Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitrogasm

rcfoolz , what roll center change did you find worked . front or rear raise or lower ?
In removed the 2 shimms on the rear upright, and stood the shocks up to the top hole in the front. The rear of the car was more planted.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 427 COBRA
I am laughing so damn hard, I just gotta make this post. I am normaly an 1/8th scale racer, and Im not the fastest guy by far. But I have out quallified the " Fool " twice in a row with my MTX3 at the same club track. What tickels me so, is that there is anyone out there that thinks the new car on the block is really any better then any other modern day car from any other manufacturer. The guy that TQed with an NT1 this week works hard the day before the race on his setup, before he had this car, he TQed twice in a row with a RRR car. There is a 720 right up in the mix there too. James man Im laugh'in with ya dude.
I will say this though for non-pros...

For each individual, based on their driving style, setup skills and engine tuning ability, one car will "appear to be" better than the others.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:54 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

When somebody says his new car is 0.5 seconds a lap faster then his old car, I always wonder what would have happend if he bought a brand new old car....

Cars wear out, and slowly will become more difficult to drive, but you grow with the car, so you wil not notice it....

I still run the 950R with Mega DSII in the highest class in Holland, and am able to outrun some MRX4/Ninja/Nova combinations, if the 960 would really be 0.5 seconds faster a lap than my 950R, I would compete for the Dutch Championship....., now I am around the 15-20 spot......
Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I wonder the same. But I believe the person who stated they were faster , they actually beat their best times. I guess you can ask them how old their previous car was. That would at least clue in on if the older car was slower due to needed maintenance.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I wonder the same. But I believe the person who stated they were faster , they actually beat their best times. I guess you can ask them how old their previous car was. That would at least clue in on if the older car was slower due to needed maintenance.
Glad you mentioned the maintenance factor. On my MTX3, I broke the car completely down, relubed the bearing with teflon lube, replaced a worn belt and a couple of worn parts (after months of racing), and with the change to a slightly less powerful engine, gained two laps per qualifier at our big track in Rendon, TX (home of the Texas Biggie). Before that, I could not get past the 13 lap per 5 min qualifying hump. The best I have done with my MTX4 on the same track is 14 laps. Both cars have nearly the identical setup (modified slightly on the MTX4 due to the slightly different geometry). As I learn my MTX4, I will probably get faster but and many races I have attended, I have had my best runs (and lap times) on the "old" MTX3, not the MTX4.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

hi,
can anyone tell how mutch teeth the rear diff pulley from nt1 have
thanks

dieter
Old 05-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

For those who have issues with the stock bumper, Xray released the wide bumper (#331201) for the NT1 as an option part (just like they did with the electric series). They also have hard foam bumpers in the works.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:24 PM
GK
Suspended

Originally Posted by 4racer
hi,
can anyone tell how mutch teeth the rear diff pulley from nt1 have
thanks
dieter
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M7H
Cars wear out, and slowly will become more difficult to drive, but you grow with the car, so you wil not notice it....
Very true. I had some bearings go bad on me in two different cars during a multicar event. One of them had completely seized up, but I did not become aware of it until I had to change my rear diff oil.

Originally Posted by M7H
I still run the 950R with Mega DSII in the highest class in Holland, and am able to outrun some MRX4/Ninja/Nova combinations, if the 960 would really be 0.5 seconds faster a lap than my 950R, I would compete for the Dutch Championship....., now I am around the 15-20 spot......
Only one way to find out.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
As I learn my MTX4, I will probably get faster but and many races I have attended, I have had my best runs (and lap times) on the "old" MTX3, not the MTX4.
Very interesting. Have you narrowed it down to what it might be? I think you're the first person I've come across that said that their 3 was faster than their 4.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Very interesting. Have you narrowed it down to what it might be? I think you're the first person I've come across that said that their 3 was faster than their 4.
Can't quite put my finger on it. My MTX3 is pretty much box stock with only the 0.8 pitch gears and hollow two speed shaft being my only hop-ups. The engine of choice: stock OS 12tz. My MTX4 is box stock. The engine of choice in that one: Max Power MF 12 s3. I think the engine is playing a part in it: OS-managable power, Max Power-wild a$$ power. The only evidence that I have is in lap times at races. Just attended a race in Mississippi and qualified with my MTX4. My fastest lap in qualifying, 18.2 sec with consistent lap times in the mid 18s. I decided to pull out the MTX3 for the main due to not being satisfied with my runs on the MTX4, turn my fastest lap of the day at a low 17 sec with many laps in the upper 17 secs to low 18 secs consistently. Again, both cars are set up the same and I used the tires off my 4 on the 3 in the main. I pretty much use the Stratus 3.1 for all my touring cars now.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

JLock... I've moved this to the 4 thread.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up Project NT1

I should have one of these bad boys some time this week.
I have made a list of a few things that i will get be for i run her..
308386 XRAY SPRING-SET D=1.7 (25 LB) DARK-BLUE - REAR (4)
308397 XRAY SPRING-SET D=1.8 (33 LB) PURPLE - REAR (4)
338183 XRAY SPRING D=1.7 (25 LB) DARK-BLUE - FRONT (2)
338187 XRAY SPRING D=1.8 (33 LB) PURPLE - FRONT (2)
33 1201 COMPOSITE WIDE BUMPER
33 1211 COMPOSITE FRONT HOLDER FOR PERSONAL TRANSPONDER
33 1215 GRAPHITE UPPER HOLDER FOR BUMPER
33 1221 FOAM BUMPER - HARD
33 3401 REAR ADJUSTABLE ANTI-ROLL BAR - SET
33 5100 XRAY MULTI DIFF - ONE-WAY - SOLID - SET
33 5205 CVD DRIVE SHAFT - 55 MM - SET - HUDY SPRING STEEL™
33 5250 ALU WHEEL HUB (2)
33 5252 ALU WHEEL HUB - OFFSET „+0.75MM“ (2)
33 5305 CVD DRIVE SHAFT - 60 MM - SET - HUDY SPRING STEEL™
Madbeats all P______ cum test....
Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Only one way to find out.
Next Year...
I try to race 3 seasons with a car (I don't really practice a lot, but should practice more)....

