R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   first nitro on road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/15035-first-nitro-road.html)

max911 03-19-2003 06:48 PM

first nitro on road

Hello.
Im new to rc cars, actually iv never had one and never drove one before but im planning to get one this week.
Ive been painting some bodies (200mm) recently and i found it very interesting. I need professional advice which product should i get. Im not looking for RTR kit. Ive been thinking about HPI Nitro RS4 3 Type SS since its so popular. I dont really know if i should go for it... Could You guys help me to choose one?
What radio should i get to have best performance?
What else should i get to be "all set" and have fun with it?
Thanks for any advices....

moehawk 03-20-2003 01:28 PM

u cud get thunder tiger ts4n pro thats kit u need to buy engine, if u r willing, rs4 seem gud choice i was gonna get that but i got pro instead its nice, there both bout same

jason102276 03-20-2003 02:57 PM

if you feel a rtr is the way you need to go i think the ntc3 is the best one to get

it is upgradeable to a top notch race car

i have also heard many positive things about the yokomo gt4

i personally perfer kits to rtr so that you know the hows and whys for the car

will you be doing any racing?

as far as a radio goes rtr would include a radio

Ron C. 03-20-2003 03:31 PM

Re: first nitro on road

Originally posted by max911
Hello.
Im new to rc cars, actually iv never had one and never drove one before but im planning to get one this week.
Could You guys help me to choose one?
What radio should i get to have best performance?
What else should i get to be "all set" and have fun with it?
Thanks for any advices....

Whenever someone who is wanting to start
with RC cars, ask me what a good car to go
with, I have never recommended an RTR.

I beleive that it is only a matter of time
before any bigginer learns how to drive the car
and then get faster with it. It eventually reaches
a point where the car will be too slow for the person.
And since the RTRs can only be hopped up to a
certain point (if at all could be hopped up),
the car basically has to be changed in its
entirety when the driver demands more power
from it. Remember that more power demands for
a better handling car and a sturdier car at that.
And you can only go so far with the RTRs.

By recommending a basic race kit, the car then grows
with the driver. You may start with the basic car and
little by little hop it up as you go faster and faster.
In the long run, you will find that you not only have
saved a lot of money, but more importantly have
learned a lot about the car that you may eventually
race with.

I personally run a Yokomo GT4 and I am very happy
with it and needless to say recommend it. Another
car that I would recommmend you try is the Mugen
MTX3
. I have not ran mine yet, but have seen a lot
of them... and they run very good.

Hope this helps,

Im2lazy 03-21-2003 01:03 AM

For a beginner, unless he has some experienced guy over his shoulder constantly helping him, cars like the Mugen and yokomo, could give him a lot of problems. For a beginner, I would suggest the Kyosho Vone-S, if they want to go racing later. It is a great sport kit that should be tough, but still be adequetly completed by a newbie. Also, it can be raced easily, and at quite a fast pace. It is not an MTX3, or VoneRR (,etc.), but in the hands of a new guy, he will prefer to not have to drive a One-way equipped vehicle. Even with a diff in something like an MTX3, he won't feel a difference because he will have enough of a hard time getting around the boards.

My friend got an MTX2, and he has never raced onroad (or actually raced before). he has no clue what he has to do to set it up, but I can constantly help him, and he is learning. On his own, he would have already sold it on Ebay two-weeks after he got it.

FREAKAH 03-21-2003 02:46 AM

The V-one-S still has the pillow ball suspension that would give the same degree of suspension tuning difficulty that the V-one-R(diffed) or MTX-3 would give. Parts price would also be a negative. It is nearly bulletproof though.

IMHO, in the pillow ball realm, the AE NTC3 would be the best choice if you really wanted a PB equiped car because it has all the tools and gauges to properly set your suspension correctly. It handles great with the base set-up and parts are cheap and easy to come by.

As far as hinge-pin/C-hub cars, the only choice left would be the HPI RS4-3 SS. I'm sorry but this car will leave you wanting for more really early :cry:. It ain't no fun driving a tank through the esses :lol:.

jason102276 03-21-2003 06:42 AM

i think it depends on the level of skill mechanically

a person with good mechanical skills who takes their time and reads the instructions and maybe even asks questions on here can build and drive anything sucessfully

but if your skills are questionable then that changes everything

i think the ntc3 is the most newbie friendly kit because of great instructions and the setup tools included to get a person started being able to set suspension

but if racing is what they want to do and money isnt a big deal then my favorite is mtx3

when i got my mtx2 3 years ago i had no setup gauges but i read manual and magazines and have good mechanical skills so i knew aproximately what to do and when i got to track i quickly made friends with other racers who could help me with the stuff i didnt have or know now i try to help others at the track when i can (for those who have the courtesy to wait till i am not running my car to ask)

dvargas 03-22-2003 02:55 AM

GO FOR THE NTC3 i just got one.

me43 03-22-2003 01:34 PM

i want a TC3