Wiki Posts
Search

total n00b here

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 AM
n0x
Tech Rookie

Unhappy total n00b here

hey people, i got a rc car just a few days back given by a friend's father. he stopped that hobby since quite some time back. its a very old model i supposed, now how do i even operate and get the car started ? he said what glow plug starter into some hole of the engine, then he passed to me a 12V Hi torque starter with 2 clips (black and red) which i dont know where to place them.
what are the procedures? how come he doesnt have the pulling thing that i see online in some video clips?

i got lots of question to ask cause im a total n00b. help is greatly appreciated. i think i need to know the basics of the basics.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by n0x
hey people, i got a rc car just a few days back given by a friend's father. he stopped that hobby since quite some time back. its a very old model i supposed, now how do i even operate and get the car started ? he said what glow plug starter into some hole of the engine, then he passed to me a 12V Hi torque starter with 2 clips (black and red) which i dont know where to place them.
what are the procedures? how come he doesnt have the pulling thing that i see online in some video clips?

i got lots of question to ask cause im a total n00b. help is greatly appreciated. i think i need to know the basics of the basics.

why not find out what kind of car it is....or how about a picture....my firts guess is those red and black clips hook to a battery,which would power the starter,so you can spin the flywheel,while the glo plug ignitor is attached,after having turned on the radio,making sure the throttle linkage works, to start the car.....and make sure the glo ignitor is charged....OR...you could just go to the Rc strore and buy a HPI RTR....but what do I know,I'm a noob myself...
Old 03-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Okaaaaaayyy, the red and black clips stands for positive and negative (this is not just an R/C thing) attach to a 12v power source ( + = Positive and - = Negative) that should get u out of that delima.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:03 AM
n0x
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fastharry
why not find out what kind of car it is....or how about a picture....my firts guess is those red and black clips hook to a battery,which would power the starter,so you can spin the flywheel,while the glo plug ignitor is attached,after having turned on the radio,making sure the throttle linkage works, to start the car.....and make sure the glo ignitor is charged....OR...you could just go to the Rc strore and buy a HPI RTR....but what do I know,I'm a noob myself...

ok i could take photos of the car, but from which angle do you want it? you mean you could see what car is it just by looking at the interiors ? how do i charge the glow igniter? by pressing it down right and how do i know that it has been charged ? and again how do i make sure the throttle linkage works ? sorry to ask dumb questions as i don remember handling R/C stuff before.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:10 AM
n0x
Tech Rookie

Old 03-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Dude, these questions unfotunatly are TOO basic. My recommendation to you would be to take all of your stuff to the Local Hobby store and goto there RC dept. Tell them that this is what you have, but not sure where to start. They will easily point you in the right direction. The hands on will make it easier for you to understand. After you get these basics down, then start asking questions on here. I'm not trying to shy or push you away by anymeans, but you need to have just a little bit of knowledge first otherwise we might just confuse you more. We would rather have you understand well and avoid any un needed frustration for yourself. It's a great hobby, and there are a ton of learning curves. This is just your first curve is all. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by n0x

Add your pics by going to the "manage attachments" on the post page. Just scroll down abit and you will see it. Hit browse to find your pics on your pc then upload.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

btw,here's a another idea..how about asking the guy who gave it all to you?...
Old 03-13-2007, 05:29 AM
n0x
Tech Rookie

hoho alright. i guessed so myself. thanks anyway
he's a working adult so i do not know whether if he's free, but i'll try
Old 03-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Granted everyones new , but how bout looking online for your manual once you figure out the car. These wonderful things normally give you an exact way to run the car.

Also here is one page on how to start a car similiar to how your setup sounds.

http://hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/r40/R40-P43o.jpg
Old 03-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

this too....

http://www.hpiracing.com/whatisrc.php
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Your car is a Kyosho super10. Here is a link to a manual for a super10 FW-04. Its a newer model of what you have, but shares some parts and the layout is similar.

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/support/in...ten_index.html

Your engine appears to be an OS .15 CV. You can download the manual here.

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/...r/carindex.htm