Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rechargeable AA's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Default rechargeable AA's

what are the best re chargeable AA batteries that I could use both in my car and in my controller??? most power? longest lasting? best deal??? any and all the info you can give.

thanks
crazy
Old 08-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: rechargeable AA's

Originally posted by corvettecrazy
what are the best re chargeable AA batteries that I could use both in my car and in my controller??? most power? longest lasting? best deal??? any and all the info you can give.

thanks
crazy
Get the GP 2000mah, though a little expensive. But guaranteed to last longer.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking

Sanyo 2100mah Ni-MH
Old 08-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

I've been using Grandcell AA for the last 18 months and I'm sold on 'em! They are 1.5V rechargeable alkaline magnesium batts that hold up really well, though contrary to the mfg's claims of being memory free, I found that if I didn't discharge them every so often they went flat. A good dump brings them right back up to snuff. I get a couple of weekends per charge, at full charge (all three lights lit on my Fut PEKA FM). I recommend them. Do a search on ebay for Grandcell AA ... several guys sell them but I bought from hitek598 and got a great deal each time I bought from him, you can get them with or without the charger. The big point for me was rechargeable 1.5V's that got me decent reliable service ... my 2 cents

- John
Old 08-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Do you have to use their special charger or can they be charged with our regular chargers?
Old 08-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Tech Regular

Default Grandcells

I too used grandcell's for a while and found that they didn't hold up in my MX3. Went fine in my Futaba Megatech but in the higher drain MX3 they didn't cut it. I would recommend getting the Grandcell charger becuase i tried charging them in an Energizer charger and a cell blew up.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

I use grandcells too
They are good but have a short life
You do need a special charger, and they arent recommened in high draw components eg the reciever running servos etc
but i find they work fine in my transmitter
Old 08-03-2003, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: rechargeable AA's

Originally posted by thefuzzclub
Get the GP 2000mah, though a little expensive. But guaranteed to last longer.
I second that. Use the GP 2000mah
Old 08-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

I've only used the accompanying charger on my Grandcells but it's cheap and comes with 12/16/24 packs of batteries. Since the Grandcells aren't NiCd or NiMh, I think their charger is a must ... at least for non-tech types like myself - a good EE could probably dissect a charger and see what so special, if anything. It's just a simple plug-into-the-wall rack that holds 4 cells. Extra chargers are cheap too, I got two my first order.

Regarding usage at higher amp draws, like servo packs or the multi-model TXs, I have to say that I have not used them in those applications. I've only used them in my Fut PEKA fm transmitters (and my wife's elec. toothbrush) and they work great there.

For you guys that got a short life out of 'em, did you ever drain them completely with a bulb discharger? When I first got them, I would use them till my TX showed 'medium' (two lites lit), then recharge them - usually overnight or til the green 'ready' lite came on on their charger. I got 6-8 5 minute heats at 'full charge' when they were new. But after a couple of times doing this, the volts really dropped & the discharge curve was crap; I'd get 1.5V for only a few minutes at best, then 'medium' again for maybe 15-20 minutes of use. Pllfftt on that! So I took the 8 cells, put them in Radio Shack 8-cell battery tray, attached 1 #1157 bulb and drained them. [They wuz hot! LOL], but when I let them cool & charged them again they came back like new. If you haven't pitched them you might give it a try ... [Obligatory Disclaimer: I know this is NOT what the Mfg recommends, and it goes against the "no memory syndrome" claim of the Mfg, and you likely would void any warranty (?), but I just wanted to share what worked for me.]

-John
Old 08-05-2003, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

They tend to leak if u put them in high draw components... well thats my experience.
My ones in my Tx are still great i havnt charged em in about 4 months
still green light
In the grandcell manual it says they dont like to be discharged. But i will try it on my next charge if the voltage goes down.