Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Riketsu
I just wanted everyone to be extra careful with the Capricorn Composite. I already broke one during a qualifier, so I'll just stick with steel ones. The oil in the case was new.
I still can not understand how could they break... Im running them hard for 12liters(3 gallons) and they are still like new.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just wanted everyone to be extra careful with the Capricorn Composite. I already broke one during a qualifier, so I'll just stick with steel ones. The oil in the case was new.

thanks for letting us know, i also run them in my diffs.

did you check there was enough oil in there? let it sit for a while so all oil can sink around the gears (because they are small) or drill it, open it back up and re-fill?

maybe try running 2 steel gears (instead of 4), so see how it would hold up? it would end up weighing the same.

only prob is though, you would need to double to wt of the oil to achieve the weight you would normally use.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Sorry guys, I was not specific enough.

The teeth of the composite gears look new. They all still look new. One of the big gears (the one at the outdrives end), broke on the opposite side of the teeth. The outdrive pin just chewed on that end.

I had been running mine for a few races. Just don't know exactly how many.

When I opened the diffs, it had all the oil there. So they were filled enough and were not leaking.

I prefer being 20 grams heavier than not finishing a race.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks Riketsu, Mr. Hudy also spoke of this issue in their last Xray Column where 3 drivers broke in the final.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...ec2997d488f64f
Old 08-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The teeth of the composite gears look new. They all still look new. One of the big gears (the one at the outdrives end), broke on the opposite side of the teeth. The outdrive pin just chewed on that end.

When I opened the diffs, it had all the oil there. So they were filled enough and were not leaking.

Estoy de acuerdo !
I agree !
Old 08-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Guys we have been running them since the pre-worlds and have no problem, but I do know some of the team did have problems. I am not sure how they built them.

When I build Ralph's diff I always use new parts. You do not just want to change out the gears. The pin that is ripping up the back of the big gear needs to be new when using the lightweight gears. The pin gets alot of wear on it from the steel gear.

Thanks Drew
Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
Daniel

The extra weight we needed was in the engine mount and the Nimh 1600. So with the weight there I was able to lighten up the car in the drive train and balance the car. We also run the plastic receiver box. Ralph's car weighed 27 grams over the limit with main tires. With just the capricorn wheels with no rubber Ralph's car was 2 grams over the limit.

The pulleys we ran were just the outside. Everything else was stock plastic. Xray will offer all the pulleys in alum.

Thanks Drew

Drew,

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking for some of those new parts which will be rolling out soon.

Regards,

Daniel
Old 08-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Drew do you all use brake springs between your brake pads ? The picture of Ralph's car is not that clear in that area.

thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jelayne
Drew do you all use brake springs between your brake pads ? The picture of Ralph's car is not that clear in that area.

thanks
Yes we use springs..

Thanks Drew
Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Yes we use springs..

Thanks Drew
Hey Drew,

can you please explain how the steering servo is mounted? What servo arm is used? Is it a low profile steering servo? I can't see from the pictures how the pivot ball can be mounted facing the pipe instead of an opposite direction.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Tech Adept

guys, do you know what is the effects of using 2 bevel gears instead of of 4 in the diff? is it all about weight?
Is the durability an issue? I think i read about some serpent guys using it in their cars during wc.

Also, what type of oil should be used when using 2 gears instead of 4? I suppose harder silikone should
be used, but how much harder?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default composite gears

We here in down under also experienced mixed success with the composite, 1 driver running 4-5 meetings with no probs and myself the gears lasting 2 litres same pin issue, back to the steel for me!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Hey Drew,

can you please explain how the steering servo is mounted? What servo arm is used? Is it a low profile steering servo? I can't see from the pictures how the pivot ball can be mounted facing the pipe instead of an opposite direction.

Thanks.
The servo is mounted stock. The arm is the new alum. hudy arm for the 808. The servo is a 2367 kopropo. With this arm it has to be mounted on the front of it. We were braking the plastic one so we went with the alum. and have had no problems.

Thanks Drew

Last edited by Drew Ellis; 08-08-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The servo is mounted stock. The arm is the new alum. hudy arm for the 808. The servo is a 2667 kopropo. With this arm it has to be mounted on the front of it. We were braking the plastic one so we went with the alum. and have had no problems.

Thanks Drew
2367 KO?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Osiris 75
2367 KO?

Yes, sorry. Typing to early in the morning not good.

Thanks Drew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.