R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-01-2003, 05:49 PM   #16
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cybertoolzz
man that sure sounds like a very high 1st gear ratio - dont know if my car could take that kind of torque. a ratio that high makes the car extremely quick - but what is the limit of how far u can go? i mean u use 8:1 now - at what point do u reach the point of 'dimished returns' OR strip gears and belts? have u pushed it very far past that 8:1? my 6.9:1 is pretty good and the car/motor seems to handle it pretty good - it fairly jumps off the line - i think if i went very much higher - say 7.5:1 the car would just spin out - like too much torque...?
Yes, the car is jumpy off the line and out of the corners Well, for small tracks, that kind of gear ratio comes in handy to outwit, outlast and outplay those other cars equipped with 5 port Rodys on the track especially if it's a small one The trick is throttle control and the rest is car setup.

I don't have any problems with regards to spurs and pulleys stripping. Only problem is when stones get into the drive train... But then the belts will go first and this is only the front. The sides and rear belts do no exihibit the problem.

I don't think there's any law of diminishing returns applying on this one... The higher the better Of course there are limits to it... Just that make sure your 1st and 2nd gear ratio is close enough that the engine does not bog out when jumping from 1st gear to 2nd gear. Of course, set your 2nd speed so that the gear ratio is enough for the engine RPM to peak at the end of the track's longest straight.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote