Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which RTR car for ~$300 or less?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Get a TC3+(plus).
At $325 it has everything you need to get started. This RTR pack has glow ignitor, fuel bottle, radio. All you need is gas and batteries. The only up grades I would add to this kit are springs, and a set of 38 shore foams.

It has a 2 speed installed; a .15 motor and the upgraded suspension. All of this is pre installed from the factory.

Many racers started with the basic TC3. They learned how to race and some even still race their upgraded TC3's. The thing is like a tank and can give or take punishment. Shaft drive and a nice big chassis plate make working on the TC3 class of car a breeze. Parts are everywhere!!
Old 04-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a team magic g4 that i use for parking lot bashing and i dont have any problems with it and its a great car compare to the 4tec and ntc3 and im not just saying this i owned a 4tec then i went to the ntc3 and now i have my g4 and i love it.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

You guys who are racers out there are saying 'Come race with us. Spend more and get the better gear so you'll be more competitive', thats only if the guy has already tried it for some time and raced a few races and feel like improving on that with a better car and equipment. So many I have seen bought the high-end stuff only to get burned because it was more than they bargained for in the beginning. Perhaps you are looking to set people up for a fall and pick-up on their "getting out of the hobby" sale. That Aint Right! (Well hopefully you guys are not really having bad intentions )

Putting it short, the first posted reply is correct. However, of the three here are my comments:

NTC3 - Popular car but rather fragile parts and crude design.
RS4-3 - Popular car better than NTC3, drivetrain can't take Hi-perf. engine upgrade without overhauling the drive components.
FW-05T - Similar in design to RS4-3, very durable. Parts avail. throughout Net.

1/8 buggy - too many to choose out there, go with OFNA Ultra LX Comp. about $250 or less and lots of parts support.

What ever you do, don't spend anymore than $300!! Just buy it, try it and have fun. If you don't like it you can always dump it for $150 or so and you won't be loosing your life savings on it. If you like it, choose to upgrade it or replace it with something better. Upgrading is better because you'll get more use out of your original investment, but sometimes its better to renew on a clean slate. (hence what I already said)

There are others that are even cheaper like Himoto which you can get for less than $200 RTR. But you may want to ask around about those. Pictures on those cars look like Kyosho knock-offs. Nothing wrong with that if it can save you money like for upgrades or your next car or your next hobby...
Old 05-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default What did you get?

Hey mvolps22 did you get a RTR car yet? If so what did you get. I'm looking at getting an RTR for bashing and a race or two. I found the discussion intersing. I'm looking for at a NTC3.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

I have a Kyosho WCE with engine and pipe all that is needed is the electronics..
http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161993
Old 05-06-2007, 12:22 AM

I personally run onraod but if you do not have a facility to run the car then I would definitley consider an offroad buggy of some kind that will suit your budget. In a sense that you'll have the best of both worlds having an offroad buggy I think is the way to go bro. You can only do so much going back and forth with a sedan but with an offroad vehicle nearly all is possible so think it through.