R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   faithful nitro drivers (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/15526-faithful-nitro-drivers.html)

nitrosaurus 03-30-2003 08:26 PM

faithful nitro drivers

Did you guys fully switch over to nitro or will/do you go back to electric? I never had an electric and I was wondering if I was missing anything.

AndrewtheRCman 03-30-2003 09:03 PM

i wont do electric anymore....everytime im tempted to try it again the word "BATTERIES!" runs through my mind and im turned off by it

Aeon Racer 03-30-2003 10:54 PM

Don't you hear "BATTERIES" with your nitro too? If you don't, tell me about it because I want a nitro car like that. :) Anyway, enough being a smart ass...

I started off with electric and then worked my way up to nitro. I've pretty much completely made the switch. Electric cars are all motors and batteries. If you don't have a killer motor with solid battery packs, you've pretty much lost the race before it even begins. The only way to acquire a killer motor is by a stroke of luck (winding your own stock is in most cases illegal). Batteries are pretty much the same, since the cells that make a "championship" battery pack only come once every couple hundred batteries.

With a nitro car, most good motors are made. If you give your motor TLC, you can almost guarantee yourself a solid powerplant. Plus you just fill the car up and go. No changing batteries after 5-8 minutes of running. You just refill and keep driving.

I still have my electric off road car, but I'm getting rid of all my electric on-road cars. After buying and running my Nitro TC3, all my electric on road stuff seems dull and uninteresting. I've gotten to the point where I am selling all my onroad electric cars because I've completely lost interest in them. Electric was fun for the time I ran them, but after getting my nitro, I haven't even thought about looking back...

me43 03-30-2003 11:23 PM

i wouldn't mind doing electric F1 racing because the track that races F1's limits you on what kind of motor(stock tamiya) you can use and what kind of batteries(no more than 1700 mah and must be a pack) you use and those are what most begginers use so its pretty fare

buggyman81 03-30-2003 11:31 PM

im getting into eletric onroad again but i wont ever get off the nitro bandwagon

theRED5 03-30-2003 11:58 PM

An electric makes it hard to finish that 20 minute A main.:lol:

theRED5 03-30-2003 11:58 PM

Batteries are for STARTING cars, not powering them.

speedydave 03-31-2003 12:00 AM

The only way I'd ever go back to electric is with a battery and motor sponsor. It's way too expensive with the battery/motor wars going on these days.

Oh, and, theRed, doesn't a battery power your servos? :nod: ;)

Im2lazy 03-31-2003 12:25 AM

If I had to race electric, quite plainly, I would. Racing is racing, and while certain types of racing are more appealing to me (nitro;) ), I love going at it on the track.

Personally, if I could, I would jump on the chance to race 1/12 scale onroad (mod or stock doesn't matter too much as they are both fast enough on indoor tracks). Other electric classes such as offroad 2wd buggies don't seem that much fun for me.

V-One S 03-31-2003 02:54 AM

nitro is more fun to race, cause u dont have to be the quickest around the track to win, u normally just have to last the amount of time.

but electric u dont have to hack up your bodys.
thats y nitro needs radiators or sumting with a water pump to pump around the head.

but nitro has to of the best points
*It has the best noise
*It has the best smell

he he he

fastharry™ 03-31-2003 04:53 AM

after 6 years of racing nitro during the warmer months,I started to race rally and buggy at Barnstormers in NY....Frankly,I enjoy it....BUT...there is a whole lot of equipment you need,esp if you want to finish...lathe,good batterys,knowledge of how to tune a stock motor,etc.....

I thought the batterys were a bigger deal than they turned out to be...I'm using Pro match gp 3300's...but the 1.13 packs....(they have all teh way up to 1.17's)....you know why my cars run well?......My motors make power,and they have a broad powerband...very easy to drive,esp. through the infield..(and thats from reading everything I could..learning everything in Big Jims black book..esp Alighning the brush hoods PROPERLY)..

but,that being said.....I will race a xxx4 outside during the summer,as well as my Kania...

As you can see,I enjoy electric racing(only because I'm competitive)..

But NOTHING beats driving and racing my RB 5 port Tc3 nitro's...

rod_b 03-31-2003 08:44 AM

Originally posted by theRED5

Batteries are for STARTING cars, not powering them.

LMAO! You must have those new solar powered electronics then. Oh, and I've seen an electric 4 hour endurance race and some electric cars can have their batts swapped is just about the same amount of time it takes to refuel a nitro.

popsracer 03-31-2003 10:26 AM

Electric vs Nitro

I race both Nitro and Electric Stock. Definately requires different driving styles and stratagies. Having Top of the line equipment makes a bigger difference in electric.
They're both fun to say the least.

jason102276 03-31-2003 03:00 PM

i have done both and nitro is by far my favorite and i swear i spent more on electric in 6 months than 1 year nitro

but if we are going to have another bad winter like this year i am going to get another electric so i dont have to sit around all winter wishing for better weather

V-One S 04-01-2003 01:54 AM

but if we are going to have another bad winter like this year i am going to get another electric so i dont have to sit around all winter wishing for better weather

I can run my nitro all year round, YAY!!!