R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Super Size discussion (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/14412-super-size-discussion.html)

TimPotter 03-06-2003 12:28 PM

Super Size discussion

Pops, I know you have a super, and I do not see a thread.

TimPotter 03-06-2003 12:30 PM

Any good setups ? tips for the Supers ?

I really enjoy running mine, I find the fringe classes usually have a larger grin factor.

popsracer 03-06-2003 02:30 PM

Super Size discussion

spooky;

Just got mine running again today so I'll probably race it in Sportsman and my Reflex in Expert on Saturday.

Send me a PM with your set-up and I'll comment if you like.

Also, HPI now has a suggested baseline set-up for the Super Nitro on their website. Only thing the Ride Height says 18mm and that's about 3/4", WAY too high. 6mm is more like it.

CRASH 03-06-2003 02:50 PM

There is a few Super Nitros here in K.C. Very fun cars to drive. They won the HPI Challenge in San Antonio, Texas a couple years ago. Glad to see a forum starting up for them again.

Later:)

fastharry™ 03-06-2003 04:21 PM

those supers are great.....one of HPI's better cars(way better than the 1/10)......

the orange springs are the way to go...the car loves to lean..

• 2001 HPI challenge Engishtown NJ B main winner Super Nitro modified
  • 2002 HPI challenge Nanuet NY 4th place A main Super nitro
  • 2002 HPI Challenge NY 9th place A main nitro modified

popsracer 03-06-2003 07:00 PM

Super Size discussion

fastharry;

My very good Friend Derek B. (lives about 1/2 mile from me)

Won 1st place in the Nitro Modified class and 1st in the Super Nitro Modified class at the 2002 California HPI Challenge, AND won a ticket to Japan. (Much envy)

Korey Harbke 03-06-2003 07:31 PM

I have had a super for about 3 years and it's up for sale now... I still remember my baseline setup for a high traction parkinglot.

Front:
Spring: 25mm green pro linear
oil:65wt
piston: #4
caster: 8 degree
camber: 2 deg.
toe: 1 degree of toe out
ride height: 4mm

Rear:
spring: 25mm pink pro linear
oil: 65wt
piston: #4
toe: 2 deg in
ride height: 4.5mm

no swaybars
Ride V35 slicks with ride black hard molded inserts
toyota gt-one body
O.S. Tr .12 with mugen header and a hpi aluminum tuned pipe
2 speed
4mm thick chassis
many other hpi hopups

This setup works great. Very easy to drive on most surfaces. Just change the tires to a softer compound (I was running 10+ min mains and tires were overheating so I had to go harder) Use 1 rollcenter plate all around the car. Give it a more planted feeling.

-Sushi Boy

fastharry™ 03-06-2003 07:39 PM

Re: Super Size discussion

Originally posted by popsracer
fastharry;

My very good Friend Dereck B. (lives about 1/2 mile from me)

Won 1st place in the Nitro Modified class and 1st in the Super Nitro Modified class at the 2002 California HPI Challenge, AND won a ticket to Japan.

you'll like this........Todd Marshall,who won the super race I was in(and also went to japan) was next to me on the stand....I kept wacking him in the face with my antenae the whole time(I was really excited)......he said he was talking to me the whole time,tellin me to get the thing away from him(he was laffin").....My pitman had to hit me in the toes with my fuel bottle cause I didn't hear him tellinn me to come in for fuel....I was pretty intense,I guess...but we all had a good time.........I've been racing buggy the whole winter..trying to get more driving in..I'm gonna try and win the class in August;) in South jersey

JordanC 03-06-2003 10:01 PM

q: What is supersize?

a: ???????

TheRagunCajun 03-06-2003 10:19 PM

Hobby Products International Super Nitro RS4

popsracer 03-06-2003 10:25 PM

wacking him in the face with my antenae

fastharry;

I get that same complaint about myself at the track all the time. :D
I didn't go to the CA Challenge last year because of the short notice (only 2 weeks) and my Car wasn't ready. I don't think I'm going to go to Vegas this year either, as I already have planned to be at the Hitec race that month.

Sushi Boy;

Yea, when the Traction is up, these cars really handle great. When it's down, they can be a real handfull.

JordanC;

Sort of halfway between 1/10th scale and 1/8th scale, but still uses a smallblock engine (normally). The HPI Super Nitro is a stretched and wider version of the Nitro RS4-2.

Big Pete 03-07-2003 02:31 AM

At Last

At last a post about super size cars!!!!!!!
Nice to see a setup for the SNRS4
I run one at our local track during the winter, running a Novarossi CX12 motor etc.
Anyone else got some setups- i'll have to see what mine is and post it sometime.
Later guys,
Pete.

popsracer 03-07-2003 07:34 AM

Super Nitro set-up

Here is my current set-up that has worked well on medium to high bite tracks.

Front: 6mm Ride Height, 2mm Droop, Laydown shock tower, Lower shock mount in "A" on Arms, Green #6837 Progressive springs, 50wt Oil, #3 Pistons, Zero Front Toe, 0.5 Deg Camber, Camber links in kit positions, Racer2/Pro2 Steering linkage conversion. Stock Gear Diff with Dow Corning #7 Silicone Grease inside.

Rear: 6mm RH, 5mm Droop, "B" position on plasitic tower, "A" position on Arms, Red #6835 or #6754 springs, 45wt Oil, #3 Pistons, 2 deg Rear toe hubs, 0.0-0.5 Rear Camber, Raised inner and outer Camber link mounting per my modification. (more Steering and Traction), Stock Gear Diff with Vasoline inside.

[Misc:[/B] 1 set of roll center plates (I didn't notice any difference)

Body: BMW LMR, Tires: 33R (high bite tracks) Kyosho Super 10, #35's (low bite tracks)

Engine: Fantom .15 Side Exhaust (this thing is Balistic!)

I'm going to work on increasing the Rear Toe today, for the low traction conditions that I've been having to race on lately.

TimPotter 03-07-2003 09:04 AM

Pop's you go to Japan ?... Ahh I re-read your post, I see you know Derek. I had the pleasure to go to Japan with Derek, Todd and Timm. I brought a friends super... but I was nowhere near competetive. I will shoot ya my seup, but I am running some kooky stuff... Hot Bodies Shocks, Xray Springs....

TimPotter 03-07-2003 09:10 AM

Yeah I read that Setup on HPI site... and thought... man that thing has some serious RH