A Few things I can say...
1) read everything about every part and piece you use/install.
2) take your time and do it right, don't be in a rush to drive it.
3) Use the base settings of the car from the manual as a guide only.
4) Ask lots of questions to anyone you know locally that may have some experience.
5) make sure you use good quality fuel and take proper precaution to avoid fuel contamination.
6) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS perform after-run maintenance on the engine after each day's running (or even after you stop for more than a couple hours).
7) ALWAYS clean your air filter (should be part of your after-run procedure)
8) As part of your after run maintenance check every visible screw o be sure it's not loose.
If you need specific information about any of my points let me know and I'll explain what I mean. I'm sure other people here will chime in too.