Community
Wiki Posts
Search

INS box??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default INS box??

Can somebody tell me more about this item? To me, when I look at it, it does look like it will keep dirt out but it looks more likely to restrict air rather than to boost air. I know Collari used one on his evolva in the 2005 worlds.

http://brca.org/Sections/cir_ic_10/n...%20Fitting.htm

-- Wario
Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

noise reduction from the carb inlet
Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TrickPonYracing
noise reduction from the carb inlet
That's it? There is no performance inhancements other than muffing the sound a few decibles? Well I know some places require it. Thanks

-- Wario
Old 03-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it will help with fuel economy and will make it easyer to tune most tracks like mine do require it
Old 03-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wario69
That's it? There is no performance inhancements other than muffing the sound a few decibles? Well I know some places require it. Thanks

-- Wario
It's not a perfomance item at all. It's to reduce the Db levels of intake noise. Nothing more.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here is more on the ins box.
> Description
Noise problems
Noise is an issue in almost any country, and if it is not yet today, it will be tomorrow. Race tracks have already closed down, or are under threat because of noise problems.
In 1995 IFMAR, the World organization for RC racing, asked the manufacturers to come up with solutions to reduce the noise-level of 1/8 scale gas powered racing cars. Serpent took up the challenge and in close co-operation with the University of Delft, developed the universal Induction Noise Silencing Box, the INS-BOX. In combination with an effective (*) exhaust silencer, the INS-BOX is able to reduce the overall sound level with up to 4 decibels. If 10 cars would be using the INS-BOX at the same time, like in a race, the overall noise-level would drop with 5 to 6 decibels!

Decibels
Noise is measured in decibels. The decibel scale is not linear but logarithmic.
For instance, total silence would be 0 dB, a silent room 45 dB, a person speaking 60-65 dB, a car 80 dB, an airplane 90 dB. From a silent room to an airplane is only doubling the amount of decibels, but what you hear is much more than double the noise.
There are different scales used with decibels. This depends on the type of sound and the environment it is produced in. For noise-level measurements used to set acceptable standards for the human ear, the "A scale" is used.
The noise level depends on the distance between the noise source and the point of measuring. The closer by, the higher the noise level. The standard distance for measuring noise levels of cars and machines is 10 mtrs. The universal norm for industrial noise levels has been set at 80dB(A) at 10 mtrs.
A noise level of 83dB(A) compared to 80 dB(A) is experienced as double the noise by the human ear!

Noise levels
Current 1/8 scale gas powered cars, using IFMAR homologated exhaust pipes are measured at 89-90 dB(A). This high noise level depends very much on the engine rpm. With the ever increasing rpm's, the noise level went up from 84 dB(A) in the early 80-ties, till 90 dB(A) at this moment as engines are now capable of running well in excess of 40.000 RPM.

IFMAR and EFRA
In 1995 IFMAR set a target of 85 dB(A) at 10 mtrs. to be achieved by 1997. With the use of the INS-BOX this can be achieved, providing an effective exhaust silencer is used. Models 082, 089 and the 053 have been found to be effective.
EFRA has asked all the manufacturers of exhaust silencers to issue their exhaust pipes for re-homologation and will publish a new list of silencers that can be used from June 1998 onwards. It is expected that EFRA and a number of their member countries will make the use of an induction noise silencer like the INS-BOX, in combination with a homologated exhaust silencer, mandatory in 1998.

The principle of INS-BOX
RC cars have 2 sources of noise, the exhaust system and the inlet system. With the use of homologated silencers, the exhaust noise has been effectively reduced to 84/85dB(A). The induction noise however, has no silencing device and with the ever increasing rpm's, the induction noise has gone up to close to 88 dB(A).

The 2 noise sources together produce the measured overall noise-level of close to 90 dB(A). It is obvious that reducing the exhaust noise level further would not affect the overall noise level.
Only reducing the induction noise would be effective in terms of overall noise reduction. This is what the INS-BOX does. The box is designed to filter out the 700Hz frequencies and its harmonics. These frequencies are 'weighed' very heavily in the 'A" scale used for measuring the 'industrial noise levels' such as cars. The INS-BOX was designed using complex acoustic formula's to calculate the volumes and shapes of the 2 chambers and the size and length of the holes (pipes) which connect the 2 chambers.

