R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-24-2003, 02:12 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Angry MTX-2 Bogs down

I took the car out on the track yesterday afternoon to try and get the 2 speed to work. Anyway I did a few laps to tune the engine. It took me about 10 adjustments later to get the engine tuned right, with the 2 speed at a tighter setting (changing later).

After that I proceeded to tune the 2 speed. I adjusted it by doing a few laps to test the engagment of the 2 speed. I adjust just about right for the size of the track (tight & small). Anyway all seem to be fine. Therefore I took it out run more laps. The car was running superb, however after about a few laps more the engine would bog down and would take a longer time to change gears without me making anyadjustments. I then shut the car down, left it to cool, and tried again, it ran superb again and after a few laps bogged again. All this was done with the body off.

Anyway have any suggestions of the cause?

ttektek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
Tech Master

The most likely cause, in my mind, to your problem, is that your engine's carb settings are a little too lean. when you first plop it on the track and start running laps, you are immediately running fast. But as you continue to run hard, fast laps, your engine begins to overheat as the engine starts to warm up.

My suggestion is that you don't run hard for the first couple laps, to allow the engine to begin the warm up process, then tune anything you need to. Then for the next four laps, run hard and tune as needed. By the end of those six or so laps, you should get a real good idea as to how well your engine is tuned, because it has truly reached operating temperatures, before you begin to race. Otherwise, you would be just tuning in the dark.

Could be wrong, but this is the most common mistake that has symptoms simimlar to what you have said.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah that does make sense because I only ran it only on the straights, as in the outside of the track, I will run next time on the actual racing line, and then make adjustments, however keeping it at a more gentle speed to warm up the engine.

ttektek is offline   Reply With Quote