, where else do you get that? I'm patiently waiting for my NT1 :nod:

Dredd 04-16-2007 06:45 PM

NT1 is a waste IMO...here's why

1) it's more expensive than the MTX-4, 720, RRR-Evo WCE
2) There is no Prospec so you have to buy all the hopups seperately which adds alot of cost. The way the team drivers have their cars setup is NOT how it comes out of the box...probably at least $150 in upgrades to make it how you see it running today by team drivers. A MTX4-R (prospec basically) or a RRR-Evo WCE need no hopups out of the box.
3) Some of the parts use "Hudy Spring Steel" So you will pay up to 2x more for that part vs another brand simply to get the spring steel.
4) Many LHS won't have parts right away. Sure you can always buy online, but supporting your LHS occationally is always good. Lets face it, sometimes you break something you didn't think you would and might want to find it sooner than the internet can provide.

This is my opinion based on what I know so far. Remember any car you buy be it a Serpent, Mugen, Kyosho, or XRay will be more car than you can handle right away anyhow unless you have experience with nitro cars and/or racing.

Ivan Dickson 04-16-2007 08:26 PM

If your serious about racing :sneaky: just go with MTX-4 End of dicussion. :nod: :nod: :tire: :tire:

rmdhawaii 04-18-2007 02:15 PM

So George, have you made a decision?

hav_lova 04-18-2007 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dredd
NT1 is a waste IMO...here's why

1) it's more expensive than the MTX-4, 720, RRR-Evo WCE
2) There is no Prospec so you have to buy all the hopups seperately which adds alot of cost. The way the team drivers have their cars setup is NOT how it comes out of the box...probably at least $150 in upgrades to make it how you see it running today by team drivers. A MTX4-R (prospec basically) or a RRR-Evo WCE need no hopups out of the box.
3) Some of the parts use "Hudy Spring Steel" So you will pay up to 2x more for that part vs another brand simply to get the spring steel.
4) Many LHS won't have parts right away. Sure you can always buy online, but supporting your LHS occationally is always good. Lets face it, sometimes you break something you didn't think you would and might want to find it sooner than the internet can provide.

This is my opinion based on what I know so far. Remember any car you buy be it a Serpent, Mugen, Kyosho, or XRay will be more car than you can handle right away anyhow unless you have experience with nitro cars and/or racing.

What country are you in?

Here is Australia its going to be considerably cheaper then buying a Serpent 720 :lol:

Dredd 04-18-2007 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by hav_lova
What country are you in?

Here is Australia its going to be considerably cheaper then buying a Serpent 720 :lol:

a Serpent 720 is about $400 at some online sites in the US. I haven't seen the NT1 listed anywhere, but I've been told to expect it to be more than that.

rmdhawaii 04-18-2007 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dredd
a Serpent 720 is about $400 at some online sites in the US. I haven't seen the NT1 listed anywhere, but I've been told to expect it to be more than that.

Ashford hobbies: $429