Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nitro fuel shelf life?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Default nitro fuel shelf life?

Hi im new to the boards here and have a question that im sure alot of you will no the answer to.

What is the Shelf life of Nitro Fuel, The reason i ask is i have a HPI rs4 rtr2 that broke about 1.5yrs ago. (Pull Start Broke) Well i just got around to fixing it and decided to use it this weekend. Only problem is the thing wont start for anything. I've got fuel, Glow plug is working properly. The only thing i can think of is the fuel. I even thought maybe i flooded the motor but ive cleared the fuel out of it a few times and started over so i dont think its a flooding issues.

Any help would be great

Thanks in advance
-BaggedGP
Old 04-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Well I just came back into Nitro racing and I’m using the fuel I purchased in 2004, I don’t recommend it for anyone else, but it still works fine for my engine, idles nice, and runs smooth.

Your engine may be on its last legs, How was it running 2 years ago on your last tank? were the carb settings correct? and im not sure about the longevity of the engine that comes with the HPI RS4 RTR 2
Old 04-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Wow 2004, This is the only thing i can imagine it being.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

All depends on a few factors.

1. Was it in the sun?
2. Was it on the ground?
3. Was it in a condition in which the temperatures fluctuate a lot?
4. How full was the bottle , if its low its bad.

If you have a full bottle , thats stored inside in a controlled environment on a shelf up high in the dark. It should be good for awhile.

But with fuel and racing if your a racer its best to have the freshest nitro , if your bashing then its ok. Another thing is if the motor is giving trouble its worth a shot trying another newer fuel.

But if the budget is slim it might be worthwhile looking over other things , glow-plug , tuning , motor compression (pop).
Old 04-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

From my experience, it should last well over 1 year. In Quebec we stop racing in september and the season restarts in may. I regularly store fuel over winter and there are no problems.
I store mine with air squeezed out the bottle, in my pit bag that is in the air and in the dark.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

After re-reading your post I know exactly what it is. Its your glow starter. A stanard alkaline battery will drop voltage fast and sometimes wont have enough to start the car.

A good choice is getting a hobbico 1.5V hobby / latern battery and getting a connector for it. Its like 20 bucks for everything. These things stay hot and dont loose charge for awhile.

This gives an ample window of high enough charge to make it easier to start the motor. If youve had your glow-starter on the motor for awhile the battery is probably too low now.

A glow-starter should stick on the car for 10 seconds max , if it doesnt start you need to re analyze what your doing.

Make sure enough fuel is primed into the motor. Then place on the glow-starter and give it a try with a fresh battery. You might want to also raise up your idle some. Make sure the car is off the ground when starting so it wont take off. You can also just blip the throttle but its hard without two people.

Another trick is pinching the fuel line , this will starve the motor and make it lean out some which can help it start up or at least show signs of starting. You might want to lean your lsn some as well youll definently need to check the carb opening. Make sure its about 1mm. It should close all the way when closing throttle.

After that you should start it up. Another idea is to get a D battery glow-starter those tend to last longer , or get a C battery starter and buy a IB 4200 HV battery. You would need a charger for it that can handle single cell. Another thing is to buy the rechargable kits and replace the stock battery with the ib 4200 hv battery. That comes with a charger that should charge it.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
After re-reading your post I know exactly what it is. Its your glow starter. A stanard alkaline battery will drop voltage fast and sometimes wont have enough to start the car.

A good choice is getting a hobbico 1.5V hobby / latern battery and getting a connector for it. Its like 20 bucks for everything. These things stay hot and dont loose charge for awhile.

This gives an ample window of high enough charge to make it easier to start the motor. If youve had your glow-starter on the motor for awhile the battery is probably too low now.

A glow-starter should stick on the car for 10 seconds max , if it doesnt start you need to re analyze what your doing.

Make sure enough fuel is primed into the motor. Then place on the glow-starter and give it a try with a fresh battery. You might want to also raise up your idle some. Make sure the car is off the ground when starting so it wont take off. You can also just blip the throttle but its hard without two people.

Another trick is pinching the fuel line , this will starve the motor and make it lean out some which can help it start up or at least show signs of starting. You might want to lean your lsn some as well youll definently need to check the carb opening. Make sure its about 1mm. It should close all the way when closing throttle.

After that you should start it up. Another idea is to get a D battery glow-starter those tend to last longer , or get a C battery starter and buy a IB 4200 HV battery. You would need a charger for it that can handle single cell. Another thing is to buy the rechargable kits and replace the stock battery with the ib 4200 hv battery. That comes with a charger that should charge it.

I have a C, D and a large rechargable one. I have recharged and put new batterys on the C & D with no luck. Ill try and make it to the hobby shop and get a new bottle of fluid and glow plug for safe measures. The fuel i have was only 1/4 full and the was in the stored in the dark in the garage
Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by baggegp
I have a C, D and a large rechargable one. I have recharged and put new batterys on the C & D with no luck. Ill try and make it to the hobby shop and get a new bottle of fluid and glow plug for safe measures. The fuel i have was only 1/4 full and the was in the stored in the dark in the garage
Hmm yeah if you have a nice lhs take it to them for sure.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Hmm yeah if you have a nice lhs take it to them for sure.
im gonna try some new fuel 1st
Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Fuel storing tips.
-Place it on cardboard. Not directly on the ground.
-May seem obvious but use one bottle before you open another. Fuel lasts longer when its not exposed to air/moisture.
-If you can see drops of condensation inside the fuel bottle it's no good. Get rid of it, it will just cause you problems.
-Don't store fuel in the sun for extended periods. If you're at the track (outdoors), put the fuel in car carrier bag or under a table so it's not always in direct sunlight.
-When storing fuel put it in a cardboard box or put something over it so it isn't exposed to light.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I know this is a bit late, but I have about a half gallon of blue thunder %20 race formula. It's been sitting on the bottom shelf of my cabinet for about a year and a half. it's been open and used, but my car broke and the fuel just sat there. I bought a new car (hpi nitro RS4 3 drift, for those of you wondering) and I will have to break it in and I was wondering of you guys thought it would still be good or would i have to buy another gallon. Im skeptical of it working, 1 because it's the infamous "smurf juice" that everyone hates. and 2 because if im right, nitromethane likes to evaporate. im secretly hoping it doesnt work so i can buy a new gallon of the good stuff. the clear stuff. thanks
Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by therealdede
I know this is a bit late, but I have about a half gallon of blue thunder %20 race formula. It's been sitting on the bottom shelf of my cabinet for about a year and a half. it's been open and used, but my car broke and the fuel just sat there. I bought a new car (hpi nitro RS4 3 drift, for those of you wondering) and I will have to break it in and I was wondering of you guys thought it would still be good or would i have to buy another gallon. Im skeptical of it working, 1 because it's the infamous "smurf juice" that everyone hates. and 2 because if im right, nitromethane likes to evaporate. im secretly hoping it doesnt work so i can buy a new gallon of the good stuff. the clear stuff. thanks

It should be fine as long as it was well sealed, and the temperature was constant as stated above. Give it a big shake, and make sure its a nice blue. I have heard of Thunder going green before, and i think that was because of the oil possibily settling.

Fuel is just like everything else in RC. Everyone has a preference of fuel, batteries, and cars. There is nothing wronge with Blue Thunder Fuel. (Aka Smurf Piss).

Shawn

Shawn
Old 06-17-2012, 02:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Id say if it was sealed up very well where moisture couldnt get in and it had been kept in a cool dark area without a lot of fluctuation in temperature you should be fine using some nitro that had been sitting around 5 years.