Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MTX-4R

Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the trick to the stripping of 2nd spurs is to buy the steel pinions, the club leader at our club in South Australia is leading with top 3 MTX-4R following his top one position!

The Key is and his success is to run steel pinions, since the change never again did he strip a gear!

I hope this tip helps for you all!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spenzalii
I'm running 18/24 on the pinion and 59/53 on the spur with my Ninja. I believe a few JPs run something similar.

Thanks for the info. I'm running a Nova 3sct. I was going to start with 18/24 on the pinion and 60/54 on the spur. But your advise gives me a starting point. thanks again.

Pass you soon...
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

thanks for the good info guys, i will go with 24

Originally Posted by jgreen
if you use the 24 tooth you need a 2mm split on your tires
rear 60mm front 58mm.
if you use the 25 tooth its even 1 to 1 front to rear but i think
the tire wear is more!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tag
hi all, i am in the process of rebuilding my mtx-4 ( not the R ) , gave it a good clean and replaced needed plastic parts , anyways, i noticed the new pully set i bought comes with 24 T and 25 T side pullys, it has been a while since the car was build i forgot which pully i should use ? what's the differecen btw 24 compared with 25 Ts ?

thanks for the help

isnt there a performance difference too?
Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Red face Option Parts

Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak
the trick to the stripping of 2nd spurs is to buy the steel pinions, the club leader at our club in South Australia is leading with top 3 MTX-4R following his top one position!

The Key is and his success is to run steel pinions, since the change never again did he strip a gear!

I hope this tip helps for you all!
hi,

Im from Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and hoping you could suggest any shop in Australia sell option parts for MTX4R. I gues its cheaper there...

Thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gentleman81
Hey mate,

I think the smaller toothed pully on the side gives you front overdrive

http://www.mugenseiki.com/mtx4-overdriveratio.pdf

Btw with the gears I stopped stripping them because a mate notices I had too much gap between the 2 speed shoe and the housing, it was engaging too hard.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey All Mugen Friends,

Well after some hard thinking and options in the selection between what 1/10th car kit i was gonna buy i ended going for the Mugen MTX-4R as most of my club mates run the car kit and seem to do very well.

My option did range from:
Serpent 720 2009
Kyosho V-One RRR Evo 2
NT1
Mugen MTX-4R....

Well i bought the car from www.amainhobbies.com and its on its way, finally i can start thinking of building and get back into racing.

Not going to ask for any tips as i think its best to read through the forum and talk to my club boys for there setup.

Look forward in sharing some news, tips and racing photos and videos with you all in the near future!

Regards
Frankie
Old 05-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Uga
Tech Regular

Kodak Hodak, you have made a good choice, welcome to the club
Old 05-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gentleman81
sorry gent i've been working a lot lately and not been on the pc. yes there is a performance difference with the 25 tooth side pulley. i found if gives it more front bite. i like it much better than the 24. i use a millimeter and 1/2 front to rear tire split.
as for taking the 2 spider gears and the bar out of the diff i was talking to art carbonell at the starting of this last forgass season about how much smaller they kyosho and xray diffs. thats when he told me that he had taken that out of his diff and that it made the car much smoother all the way around, especially under hard braking.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SuperstarBG
sorry gent i've been working a lot lately and not been on the pc. yes there is a performance difference with the 25 tooth side pulley. i found if gives it more front bite. i like it much better than the 24. i use a millimeter and 1/2 front to rear tire split.
as for taking the 2 spider gears and the bar out of the diff i was talking to art carbonell at the starting of this last forgass season about how much smaller they kyosho and xray diffs. thats when he told me that he had taken that out of his diff and that it made the car much smoother all the way around, especially under hard braking.
So basically you are talking about taking the top bar and the two gears out of the diff? And if you are running a front diff can you do it there also?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

I have not tried it, but plan on it You'll have to go with thicker diff fluid to achieve the same diff action. Also make sure your diff is shim properly with only two spyder gears you could strip the diff under hard acceleration

Last edited by lil-bump; 05-17-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by VA_Racer
So basically you are talking about taking the top bar and the two gears out of the diff? And if you are running a front diff can you do it there also?
yes you can with both. just add a little more diff fluid
Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I have not tried it, but plan on it You'll have to go with thicker diff fluid to achieve the same diff action. Also make sure your diff is shim properly with only two spyder gears you could strip the diff under hard accellaration
try it lil bump, i got a Max XXL 3 and can yank the trigger with the best of them havent stripped one yet
Old 05-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SuperstarBG
try it lil bump, i got a Max XXL 3 and can yank the trigger with the best of them havent stripped one yet
OH I will!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Mugen MTX4R

I have had my Mugen for a couple of years now, and upgraded it to the
MTX4R, and have had countless engine,pipe combos in it, and I bet I can count on one hand how many spur gears I have stripped.
If the chassis plate is tweaked, gear mesh off,bent layshaft, any number of things can cause you to strip spur gears.
I also have a couple of Kyosho RRRs, and one of the spur gears stripped every time I ran it. I found the bearings in the lay shaft gritty, and the lay shaft itself slightly bent. This was well over a year ago, and even now, the Mugen and both RRRs have not stripped gears in over a year, and I run all three cars every weekend.
Check your bearings, shafts, engine alignment, radio plate.
There must be something you have over looked, or not thought of checking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.