Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning your car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Default Cleaning your car

Just wanted to get everyone's take on cleaning your car. How often do you do it? How exactly do you do it? What do you use?

I'm sure not everyone has the same methods, and I'm interested to hear what everyone else does. Also, becides keeping the engine cleaned out and lubed every so often, keeping the thrust bearing greased, and basic cleaning of all the dirt and crap off of the car as well as after-run and air filter maintenance what else is there to take apart and lube or clean?

Basically right now I do all the above and also remove the wheels, loosen or remove the top deck, loosen up the engine a bit so I can wiggle it and get in there. Then I spray a light coat of nitro cleaner on the car to spray off any of the loose dirt and stuff. Then I use a rag or paper towel and a tooth brush (sometimes with some alcohol) to remove everything I can get at.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i usually pull my rrr apart in stages eg. 1st the radio tray then the whole rear end and then the battery. i then clean the car using denatured alcohol (near the bearings and electrics) and brake or carby cleaner near the exhaust, engine and chassis.

carby cleaner and brake cleaner are much cheaper than nitro cleaner although i would be careful with carby cleaner cause some brands can melt plastic
Old 03-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by twiggy
i usually pull my rrr apart in stages eg. 1st the radio tray then the whole rear end and then the battery. i then clean the car using denatured alcohol (near the bearings and electrics) and brake or carby cleaner near the exhaust, engine and chassis.

carby cleaner and brake cleaner are much cheaper than nitro cleaner although i would be careful with carby cleaner cause some brands can melt plastic
Aye...I thought about that and decided that melting parts was bad...and at least any spray from a nitro cleaner around the radio equipment won't hurt it.

So there's nothing else you make sure you grease or lube up every time? That's what i was wondering.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The only way to clean your car is to submerge it in a bucket of water than use a heat gun to dry it off. Seriously I personally break the whole car down after each day it's on the track and clean everything but thats me I don't like dirt. I use simple green and a towel. I rarely take apart my engine and clean the inside I only check the conrod every gallon, just use some after run oil and your good. I clean the bearings every third time out.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dredd
Aye...I thought about that and decided that melting parts was bad...and at least any spray from a nitro cleaner around the radio equipment won't hurt it.

So there's nothing else you make sure you grease or lube up every time? That's what i was wondering.
yeah i spray grease onto the outdrives to stop them from wearing.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Complete tear down and rebuild before she goes out again.

literally complete, bearing maintenance, pulley cleaning, the works!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I hate dirt, and a dirty car, so my cleaning is a bit more involved.
Step by step:
1. remove the 4 major componets of the car: radio deck, front end, rear end and engine.. This leaves 5 parts with the chassis
2. Blow the parts off with air and denatured alcohol
3. Use Serpent Cleaning Gum on the entire car, getting into all the tight places.
4. Remove all the bearings: pull the seals and spray them out with Nitro Blast. relube the bearings with Bob's Banana Lube (for bearings)
5. Engine Cleaning: Remove the pipe and header. Clean with fuel or alcohol and rags. Take the engine and use the Serpent cleaning gum to remove everything on the outside of the engine, using a 1.5mm to push it into all the vented areas to get the gunk out. Use a pipe cleaner and alcohol to clean in between all the cooling fins on the head. Inspect the clutch and replace any worn parts. I use marine grease for the thrust bearing (I have only had 1 go bad in 3 years.)
6. Re-assemble the car, inspecting EVERYTHING for anything worn. Use the same marine grease on the outdrives to keep wear down. Never use oil on the cvd joints, use grease. The oil will make them rust when you use alcohol. Use a toothbrush to clean out the belts and pullies.
7. after completely assembled, wipe the car down with a clean towel to remove any residual leftovers.

This is what I do after every race. In between heats, I just blow it off with air and use the Serpent Cleaning Gum to get most of the gunk off. Also, I wipe the pipe down with a paper-towel and alcohol. This will keep the pipe looking good for a long time by not letting the crud get burned to the pipe.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Step by step:
1. remove the 4 major componets of the car: radio deck, front end, rear end and engine.. This leaves 5 parts with the chassis
3. Use Serpent Cleaning Gum on the entire car, getting into all the tight places.
4. Remove all the bearings: pull the seals and spray them out with Nitro Blast. relube the bearings with Bob's Banana Lube (for bearings)
5. Engine Cleaning: Remove the pipe and header. Clean with fuel or alcohol and rags. Take the engine and use the Serpent cleaning gum to remove everything on the outside of the engine, using a 1.5mm to push it into all the vented areas to get the gunk out. Use a pipe cleaner and alcohol to clean in between all the cooling fins on the head. Inspect the clutch and replace any worn parts. I use marine grease for the thrust bearing (I have only had 1 go bad in 3 years.)
6. Re-assemble the car, inspecting EVERYTHING for anything worn. Use the same marine grease on the outdrives to keep wear down. Never use oil on the cvd joints, use grease. The oil will make them rust when you use alcohol. Use a toothbrush to clean out the belts and pullies.
7. after completely assembled, wipe the car down with a clean towel to remove any residual leftovers.

This is what I do after every race. In between heats, I just blow it off with air and use the Serpent Cleaning Gum to get most of the gunk off. Also, I wipe the pipe down with a paper-towel and alcohol. This will keep the pipe looking good for a long time by not letting the crud get burned to the pipe.
I do the exact same! I use different grease and oil is about the only difference, but may look into that marine stuff. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i use a high pressure compressor and blow all the dirt in to nothingness. hehehe
Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Your routine seem fine. I would ignore most OCD posts--most of us go to this level a few times a year, not after every race day.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
Complete tear down and rebuild before she goes out again.

literally complete, bearing maintenance, pulley cleaning, the works!

I do the same thing, completely tear down (engine included), check for cracked or broken parts, I use a ULTRASONIC CLEANER (http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-ULTRASON...QcmdZViewItem), add in some simple green and drop the parts in to it hit the button and let it blow the dirt out...

Then put it on the setup board and she is ready to.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Step by step:

The exact same way I clean my car...
Old 03-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bvoltz
I do the same thing, completely tear down (engine included), check for cracked or broken parts, I use a ULTRASONIC CLEANER (http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-ULTRASON...QcmdZViewItem), add in some simple green and drop the parts in to it hit the button and let it blow the dirt out...

Then put it on the setup board and she is ready to.
Dude, nice!!!! I tried your link but doesn't work. So I did a search on EBay, but which one do you use. There's quite the selection bro. If I get one, I would like to get one already tried and trued like yours. Could you tell us the one you recommend. Thanks bro!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A guy I know that has raced professionally tears his car down once a season. Of course he changes worn parts and inspects everything as wear items are replaced. Uses denatured alcohol and air in between.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serpentd
Dude, nice!!!! I tried your link but doesn't work. So I did a search on EBay, but which one do you use. There's quite the selection bro. If I get one, I would like to get one already tried and trued like yours. Could you tell us the one you recommend. Thanks bro!
Sorry about that... Most any will do... they are all the same, it is a difference in the tank size and price... I have this one from Ebay, item number: 220095464496. Works great.... I can not believe how much it cleans... I even drop in my reciever pack of batteies.... I figure if it works on watchs with the battery in, it should work on my pack....

For the really dirty mess, when it stops, I just hit the start button again, or take it out, blow some air on it, then back in the tank for round two.... I have not had to past two rounds on any thing....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.