Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MTX-4R

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I never had a problem with it in my car , race after race after race. (short track) Then took the exact same car , same setup , motor etc etc to a large grippy track with long straights and the gear stripped in about 10 minutes of during a fool around test session.

But anyhow Ive been out of the scene for a little , from what I saw mugen has new gears....not to beat a dead horse if it has been but are these effective for the stripping issue, were they made for the issue?
Different gears won't fix a stripping issue. There's a physical reason why gears strip. Too many variables to point the finger at one thing, but if you mesh right, lock tight, and keep things on the rear bulkhead tight, you really shouldn't have issues. I've stripped gears, but every time I've found a different culprit. But it seems it's not just the mugens that have this issue, RRR, NT1, TM, they all strip if something isn't right. So to say one brand of car has gear stripping issues is kinda like saying $hit doesn't stink.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I too was plagued with gear stripping problems when I first got my mugen. I solved it by using longer screws to bolt the engine down. I do believe that mugen needs to revisit those screws. 8mm is not strong enough to hold our new powerfull .12 mills. I use a 10mm screw and that helped more than just getting the new gears and the new two speed clutch shoe/springs set. The only few times now that I strip gears is basiclally when my engine shifts due to not tightening it correctly or a big stone gets in there. I also use a very tight mesh. I follow the same messh technique a lot of gurus use.

I raced for two days hard this past weekend and no gear strip problems.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Baedarlboo
Different gears won't fix a stripping issue. There's a physical reason why gears strip. Too many variables to point the finger at one thing, but if you mesh right, lock tight, and keep things on the rear bulkhead tight, you really shouldn't have issues. I've stripped gears, but every time I've found a different culprit. But it seems it's not just the mugens that have this issue, RRR, NT1, TM, they all strip if something isn't right. So to say one brand of car has gear stripping issues is kinda like saying $hit doesn't stink.

tru, this car needs to be rock hard solid to avoid this, and when the cars started using the .8 gears, is when the issue began. even the .8 gears on the mtx3 stripped.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Exactly what he said . I bought my mugen used and im pretty sure it was sold because he couldnt figure it out. Now i have 3 racedays on it with no problems...Thats 50 minutes of qualifies and 30 minutes of mains. This doesnt count all my practice laps amd i broke in a new engine. Small or big track I dont think it makes a difference. I ran 2 days at a smaller track and this past weekend at 301 in MD which is big and all was fine.

Keep your car tight and everything will be fine
Old 10-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

i have two another solutions. first, if you are using the stock engine mounts, be sure that the bottom surfaces of the engine mounts are parallel, so all the four corners of the mounts sit same time to the chassis. if only 3 of them are touching at the same time, recheck the mounts.

another issue is, when you are tigtening the rear side belt pulley to the shaft, be sure that there is nearly 1mm space between pulley and bulkhead so the shaft could play a little side to side. after that, adjust your rear belt pulley so its straight when the space of the shaft is on the spur side. by doing this, when the belt finds the right place of the shaft, spur gears are able to move a little bit and this doesnt stress them.

these should help.

hope that u understood my english
Old 10-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

nitrobeast, actually I never stripped a gear on that particluar 4r. It was a used mtx4 that I had the problem with. How did you like 301 raceway? Place is awesome isnt it
Old 10-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

anybody know the weight difference between the mugen 3mm and 4mm chassis ?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My r40 never had one issue. I only replaced gears due to sand wear from the florida environment.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gentleman81
tru, this car needs to be rock hard solid to avoid this, and when the cars started using the .8 gears, is when the issue began. even the .8 gears on the mtx3 stripped.

I had about 4-5 guys with the 3 and they loved it and ran it all around florida then they went with the 4 and stripped over and over and over. Were talking owners of companies , now team serpent drivers and so on. These guys were the top of the charts and all left the mtx-4 in one weekend after it came out.

But not bashing the car I love it just still shocking to see it always talked about even months and months after its release.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

yeah mugen needs to fix this problem
Old 10-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I too ran the 3. It was a used car and I ran the car from march 2006 to march 2007(bought a 4). I honestly can't remember stripping a gear. I do remember running the same spur gears for months and only changed them because they looked really beat up. The 4 uses the same spur gears as the 3, so why is the 4 stripping like hell.

What changed in the drivetrain going from the 3 to the 4? I think the answer is there.

I still love Mugen but damn that s$%t is annoying.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well it seems to be touch and go with the gears striping, because i have run the Mtx4 upgraded to an R and i have never striped a gear and i have just completed 2 seasons with a second hand car.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardns
anybody know the weight difference between the mugen 3mm and 4mm chassis ?
Not sure how much the stock 3mm chassis weighs but the mugen 4mm weighs in at 105 grams. The stock I think was around the mid to high 90's
Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NiTrO BoOsTeR
well it seems to be touch and go with the gears striping, because i have run the Mtx4 upgraded to an R and i have never striped a gear and i have just completed 2 seasons with a second hand car.
You are so lucky. All I can say
Old 10-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

just a stupid question are u guys using a 1 piece engine mount cause that is what im using, dunno if it makes a difference, also i have a little bit of play in my gears just so they spin freely without bind, and also my clutch bell has rubbed against the 2 speed housing and it doesnt make a difference (just my experience and something i have read in this forum as a possible cause)

also at the track i run at no1 strips gears i have run both .7hp and 1.4hp and it doesnt make any difference and its the same with the other racers

Mitchell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.