R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   MRX4-R or 960-07 honest opinions please (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/156463-mrx4-r-960-07-honest-opinions-please.html)

azcau 03-28-2007 04:23 PM

MRX4-R or 960-07 honest opinions please

Looking for honest opinions on which is best for club racing. I have heard the Serpent is good but hard to nail the setup.

Pooh2 03-28-2007 04:31 PM

I say get the MRX4R. It's a really good car! Strong and not hard 2 find a setup.

azcau 03-28-2007 04:38 PM

Sorry I should clarify I already run a 4R (early version) and love it. My bro is looking to upgrade from a 950R

MERCCER4LIFE 03-28-2007 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by azcau
Sorry I should clarify I already run a 4R (early version) and love it. My bro is looking to upgrade from a 950R

GET THE 960 O7 VERSION

azcau 03-28-2007 04:43 PM

Why?

Originally Posted by MERCCER4LIFE
GET THE 96 O7 VERSION

MERCCER4LIFE 03-28-2007 04:45 PM

Why?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156318

this thread will tell you the big differences from the 950R

rob...

azcau 03-28-2007 04:46 PM

thanks anyway I'm looking for the differences between the 4R and 07 not the 950R and 07

MERCCER4LIFE 03-28-2007 04:49 PM

thanks anyway I'm looking for the differences between the 4R and 07 not the 950R and 07

oh,i am not familar with the MRX 4R...

occ 03-28-2007 05:20 PM

What exactly do you want everyone to say? The guys who run a Serpent will tell you to run a Serpent, and the guys who run a Mugen will tell you to run a Mugen.

Also, of course there are differences between the 4R & the 07. In my view, the Mugen is a lot easier to setup than the Serpent. But hey, what would I know, I drive a Kyosho.

Ffejdat 03-28-2007 06:22 PM

If your brother is going to be racing with you, I would recommend the MX-4R, just because of parts sharing, tires, etc...

Osiris 75 03-28-2007 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
If your brother is going to be racing with you, I would recommend the MX-4R, just because of parts sharing, tires, etc...

:nod:

azcau 03-28-2007 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by occ
What exactly do you want everyone to say? The guys who run a Serpent will tell you to run a Serpent, and the guys who run a Mugen will tell you to run a Mugen.

Also, of course there are differences between the 4R & the 07. In my view, the Mugen is a lot easier to setup than the Serpent. But hey, what would I know, I drive a Kyosho.

I agree with the Serpent guys loving Serpent and the Mugen guys loving Mugen. I guess I was maybe looking for someone that had run both and also the pros and cons of each car. Maybe we should all go Kyosho !!

If your brother is going to be racing with you, I would recommend the MRX-4R, just because of parts sharing, tires, etc...
This too is an excellent point but if the Serpent is way better then maybe I swap to Serpent

new3 03-28-2007 07:32 PM

i personally own both cars . it becomes a driving and track issue in your area. i run in so cal i have all the latest info for both car. I tend to run what i like. so i personally race the serpent because it fits my driving style. my set up give you alot of steering yet the rear end is very stable. with my setup i put it where i want the mugan in my opinion has a better clutch. And it has thet loose feel. Consider that most people run the serpent long and the team drivers run the mugan 8mm shorter these setups are apples and oranges. so the are very different. both car are very good and will treat you very well. I you are a beginner i would go to your local hobbie shop and see what they sell, and get that one. if that doesn't matter i believe the serpent is a little cheaper. when you buy either one of these cars remember to buy the associated body with it. mugan the whip and serpent the central lola. i personally thingk that lola maybe the best 1/8th scale body out there period. it gives the serpent a percission feel that i fell in love with. with my mrx4r i went back to the lola the car is more predictable to me. i do know the mugan like very high bite surfaces. Dont get me wrong you can get it to work anywhere but then you will have to make some compromises. The serpent like med bit i run 38 's even 40's . the mugan i run 35 and 38. the mugan is a little better and i mean very little in exceleration. i like the serpent going into the corner better. tyou can carry more speed into the corner in my opinion. the big difference the serpent is a more stable car going in the corner and over the bumps. mugan can be a little tail happy but a lot of people like that and the clutch i am ablr to get more offthe corner. but this comes at a price where i can pitch the car a little sideways coming off the corner.

Roniel_R 03-28-2007 08:26 PM

azcua you got pm.....

BIGTACO 03-28-2007 08:37 PM

As the quality and price of RC cars goes up, the overall engineering differences and functional differences between cars tends to go down. Manufacturers of high end RC cars like we own are all trying to accomplish the same thing. The catch is that they all have to adhere to that same laws of physics. What happens, is that after 20 years of trial, testing, and racing, companies like Mugen, Serpent, and Kyosho end up with very very similar offerings to the table. The engineering of high end RCs has gotten to the point now that unless the gravitational constant of the earth increases we won't see much more drastic improvement.

So to answer your question from my point of view. Pick the car your track supports via parts ect. Either car is a good choice :nod: