Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Default What charger?

-I'm looking to pick up a charger for my 960. I want something to charge Nimh packs but also maybe be able to charge Lipos in the future. What are you guys using? Orions advantage looks like a good charger, but i'm not to crazy about spending 180.00 to charge receiver packs. What else is out there comparable for maybe a little less money? Thanks, Matt...............
Old 12-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

Hey man, your near toledo, ohio.
why dont you go to the oneeightracers site and email Ted Hammer, im sure he can point ya in the right direction.
you dont need anything special unless your racing electric.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Have a look at the X-power 601AD or Bantam E-station BC5. Around $120 each.

X-power is mainly sold in Hong Kong or China at all the main model shops (rcmart, rcsmart, jns inc).
Bantam is sold at rcaccessory.com in Tampa Fl.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

duratrax intelli ice is awsome it charges lipos and reciever nicd and nimh not to mention it costs 100.00 and its really simple tio use
Old 12-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mugendude
duratrax intelli ice is awsome it charges lipos and reciever nicd and nimh not to mention it costs 100.00 and its really simple tio use
-checked out ice charger at tower and looks like a good deal. will probably go for it ...thanx mugendude.....
Old 12-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

You might want to check out the Triton Jr. It charges and cycles Nicad, NiMh, LiPo, and Pb (lead acid batteries). Very small compact easy to carry, and easy to use. I have been using one of these for about 4 months and it charges everything I use for 1/8 scale on road......even my sealed cell starter box. Price: about 80 bucks.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am using the Hobbico field charger. It does Nicads, Nimh, and Lipo's but one of the good things is that it has two chargers in one. You can charge the Tx and RX at the same time. It has a dial on both sides to adjust the amps from a fraction of a amp to three amps. It is about $50
Old 12-20-2006, 05:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would look at a charger that can also charge your batteries for your starter box. The Triton is good, not my favorite, but it does all the batteries you mentioned plus the amps can go high enough for stick packs or like P2gee mentioned, it also does lead acid. The only problem with those batteries in a starter box is they are heavy and can't really be fast charged.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was the ICE charger that seemed to appeal to me most. I personally carry two chargers, one is the field charger that The DOCTOR mentioned, then the Novak Millenium pro for all other batteries. This way you can charge EVERYTHING before the main with no worries to have everything peaked out. Lots of options, just take your time and veiw the pro's and con's. Most chargers will work fine for what you are needing them for. If you were doing electric racing, well then that's a totally different story. Good luck!!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Serpentd
I would look at a charger that can also charge your batteries for your starter box. The Triton is good, not my favorite, but it does all the batteries you mentioned plus the amps can go high enough for stick packs or like P2gee mentioned, it also does lead acid. The only problem with those batteries in a starter box is they are heavy and can't really be fast charged.
If you have stick packs in your starter box, the Triton Jr will probably charge them ok. Going from memory here, the Jr only has a max charging amps of 1.5. If you need to charge stick packs in a hurry the standard Triton might be a better choice as I believe it's max charging amps is 7. I personally prefer lead acid bats in my starter box as the are better suited to the relatively long duty cycle current demands of starter box use.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Taylorm
-I'm looking to pick up a charger for my 960. I want something to charge Nimh packs but also maybe be able to charge Lipos in the future. What are you guys using? Orions advantage looks like a good charger, but i'm not to crazy about spending 180.00 to charge receiver packs. What else is out there comparable for maybe a little less money? Thanks, Matt...............
Check out Team Orion's Avionics Advanced flight charger.

Advantage Advanced Flight Charger

At under $80.00, it is a pretty good deal considering its abilities:

Features:
• Capable of charging and Discharging:
- NiCD/Ni-MH 1-14 cells
- Li-Io or Li-Po 1-5 cells
- lead acid (Pb) batteries 1-6 [2V per cell]
• Adjustable charge current (0.1A-5.0A)
• Adjustable discharge current (0.1A-1.0A)
• “Zero Delta V” peak detection for NiCd and Ni-MH batteries
• “Constant current/discharge voltage” charge method for lithium-Ion/Po and Pb batteries.
• Compact & portable size
• Cycling (Charge to Discharge / Discharge to Charge)
• 2 line, 16 character blue backlit LCD Screen
• Button control - “Surface panel type”
• Warning sytems prevents improper voltage
• Super durable aluminum case

Specs:
Input Voltage: 11.0-15.0V DC
Battery type & cells:
-NiCD/Ni-MH 1-14 cells
-Li-Po cells 1-5 (3.6 or 3.7V)
-Lead Acid cells 1-6 (2V per cell)
Charge current: 0.1A ~ 5A
Discharge curent: 0.1A ~ 1A
Trickle charge curr.: 0 ~ 250mA
Charge termination:
-“Zero Delta V” peak detection for NiCD & Ni-MH
-“Constant current/Constant voltage” for Li-Io and Li-Po batteries
Cycling: Charge>Discharge/Discharge>Charge
Display Type: 2 line, 16 character LCD backlit

Advantage at Stormer Hobbies
Old 12-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

both the team orion avionics and the trition jr seem to be based on the
multiplex, which carries tower for about 70, been using it for about a year, so far so good, charges everything, compact and easy to use.
check the coming nitro charger from dynamite, e simultaneous charges up for 6 amps for the tx rx and glow starter, too bad is not ac dc powered