Even though I like to compete on the highest level possible for me, this is still a HOBBY for me.....
Old 05-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Nitrogasm
took the nt1 out for the first time today and i thought i would share my findings with everyone

btw thanks for the sway bar eccentric and shock building help fellas , fixxed me right up.

i had been racing the mtx-4 up until today , the mugen has got me into a tie for 2nd place in the speedworld nitro series expert class .

here we go the good the bad and the ugly of the xray

build fit and finish are excellent , lots of small ideas make this car great from the box.
two that come to mind are the hex heads on the ends of the front sway blades and the other are the cylindrical bearings in the 2 speed clutch . there are ton of other great thoughts into the car too.

the car using the factory set up sheet has plenty of steering and is well planted to the track . it was loose in the rear but wasn't bad .
i always run a spool at speedworld so i ran it in the nt1 as well , the first driving adjustment i had to make was letting off the gas earlier than the mugen because the car's drive train is so free it coasts like a one way . very good
the car will not scrub speed with a spool like the mugen did.

so now that we know it handles very good and solid right out of the box lets hear the bad and the ugly.

dog bones were popping out without hitting anything , the front track width was set to factory spec , even using fuel tubing inside the diff cups i still lost dog bones , so i start triming back the steering dual rate until the dog bones stopped coming out . lost all the good usable steering fixxing it this way. my next fix was to narrow the track width down to 195 . the dog bones stopped coming out but now the tie rods were too long to adjust for toe out . grrrr

i seriously didnt make a full tank of fuel without dog bones coming out all day . very lame , where the hell are the cvd's xray ? why would you put a kit on the market without them in this highly competitive market .

here comes the ugly .

the front bumper foam is no better than a sponge to do your dishes with offering ZERO protection .
pair this lame soft foam with a mini lower plastic bumper and you have the recipe to sell tons of front uprights.

i smoked 3 front uprights in the three times i contacted the boards . mugen never failed me there .

not only myself but a few other drivers felt after seeing the very weakest bumper foam on the planet, this was a dirty sales tactic by xray to sell more initial parts from damage.
the front end basically has no protection ! cmon xray the hard foam is no more expensive than the the soft foam you included.

front uprights are of extremly brittle plastic .hits of very light magnitude destroyed the uprights . i am sure the mugen serpent and g4s's would have survived these light hits .

how could a company bring so many great new ideas to the game but fail so horribly on the simple stuff .

fair warning to all, buy the hard foam option bumper and also get the lower wide pastic bumper ,which btw are both standard parts on every other car .

also dont waste your time until you get cvd's , save the frustration.

sorry to be so negative on the nt1 but it really let me down over and over and over today .

i hope mr hudy sees this and fixes these few things . the car will be great but xray fumbled the ball badly on the smallest and simplest of things.
honestly i dont think the bumper was a fumble it's more like a poor idea to sell more parts . because i cant think of any other reason an "Master Engineer" would include such worthless foam for a bumper.
think good and hard about this issue !

unless i get the option cvd's and jimmy rig the mugen bumper to the nt1 next weeks points series race will be with the mugen .
even though the xray feels better on the track , durability issues wont win races , i'll take a slower car that wont break please.
Here is an answer from Mr. Hudy he asked me to post for him:

Thank you for constructive criticism. First of all I suggest that any positive or negative experience with constructive criticism you may address directly to XRAY at the XRAY's forum at http://forum.teamxray.com where I regularly check all comments and feedback from all customers which is valuable for further improvements.

Before the NT1 was introduced of course it was long term tested around the world and we have decided for certain details. To get a bit background info about the NT1 development you can read my regular column where I have disclosed some pretty tough issues we had to face and went through. The main priority with designing the NT was to ensure that the car will have the best handling characterstics, to make it strong and to make it easy to assembly and work on. As I can see your main problem is the front foam bumper which is soft. The reason we decided for soft bumper is the super lightweight of the material and it does not influence the handling characteristics of the car but it helps to protect the body during a crash. Of course we do offer also optional stiff bumper which is heavier and this has certainly some part of influence on the racing characteristics of the car. For some customers the racing characteristics is more important than a stiff bumper (some top driver do not use foam bumper at all). I can honestly say that I am not a top driver and I have been using the soft bumper and had no problems at all and I have been running the NT1 for a long time.
Within the long term tests we have undergone plenty of crash tests and we had no problem with the steeringblocks as you indicate. In the fact, as I wrote in one of columns, we had problems we rear lower arm which forced me to redesign the whole rear suspension and to change the design of the rear arm. So you can be sure that all the parts very carefully and long term tested before the production batch was ready. Of course we will keep to watch all the feedback and experiences from all the customers and therefore, as requested at the beginning, to provide the direct feedback we would appreciate if you post any your comments at the XRAY forum. If the long term experiences and feedback from customers will result into requirement of steering block change, you can be sure that XRAY as usually will listen to the customers and will continue the ongoing development to ensure only the best service and products the customers have been looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.