Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Associated TC3 Plus RTR - good base car for beginner racer? >

Associated TC3 Plus RTR - good base car for beginner racer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated TC3 Plus RTR - good base car for beginner racer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Associated TC3 Plus RTR - good base car for beginner racer?

Hey guys, as most of you know we had a long chat about which car would be a good competitive RTR for me to start with. And most of you decided in the end and so did i, that it would be good to go with the team magic g4s RTR. HOWEVER, my funds are looking a bit limited to start with and i am not sure if i can still get the g4s RTR anymore. As the topic says, my other option is the team associated TC3 rtr, the only dealer close to me stocks these and i can get one new for about $200 cheaper than the G4S rtr (reason being that the import duties here are very high and i would have to import the G4S rtr myself). Well anyway guys, the TC3 is looking tempting, should i go for it? Obviously i would plan on buying a different radio but i just want to know if this car is STILL a good base for me to start racing with. Bare in mind i have never raced r/c before, just owned a couple hpi electric rs4s that i messed around with in the past. Please let me know if i would be making a mistake or if it would be a good choice to start with the TC3. Thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

Hey mate

I started out with the NTC3 RTR+ and it is a great car to learn on! You get some of the good bits with it (2 speed etc) and all of the factory team bits bolt on! There is plenty of info out there about the NTC3 as well

Enjoy
Steve
Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I tryed searching on the ntc3 on here but couldn't find much info. Is it an out of date platform that i will find myself looking to buy a new car soon after i buy it? Or is it a competitive platform to start with that can last and recieves upgrades well?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Tech Initiate

I've had the Team NTC3 kit for 3 years now. The only thing that regularly breaks on it is the front suspension mount. (only after I hit things) After breaking a couple of shock mounts and diff covers I bought "The Fix" which ties the top shock mount to the chassis. I got it off of e-bay.
We run on a smooth asphalt track and I set it up with red springs all around. It's not the fastest car as the Mugens out run me frequently but it did run well and has given me good stress relief over the years.
For what it's worth.
Good luck
Remember
Worse day racing is still better than your best day at work.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

how would you guys compare it to the g4s rtr kit? Can it compete with that after some fine tuning? I just basically want to know if i should wait a little longer and get the g4s or if the tc3 would be a wise option
Old 12-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Thats a tough question. The ntc3 is a very competitive car. I owned one for 3 years before switching to a mugen. One thing the NTC3 taught me was set-up. And how important it is(the sweet spot for a NTC3 is alot smaller than for the G4). I believe the only thing the Ntc3 outshines the G4 in is local parts support (hobbytown) and parts price. The ntc3 parts will be a little cheaper than the G4 but I believe the G4 will not break as much as the Ntc3. If it were me I would go with the G4 just because it can upgraded to the G4s when the time arises. If you stick with the Ntc3 once your skills outgrow the NTc3 I believe you would be sorta stuck with a car that has reached it peak with no further room to grow. I scared alot of club guys with my Ntc3. But I have to admit the parts quality of all the top sedans (ie kyosho,mugen,serpent,TM). Is Far Far superior than the Ntc3 parts. Remember all associated parts are mass produced for the RTR market.
If you catch the touring car racing bug I'd rather be equipt with a race breed car rather than a RTR.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the reply guys, lil-bump you answered my question perfectly, sounds like the NTC3 doesn't leave much room to grow so it looks so far like unless i get impatient i will be waiting for a G4s RTR kit.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hey, i've got an NTC3 and i can keep up with just about anything on the track. i don't race professional events or anything but i think the NTC3 is an amazing car. yea it's hard to get it setup right but once it is, it will run with the pack. i dropped an O.S. .12 tz 3 port in mine and it books. you can also upgrade it like crazy for pretty cheap. now i've never driven the super expensive cars and i'm sure they're pretty sweet but i don't see a problem with my NTC3 so i'm gonna stick with it. that's just my opinion
Old 01-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the ntc3 is a great car.
Low maintenance,extra efficient drive shaft, super light weight and
great parts availability. Associated should have continued developing
the car.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Tech Initiate

im in complete love with my NTC3..

i still haven't track raced.. but for backyard bashing.. its a blast. plenty of power.. and parts are easily avail.

yes, ive been known to brake diff covers, and shock tower mounts.. lol