Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help.. My thorttle servo is jammed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default Please help.. My thorttle servo is jammed

I recently purchased a Sanwa ERG-WRX digital servo for my 1:10. It's been performing very well untill all of a sudden, it jammed . The servo horn won't even move at all even after I disconnect it from the receiver. I removed the horn, brushed it well and the areas around thinking there might be something stuck in between, but nothing was there. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting it to the receiver, and still no life . I have the same servo which I bought for steering and used both from day one. So both have the same life span. The steering servo is working fine. I really need urgent assistance because I don't wan't go out, buy another one, and then realize that there was something I could have done to revive it.

Has this happened to anyone before?? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions??
Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Im not an expert, but it sounds to me like its the gears inside,possibly the servo was thrown too far and jammed up internally.
i would say take it back where you bought it and see if they'll give you a new one, or take it apart and inspect the gears inside, could be a small burr or they are stripped.
good luck!!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

-possibly chipped a tooth or teeth. is it mg or plastic? pull the case apart and look at the gears, you should see the damage easily9if there is some). you should be able to buy a gear set for your servo and replace them if that is the trouble.......also MAKE SURE you plug this servo into your steering channel on your receiver and try for correct operation, could also be the receiver and/or plug connection that's giving you fits........................one last thing, with the gears out of the servo, you can check for movement of the motor, should be a small pinion on the end of the motor shaft...........good luck..
Old 01-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Take it apart and see if a tooth broke and is jamming the gears inside. They are not that scary inside. You may also have a bearing siezed on the end of the motor. Just observe the order of the gears as you diassemble it, and watch the pins that go thru the gears, the usually pin into the case top.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Unfortunately, I bought it from an online store. Don't really know if they'll take it back or even offer such services. I'll try to email them and wait for the results. In the meantime, I'll also open it up and ispect the gears.

Thanks anyways for the advice..
Old 01-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Although my knowledge about servos is very limited,, I just hope I didn't toast it by mistake.. Or did I??
Old 01-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitro_moe
Although my knowledge about servos is very limited,, I just hope I didn't toast it by mistake.. Or did I??
-will the motor turn with the gears out?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

You won't know till you take it apart. If its a digital coreless, the motor will probably be ok, but the pcb board inside will have a toasted peice on it. I killed a JR servo once but it would move the horn oddly with no servo reacton from the radio. So it is probably a gear problem.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Taylorm
-will the motor turn with the gears out?
The motor won't turn at all even after it's disconnected from the receiver or any power source.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DogboneS
You won't know till you take it apart. If its a digital coreless, the motor will probably be ok, but the pcb board inside will have a toasted peice on it. I killed a JR servo once but it would move the horn oddly with no servo reacton from the radio. So it is probably a gear problem.
Please don't tell me that I killed mine.. I didn't get any reaction from the radio or the servo itself. Suppose the piece on the pcb board is toast, can I find a replacement part or would that mean that I would have to buy a new one??
Old 01-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Take it apart. Something is jamming the gears. It may be a tooth or just a fragment of the casing which can be removed and restore your servo. If the electronics are toast the servo should still turn. If you lost a tooth on the gears the horn would move and then move too freely as the gears slip past the missing tooth.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

I toasted my JR by plugging it backwards on the three pins and that toasted the control board.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro_moe
Please don't tell me that I killed mine.. I didn't get any reaction from the radio or the servo itself. Suppose the piece on the pcb board is toast, can I find a replacement part or would that mean that I would have to buy a new one??
Both Airtronics and KoPropo have repair stations in the USA. I have sent servos to KO in the past and the turn around and repair cost have been very reasonable.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Ok guys.. I tried to do everything I can to fix this problem. When I opened up the servo, the gears seemed to be fine except for the last one sticking out of the motor. It appeared to be jammed. So I removed the lower electrical board along with the motor, tried rotating it a bit. After it was free again, I assembled everything together, and back to square one..No Life!! . I tried to look at the gears more carefully than till my eyes fell out..

I think it's time I gave it to someone who knows his stuff about servos better than I do. Maybe he/she can help me out. Or, I'll just send it to a Sanwa service station to get it fixed as a last resort althoug I'd hate to wait for such a long time to send it and get it back. Thank you so much for your support and feedback. I really appreciate it..