Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What is the average price for a Centex 2 Speed? >

What is the average price for a Centex 2 Speed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Old 04-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

is $110.00 worth it? Included in the price are motor mounts, 22T & 26T gears and shipping.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

That sounds about right. If you look around on Ebay you might be able to get a new one for around $70-80 if you're lucky. Most centax 2 speeds run upwards of $100.

If it makes any difference, I personally don't think it's worth it since you can make the lighten three shoe clutch with stiffer springs work just as good. The only place you'd really be gaining with the centax is at the start, where you can set the clutch to engage at high rpm, giving you a quick launch. Just my opinion though...
Old 04-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Aeon Racer
That sounds about right. If you look around on Ebay you might be able to get a new one for around $70-80 if you're lucky. Most centax 2 speeds run upwards of $100.

If it makes any difference, I personally don't think it's worth it since you can make the lighten three shoe clutch with stiffer springs work just as good. The only place you'd really be gaining with the centax is at the start, where you can set the clutch to engage at high rpm, giving you a quick launch. Just my opinion though...
Well since you said that...I'm assuming that you know what your saying...I certainly am new to Nitro and am unable to verify what half the things that get said really mean. So you think I would be fine getting the 3 shoe clutch and drilling it as per the RC10TC3 Nitro thread? Should I also look into a lightened clutch bell too?

At Rev they start IFMAR style so a quick launch wouldn't be too beneficial since there isn't anyone you gotta worry about getting ahead of before the first turn.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

I think you'll be fine with just the modified three shoe clutch assembly. A centax has it's advantages, such as precision clutch tuning, but that also requires precision adjusting equipment, plus a lot of patience to get it to work right. I would get one if they were cheaper, but I don't see wasting $110 on one if I can get something that works just about as well for about $20.

You don't necessarily need the lightened clutch bell, but yes just follow the instructions per the NTC3 thread and you should be in good shape. The lightened clutch bell will only get rid of a little bit of rotational mass, it won't affect the functionality of the clutch at all. Only possible thing it might add is a little bit of cooling for the clutch shoes, since I does allow at least a little bit of air flow through the clutch bell. I run a lightened clutch bell, but only because I needed a new one. I haven't seen a noticable performance gain since getting one...
Old 04-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Most of the ntc3's centax clutches are too small to provide any difference from a normal clutch. A properly tuned 2 or 3 shoe clutch will be just as good. And the weight of the centax is another drawback. Spend your money on something more useful such as an rd logics dual chamber pipe.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Ok Thanks!

You saved me about $115 bucks!

I can use that to look for a better motor...and dump this AE .12 when I get track time and learn how to drive Nitro...considerably different than EP...

Any motor suggestions?
Old 04-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Tech Adept

The MT12's, the Nova Rossi 12's, and the JP modified 12's are all great motors. They will run in the $150-$200 range, but are all well worth it. I run an OS .12TR and I love it; it makes great power and gets awesome fuel mileage (tuned right, I can get 6-8 minutes off a tank at race pace without losing too much power).
Old 04-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yes, get used to the way your 2-3 shoe clutch works then move on to centex when you get alot more experience. Centex clutches are great but you have to spend alot fo time and have to knwo how to adjust them correctly. Alot of keep up on them too.

I have an O.S. TR as well and I like it. Very good fuel efficientcy and a super smooth powerband with great power, almost too smooth. Right now I have a Mugen MR-12 S1 and it's a blast, alot more picky as far as tuning goes though. The O.S. is a great intermediate motor, but if you want more power get a Novarossi or Sirio, but be prepared to pull your hair out when you start tunign it. I've been so used to O.S. motors where they are very forgiving.