R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-30-2003, 06:39 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to AndrewtheRCman
Angry NTC3 and pixy problem!

someone help me please. i bought an NTC3 rtr and dropped in a pixy as my first mod(my name is an acronym for overkill, sue me) anyways it was working great as a 1 speed tc3 very fast love it. butthen i decided to go 2-speed after my 1-speed bearing on the clutchbell disentigrated now i figured the 2-speed had my bearings for that clutchbell, but it didnt and an LHS guy got the bearing for me that was needed. now here comes the problem. i get it all together and i find that once i tighten that screw all the way my clutchbell gets locked to the flywheel. we've tried everything. spacers new 2 bearings fitted in the clutchbell, but nothing

please help me. i dont want my 55$ 2-speed to become a 55$ piece of trash
AndrewtheRCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

That's a really odd problem. I would double and trip check that you assembled everything correctly via the manual. If anything, tear it all appart and rebuild the clutch with the house. Also double check and make sure you didn't somehow get a one way bearing into there? I'm not sure. You sure you have the two speed clutch bell? Here are the instructions straight from my manual for the clutch assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutchassembly.jpg (141.9 KB, 87 views)
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:12 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

are you supposed to tigten the screw down all the way? try backing it out a couple turns and be sure to use some threadlock..
Jfawwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 12:02 AM   #4
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

That's what I do too, Put some locktite on the screw and drive it in without the clutchbell....then remove the screw and rebuild the clutch, you should be able to stop the screw before it tightens down on the bearings, & without it coming out completely.
I [I]AM [/I]the Driver !

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 03:59 AM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

you have to shim the clutch properly, i would pick up package of shims, you need two kinds, one for shimming the back of the clutch bell so it doesnt hit the flywheel (so it needs the ID of the crankshaft), and then get the screws used for shimming 12th scale front ends (kingpin shims) and place those on the screw that holds in the clutch bell, so you can tighten it down all the way (even with threadlock and partially tightening, witht the vibration, it will go right off).

Also its normal to burn out clutch bearings, just make sure you replace them as soon as they go.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to AndrewtheRCman

actually its nothing of what you guys thought. well almost. part of it was using only 1 washer, but the other part was that my washer were getting caught on the side of the clutchbell and cause it to bind...

i plan to order all the parts tomorrow and hopefully have it running for the weekend

till then i can just build up my MP/Tmaxx hybrid(take the best of both worlds and make THE best truck)
AndrewtheRCman is offline   Reply With Quote