Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Thinking of 1/8 on road??!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would go with the mrx-4r from Brooklynhobbies.com. Ritchie is great and I try to buy from him whenever I can. They're getting a new batch of mrx-4r this week and some parts might be upgraded. Their price is the best around -- $479.99 with free ground shipping in the U.S. unless you live in Hawaii or Alaska or something. So you get the most updated Mrx-4r to date and the lowest price in the country, you can't beat that. Call Ritchie up, he is very helpful.

-- Wario
Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

On-road is the closest thing to real racing in my opinion. Very adictive, Very Fast, Very Expensive. With that being said MUGEN MRX4-R is the whip you want to own. Good Luck, Enjoy and DO NOT tell the girl how much it costs. I would move to Ohio just for the racing
Old 03-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Default 8th Scale

I think if you’re running 8th scale Off Road you know it can cost some cash.

You could get started with the VRC disc & adapter and get a decent feel for some serious On Road tracks like Cincinnati, Kissimmee and The Fort.

It’ll give you a taste of what you’re in for. Some dudes out there may disagree with VRC as a trainer but the main difference between Off & On-Road besides the big air and bumps is throttle control.

With VRC you can learn what to expect with almost every set-up change you’ll need to know about to find your balance. The alternative to trying to go from dirt to road is a fortune in broken parts and chunked foams.

There’s a reason why real F1, INDY, NASCAR drivers and pilots log in hours before they roll the dice. With VRC’s simulator technology you get to know famous tracks that Pros have totaled tons of cars on before they were Pros.

8th scale is seriously fast and an adrenalin rush. If Kung Fu’s teacher raced 8th scale he’d probably tell him “ When you can rip 19 second laps on VRC at Cincinnati, it is time for you for you to leave…..

If you want to jump right in and buy an 8th scale and skip VRC, you'd better have deep pockets because the cars can become kits at 60mph and at over 65mph they're often "Totaled"

But damm, they're awsome and the fastest thing you'll ever pull trigger on.
racer034life likes this.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Take it on !!!! They are awesome . We have a tight 1/10 scale onroad track 5 minutes away but still drive an hour each way every Sunday for another hit of 1/8 POWER & SPEED . If you use your brains it can be done at a reasonable cost too . Listen to the advice above and enjoy .
Old 03-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

tdeal823
One of the best 1/8 on-road tracks in the world is in Toledo! Go for it! That track is the best..very smooth unbelievable grip, lot's of 1/8 sclale racers.
It also has very low tire wear.
I race 1/8 buggies for years, last 2 1/2 years have been strictly 1/8 on-road!
Buggy feals like a school bus now!
go to; www.oneeightracers.com that is the site for the local club.
Also; www.midwestseries.com, best racing ever....All skill levels.. lots of fun.
Jumps a bumps are fun, but can't compaire with the speed of 1/8 circuit.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

thanks a bunch guys maybe to cushion the blow I will sell my truggy?
I hope to get into onroad within the next month
thanks for all your help and advice
Tony
Old 03-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tdeal823
Tony
Have a great time in 1/8 on road it is a blast.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

tdeal823
email me at mark.unger@midwestseries for some information on 1/8th On-Road racing. I am the Midwest Series director and I can help you make some important decissions.
Mark
Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Congratulations for residing in Toledo.. As stated earlier you are very close to a terrific on-road track and in the vicinty of several great on-road tracks.

The www.midwestseries.com site will give you an idea of the on-road racing in you're area.

www.ashfordhobby.com is a great site for on-line ordering and if you call, you'll talk to Robert who's great to work with.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pooh2
Jim, now y and put Richie first? He wouldn't do the same 4 u.
Actually, he would. In fact he already has.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tony
If you really want to get into 1/8 without spending a ton of money try looking for a used car like a Mugen MRX-4 or even a 3. With new cars coming out there are people getting rid of older cars at really low prices. Living in Toledo I'm sure you can find someone who's upgrading.

Just be careful of used engines. You never really know what you're getting.

If you get a new engine don't for the killer super mod engine. There are inexpensive engines (well, inexpensive compared to others) that will be just fine for starting out. Even the "slow" motors are plenty fast.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks a bunch guys. Do any of you know of someone selling out of onroad? and willing to ship to the Toledo, Ohio Area??

Thanks again for all the help
Tony
If you are loking for a car for the Toledo track I can help you out. I'm the presdent of the Toledo 1/8 racers and if you want you can go to the web site and get my cell number. We wouldbe glad to help you out with any thing you need to get you started.You will find that all the club works great with new people.Thanks to all of you guys out there for the great report on are track. Hope to see all of you at the GLC race in Agust