Performance
Because of the optimized design, the INS-BOX unit does hardly affect the performance of the engine, it only reduces the induction noise. The performance was measured in various ways: by taking lap-times (no difference), by using data-logger technology (no difference), and on the test bench (approx. 3% difference). What can be felt is a very little loss of throttle response at low speed. But this will be the same for everybody of course. Running the car with or without the INS-BOX has no influence on the setting of the carburetor, which is proof that the air-flow is not restricted.
Using the INS-BOX has no effect on the engine temperature as it

does not restrict the airflow and the engine is not running leaner.

Usage
The INS-BOX is equipped with a high quality and effective foam filter to clean the air before it enters the engine. Insert the foam filter from the top in the lower case, the rubber filter-grommet must snap between the lips. This provides a firm and positive fixation of the filter. Do not use glue for this purpose too.
The foam filter must be treated with the special filter oil which is included in the set. The INS-BOX is designed for this foam filter. Other foam filters may not fit and should therefore not be used.

The box itself works as an additional protection against dust and can also be used in rainy conditions. It does not provide full protection against heavy water under all circumstances, the foam filter may still get soaked.

Tie the INS-BOX down to the carburetor by wrapping a tie-wrap around the rubber part which fits over the carburetor. After installation on the engine, the top-part of the INS-BOX box can easily be removed by squeezing the lower case slightly, thereby freeing up the upper part. To re-install, gently press the upper part back in the lower case until it snaps into the groove of the lower case.
Do not modify any part of the box as it will have no effect on performance but it will disturb the proper silencing function of the unit and the noise level will go up again.

Loud is Out
Serpent has developed the INS-BOX for all RC racers, independent of the brand of car or engine used. This product is not marketed as a Serpent product, and therefore you will not find our brand name on the INS-BOX.
IFMAR, EFRA and other organizations have already recognized and approved the INS-BOX as an effective noise reduction device. We at Serpent hope that you will appreciate our efforts to reduce the noise level of 1/8 scale racing cars and that you will start using this device, even voluntarily. This is our contribution to a better 'gas on-road' world.
I got the info from you can see some graphs and pictures on the site to. www.serpent.com/product/200305/

Michael P
Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Who carries this?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

www.ashfordhobby.com

http://ashfordhobby.com/SearchResult...CategoryID=269
Old 03-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Who carries this?
Chris has them at C-Wit's hobbies
Old 03-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Michael P
The INS-BOX was designed using complex acoustic formula's to calculate the volumes and shapes of the 2 chambers and the size and length of the holes (pipes) which connect the 2 chambers.
I'd like to find out more about this since EFRA is going to be mandating 3 chamber pipes and a lot of us have been running them as well. I wonder how different it affects tune from 2 vs. 3 chambers. The 3 chamber cuts noise further according to their tests. Apparently so does a black painted pipe. I was reading one of the recent EFRA meeting notes and I read something that they were going to start mandating black pipes at some point in the future since they are so gung ho about noise reduction. Granted this is only EFRA, but the rest of the world organizations including IFMAR tend to take their queues from them.

Times they are a changin'!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most engines and 3 chamber pipes now are desined to be use with an INS box. It will reduse the dirt to your filter. With litle or no noticable paformance loss I use an INS box at my track its not requried at our track and i have no disadvantage in paformance compared to the outer 70% of the field that dose not use an INS box. Regards Jeremy.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fraz
I'd like to find out more about this since EFRA is going to be mandating 3 chamber pipes and a lot of us have been running them as well. I wonder how different it affects tune from 2 vs. 3 chambers. The 3 chamber cuts noise further according to their tests. Apparently so does a black painted pipe. I was reading one of the recent EFRA meeting notes and I read something that they were going to start mandating black pipes at some point in the future since they are so gung ho about noise reduction. Granted this is only EFRA, but the rest of the world organizations including IFMAR tend to take their queues from them.

Times they are a changin'!
I just have 1 question...what is the point? No properly tuned R/C engine is that loud unless you're talking about a 1/5 scale gas motor, and even those aren't that bad.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Can INS-Box be used for 1/8th scale buggy ?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redsand
Can INS-Box be used for 1/8th scale buggy ?
Dont see why not but it may not fit.
Michael P
Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If i rember corectly the rules state that 95 or 98 desables take at 3 difrent distances and difrent rpm ranges ( idle full throttal). It was simply desined to reduice noise for tracks that are very close to resadential areas. People complane about noise that much it can close a club for ever. Not all tracks can be built in areas were noise is not a prob not for the racers but the litle old lady 100m down the road. Best Regards Jeremy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.