Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MTX-4R

Old 04-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Hi Francis or anyone with car setup expertise,

I'm about to do pro squat in my mtx4 and mrx4. My goal : I want to get more steering off throttle, especially mid cornering so I can turn tightly near the apex with higher cornering speed.

Can you confirm pro squat described by xray is correct and effective ?

That's all.

THANKS
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-4R-prosquat.jpg  
Old 04-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Hi Francis or anyone with car setup expertise,

I'm about to do pro squat in my mtx4 and mrx4. My goal : I want to get more steering off throttle, especially mid cornering so I can turn tightly near the apex with higher cornering speed.

Can you confirm pro squat described by xray is correct and effective ?

That's all.

THANKS

I've only tried the Antisquat and it makes the car feel like it has more rear traction but it turns in better and has better forward bite. I've never tried the prosquat.....

I pretty much just run my car with two rear settings now. Lower arm possition and medium.... I try to stay away from all the anti and pro squat settings....
IMO you would be better off just trying some more traditional adjustments to get more turn in. I would start off by trying to narrow out the front
Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

adjustable rear swaybar question:

anyone care to share comments regarding testing or use on the MTX4R? (heard it makes the car lazy thru chicanes)
Old 04-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

See the new spur gears yet?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
See the new spur gears yet?
http://www.mugenseiki.co.jp/mugen/menuejfi.htm

more gearing choices is always nice, I'll be interested to see if these are harder material?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it states its a harder material underneath
Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Gear stripping nightmare

I stripped 9 2nd spurs at the Kyosho US Open this week. I was 1 spur gear away from buying a Kyosho

After I stripped the third one I did everything from nitrokb.......................everything. Still stripped

This is what I know for a fact. Gear spacing means nothing all the gears are the same diameter. You can run any combination you want.

Spacing the 2 speed shoes out did nothing. Yeah it shifted smoother but I still stripped.

New shaft same result.

New end bell and clutch bearings. Yep you guessed it......stripped

What did I find? The pressure plate was touching the 2nd gear housing. It was getting very very hot. You couldn't even touch the end of the shaft. I thought it was the sway so I put on the blade. Anyone else notice the groove on the 2nd gear housing?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
Anyone else notice the groove on the 2nd gear housing?
My 2nd gear housing has a nice groove on it, it occurs when your car jumps on the track, or if your revving your engine while lifting up the car. You can either use the bladed sway-bar, or wait till the groove is big enough so it won't rub.
Have you checked your engine mounts for any stripped threads, or your chassis if its bent?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

it can be from the swaybar, only if your links are to short and you use alot of droop. Or from the clutch bell touching. I ran a 3Racing spur on the second housing on the weekend, the bell was rubbing on the housing causing enough heat that the screws melted out of the spur gear. check your gear mesh first.

Originally Posted by jfro6512
My 2nd gear housing has a nice groove on it, it occurs when your car jumps on the track, or if your revving your engine while lifting up the car. You can either use the bladed sway-bar, or wait till the groove is big enough so it won't rub.
Have you checked your engine mounts for any stripped threads, or your chassis if its bent?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

My swaybar was touching a bit the second gear so I added 1 mm or 2 of shims underneath the swaybar housing plate. Did the trick !
Old 04-15-2008, 03:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Canuck
My swaybar was touching a bit the second gear so I added 1 mm or 2 of shims underneath the swaybar housing plate. Did the trick !
Or increase the height of turnbuckles that connects to stabiliser rod.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asw7576
Or increase the height of turnbuckles that connects to stabiliser rod.
I like that better. I am going to remove the shims and increase the height of the turnbuckles. Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

It's not the sway bar.............how do I know? I was using the blade sway bar. I didn't have the problem until I put on a new 2nd gear housing. Thew old one had a nice groove around it and I never stripped with that one. The night before qualifying started I put on fresh parts, new housing, shaft, and first gear one-way. I stripped gears from then on.The groove comes from either the clutch bell or the pressure plate. I depends on how you setup the clutch. I run Picco's so I use the collet that comes with it. It pushes the flywheel out a little more than say one for Novarossi. So I build my clutch the pressure plate comes out just far enough to touch the 2 speed. I sat and blipped the throttle and watched it cut into it. Trust me on this............I'm trying to save my Mugen brothers the head ache. If anyone has noticed anything else chime in please.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boz
it can be from the swaybar, only if your links are to short and you use alot of droop. Or from the clutch bell touching. I ran a 3Racing spur on the second housing on the weekend, the bell was rubbing on the housing causing enough heat that the screws melted out of the spur gear. check your gear mesh first.
I was using the stock housing but I realized too that it was heating up. I stripped one as i pulled into the pits. I got the car grabbed the gear and sure enough it was soft as hell. You can clearly see it was melted.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
It's not the sway bar.............how do I know? I was using the blade sway bar. I didn't have the problem until I put on a new 2nd gear housing. Thew old one had a nice groove around it and I never stripped with that one. The night before qualifying started I put on fresh parts, new housing, shaft, and first gear one-way. I stripped gears from then on.The groove comes from either the clutch bell or the pressure plate. I depends on how you setup the clutch. I run Picco's so I use the collet that comes with it. It pushes the flywheel out a little more than say one for Novarossi. So I build my clutch the pressure plate comes out just far enough to touch the 2 speed. I sat and blipped the throttle and watched it cut into it. Trust me on this............I'm trying to save my Mugen brothers the head ache. If anyone has noticed anything else chime in please.
I'm curious, what is your gearing sizes ? Pinions and spurs ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.