Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MTX-4R

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I run all my belts loose as it free's up the car. I have also noticed guys that run the side belt tight tend to throw it when the tap a wall.

I use the brake adj you indicate to tune my brakes for the track when running a one-way. I tighten the knob until I have perfect drag brakes.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtopher_aaron
Random questions incoming!!!

1. How hard do you guys set your brakes to? Im referring to that adjustment on the car on top of the throttle servo (sorry I dont know whats it called)

2. Belt tension, how much tension is needed? is stiffer better or looser? Should I aim for loose or stiff?

Thanks in advance guys..
Chris,
I set my belts loose. These are considered timing belts not friction belts. If you over tighten your belts is will cause unwanted drag. Same as the above post. I like to set my breaks mechanically first; then I fine tune them with brake expo.

Pass you soon...
Old 02-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Anybody ever use 3racing spur gears?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

anyone has tried these bands?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Side-MTX-4-High-...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Seisick
Yes I have used them and they work really good. Only problem is I haven't had one break. When I had one go the teeth stripped on the belt but didn't break.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1. How hard do you guys set your brakes to? Im referring to that adjustment on the car on top of the throttle servo (sorry I dont know whats it called)

2. Belt tension, how much tension is needed? is stiffer better or looser? Should I aim for loose or stiff?

Thanks in advance guys..
Chris,
Q 1
Brakes ??? Whats that ??? Nah seriously every track is different, for brakes. Even the time of day and the amount of traction can change your adjustment on the brakes, so just test and go, that is pretty simple to rectify on the fly by a pitman just tighten or loosen on the car...

Q 2
Belt tension will also for me depend on a few things traction, how worn the belt is, how long the main is, but on the average I would tell you to start off mid point. To me it seems as if rubber belts have a more cohesive power transfer when they are not as tight, To tight especially on the rear can tend to snap the rear around if you pop the throttle, some people I have seen like that rear sway and can use it to thier advantage.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by VA_Racer
Anybody ever use 3racing spur gears?

The 3racing gears are OK but they require a really perfect mesh, if your engine shifts or your mesh is off the first contact you have the gears are done. I have been using them for a long time now. A good friend of mine Saul turned me on to them, he was using them and had noting but good things to say about them, to me they seemed to have less wear issues on smooth tracks but a bumpy or low traction track they are not my first choice.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Seisick

I've tried those belts and I was not impressed. I found they only last about half as long. If it were me; buy the mugen belts. IMHO

Pass you soon...
Old 02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks in advance guys..
Chris,
Loose belts always. If the pulleys and belts are good they won't slip.

Brakes, well that depends on how fast I'm going at the end of the straight. I run enough brakes so I can brake as late as possible but still make the turn.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the help guys..

Belt tension = Loose is better
Brakes = Match every track..

Got it !!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the help guys..

Belt tension = Loose is better
Brakes = Match every track..

Got it !!
I think belt tension stiffness is debate-able. .... I prefer my car's belt tension is rather stiff but not too stiff. Loose belt tension can cause missing teeth if you accidentally hit a wall.

I use Armor All Original Protectant to clean scrub the belt after use. Some of my car's belts are already 4 years old now
Old 02-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by asw7576
I think belt tension stiffness is debate-able. .... I prefer my car's belt tension is rather stiff but not too stiff. Loose belt tension can cause missing teeth if you accidentally hit a wall.

I use Armor All Original Protectant to clean scrub the belt after use. Some of my car's belts are already 4 years old now
4 years? Legendary !! What do you use to scrub down the belt ? toothbrush ? and can i just use something like WD40 to spray on the belts n then toothbrush them ?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

I think WD-40 is debatable. I personally have used it just prior to a race and it has a very noticable affect on loosening up the drivetrain. My friend's think, and I somewhat agree that it does seem to shorten the life of the belt. I guess there is some give and take with that. I have never tried armor all but it does interest me. If it gives the "free-ness" without loss of life, sounds like a win/win.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

4 years? Legendary !! What do you use to scrub down the belt ? toothbrush ? and can i just use something like WD40 to spray on the belts n then toothbrush them ?
I usually use a clean bath towel ( that I don't use anymore ) to wipe the belt clean. Dip the towel into armor all liquid and start wiping ( by pinching ) the belt. When the towel is dirty, I change to another section that is still clean, and restart the process again.

I also notice the groove inside the pulley's teeth are cleaner too with armor all treatment. Less prone to see the dirt stuck within the pulley's teeth.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by getpip
No...

If you look at the box .. there is a long edge and a short edge.

On the Xray the long edge mounts along the top deck ...

On the MTX the two holes on the short edge align perfectly with the holes in the top deck.... these are the holes I have used to mount mine.

If anyone wants pics of this let me know.
Get some pics if you can plz!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.