Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Are you just trying to be modest?

It's okay to admit that you won something. How about some details?
Yep. However, I've been waiting for the results to be posted in order to do a correct debrief. Seeing the lap times always jogs my memory on the details.

Overall, the competition was pretty close with the top 5 drivers (1 NT1, 1 Kyosho, 2 Mugens and 1 Serpent) having a similar pace. I missed out on TQ by 1 second to the Kyosho and had to start the main in second.

During the main, I was pushed wide in the first corner and crossed the line in 6th place on the 1st lap. However, after the first pit stop (30m main) I was able to gain the lead as there were some flameouts, wrecks and such with the other drivers. I was anxious after losing five positions in the first corner though and I ended up performing a few bump passes, which I'm not really proud of.

My car wasn't the fastest for any single lap, but it was the easiest to drive consistently fast lap after lap. The only thing that slowed me down was a badly chunked right rear about halfway through the main. I originally thought the cars handling went off because the track was suddenly cast in shadow and the grip came up. However, after looking at the car at home I discovered the chunked rear tire.

FYI, for the past month I have been running an SL3 with a very slightly self-modified crank and head button. The motor had more RPM, but I had a tough time making run-time and keeping it cool & fast. This past weekend, I put in a stock crank (M.F. modified of course) and head button, geared it up a little more, and the SL3 was just as fast but made run-time and ran cooler. I think I'll leave the SL3 modifications alone from now on. This motor is fast enough.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
That would be pretty funny if most everyone switched to the NT1. It would certainly eliminate the "Is it me or my gear?" debate.

How does your performance this season compare to last season? Do you think the chassis made that much of a difference? Were you running the same engine last season? If not, how much do you think the engine contributed to your performance?
More than 1/2 have already made the switch or have their old car up for sale to do so.

Last season was my first year running gas and it took me a while figure things out, but once I got going things went well and I was competitive with a G4s. Last year I had long run reliability issue largely due to me racing like I would a 5min electric main. This season I learned more about nitro setup, motor tuning, and long sting strategy and improved accordingly. The magic was a good car but it was expensive with all the modification it needed and I just couldn't get it to work low grip sealed tracks like the Mugen & Kyosho cars did. We do have 1 euro style track out here and around that circuit it was better than anything else including my NT1. As for my engine I bought a Mega MF Masmo last year and ran it again this season. With my Mega in need of a new p/s set I picked up a sub $200 motor for the last couple of races and plan on running it for club races next year.

when it comes to cub racers most just want something that works where someone else can give them a setup that works. At my home track setup help only come in the the NT1 & RRR variety and the X-Ray having local parts support its the clear winner. The other nitro club going strong the region was almost exclusivity Kyosho but again x-ray parts support is better in the area and the racers with the greatest improvement has come from an NT1 runner I have been helping with setup.

Mark
Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guy ~ Thanks for the details. Congrats on the win.

As I'm sure you know, when qualifying is really close, the mistakes and misfortune of your competitors often helps you move up or regain lost positions. Don't you just love how that works out some times?

Like you pointed out, being consistent was the key. IMO, Toso won last year's ROAR Nats with the 720 because he had the most consistent lap times and pit stops (very important) and didn't have any mishaps. Not changing tires also helped!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtveten
More than 1/2 have already made the switch or have their old car up for sale to do so.

Last season was my first year running gas and it took me a while figure things out, but once I got going things went well and I was competitive with a G4s. Last year I had long run reliability issue largely due to me racing like I would a 5min electric main. This season I learned more about nitro setup, motor tuning, and long sting strategy and improved accordingly. The magic was a good car but it was expensive with all the modification it needed and I just couldn't get it to work low grip sealed tracks like the Mugen & Kyosho cars did. We do have 1 euro style track out here and around that circuit it was better than anything else including my NT1. As for my engine I bought a Mega MF Masmo last year and ran it again this season. With my Mega in need of a new p/s set I picked up a sub $200 motor for the last couple of races and plan on running it for club races next year.

when it comes to cub racers most just want something that works where someone else can give them a setup that works. At my home track setup help only come in the the NT1 & RRR variety and the X-Ray having local parts support its the clear winner. The other nitro club going strong the region was almost exclusivity Kyosho but again x-ray parts support is better in the area and the racers with the greatest improvement has come from an NT1 runner I have been helping with setup.

Mark
Thanks. You know Mark, I never realized that this was only your 2nd season running nitro. I was always under the impression that you have been running nitro for years!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:45 PM
GK
Suspended

And look at Guy - his first year running nitro (BTW, congrats on your win roomie!)
I've noticed quite a few electric drivers picking up nitro after Xray released their NT1. That's a good thing. Also the competition level has increased since the average electric driver has better driving skills than an average nitro-only driver. Everybody stepped up their game. Too bad the season is over, one more nitro race for me
Old 10-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

"the average electric driver has better driving skills than an average nitro-only driver"

Thats not nice!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:44 PM
GK
Suspended

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
"the average electric driver has better driving skills than an average nitro-only driver"
Thats not nice!!!!!!!!!
There are few exceptions, but it's true in most cases

Last edited by GK; 10-03-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dj apolaro

Thats not nice!!!!!!!!!
I plead the fifth. No comment.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think I need to race this Teamgp guy and put some pressure on him...
Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Gitsum
I think teamgp is a xray international team drivers ( looking at his avatar ) ..... Are you sure you can put adequate pressure on him ( team driver ) ?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gitsum
I have enough already.

You going to Kissimmee?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 AM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Just about to buy the NT1 can you please tell me what springs come with the car. We have a low traction track with a couple of mild bumps so I would like to order the correct springs. Do the latest kits also come with the hard foam bumper.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 06:49 AM
GK
Suspended

Originally Posted by teamgp
I have enough already.

You going to Kissimmee?
Why don't you come to our regionals this sunday since you have nothing better to do...
Old 10-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asw7576
I think teamgp is a xray international team drivers ( looking at his avatar ) ..... Are you sure you can put adequate pressure on him ( team driver ) ?
asw, I'm not an international team driver. I work for XRAY HQ as part of their customer support team. ;o)
Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by B4
Hi Guys,

Just about to buy the NT1 can you please tell me what springs come with the car. We have a low traction track with a couple of mild bumps so I would like to order the correct springs. Do the latest kits also come with the hard foam bumper.

Thanks
The springs that come with the car should be fine, you may have to mess around with roll center and droop to accomodate for the low traction, but those tuning options come with the kit so try and mess around with the car in stock form first. The silver springs come with the car, and I've never changed them out even when running on a parking lot track I still run those springs. Also the kit still come's with the regular foam bumper, not the hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.