Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo GT-4???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 10:09 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Yeah, the fuel tank was one of the problems. (I'm currently running a Mugen MTX-2 tank and just sent in my old Yok tank for the newly updated one.)

One major and costly problem is the 2 speed. The pin wears through easily. Once it wears, its $26 a pop for another hub. If you check the Yokomo forum, people have re-fitted Mugen 2 speeds and Serpent 2 speeds (there are pics too.) Its really sad that it costs $100 for the Serpent unit and a new shaft (who knows how much it costs) made by smitty on the forum. Those guys are running rear exhaust engines though. I run a OS .12 CVR and already has small wear on my 2 speed pin. I have no problems with the stock clutch though. Its been reliable. Main reason people upgrade to Centax is easier to adjust without disassembling anything.

Other small gripes are flexible and weak stock chassis, flexible upper deck (most people upgrade to aluminum or graphite upper deck anyways like I had), front layshaft flexing (lose a lot of front belts and pulleys that way, brittle axles (bubba39 had someone machine custom axles for him and other people have fitted Serpent axles), and weak front and rear carriers. (Steve of Speedtechrc tried to get some molds for delrin carriers but it was just too expensive.) You can contact them if you don't believe me.

The GT4 is a great car once all the bugs are worked out. It handles like nothing else, its predictable, corners fast, and is stable. Sorry to say, but I don't know anyone that "raves" about the durability of the GT4. I've seen (respective to the class of cars) Serpents, Mugens, and V One R's take harder hits and break less even with hack drivers. HPI NRS4's for the main part are durable but don't handle like the other cars mentioned.

Just saying that what you hear is not always the case. Take a word from other GT4 owners and I. If you want a GT4, be prepared to spend a lot of money in the future. This is the truth. I don't want to be some liar and say "it's a great car and it has no problems what-so-ever."

That pretty much sums it up. I've been eyeing the V One R for a while since its pretty much performs well out of the box with no needed upgrades. Not to mention very durable thanks to good parts material used. I still love my GT4 though despite the problems!
Old 10-08-2001, 10:14 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Smile

BTW, for this thread, here's a pic of my pride and joy!

Kind of old pic though, I'll take new ones later on.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For everybody's info, Yokomo will be launching the new RTR nitro cars at the Hot Import Daze Show to be held in Hidden Valley, Irvine on Saturday, October 13, 2001 from 11am to 7pm. Spectators will have a chance to drive the cars and possibly win some exciting prizes. Come join the fun this Saturday! This show is known to showcase really great looking cars and did I forget to say 'Babes'? Check out the website http://www.hotimportnights.com/ for all the info and direction to the show. See you there!!
Old 10-09-2001, 12:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Hey Paul,
Can you get us an admission "discount" if we bring our Yok's to race and help promote?

If I can be of any assistance, please E-mail me at: [email protected]

Drew
Old 10-09-2001, 02:51 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Originally posted by pauld
For everybody's info, Yokomo will be launching the new RTR nitro cars at the Hot Import Daze Show to be held in Hidden Valley, Irvine on Saturday, October 13, 2001 from 11am to 7pm. Spectators will have a chance to drive the cars and possibly win some exciting prizes. Come join the fun this Saturday! This show is known to showcase really great looking cars and did I forget to say 'Babes'? Check out the website http://www.hotimportnights.com/ for all the info and direction to the show. See you there!!
Is that you? Paul Dabao of Yokomo?

Anyways, check your guys mail! I send in my fuel tank just over a week ago. Look for package from "Daniel Ho" Thanks.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Hi Drew!

Your GT-4 is lookin killer man. How did you end up doing at Ultimate on Sunday?
Old 10-09-2001, 04:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Uhhh, how do I put this.... I got a top 5 finish!!-Just barely edging out Rukey! LOL

It was just those 3 weeks without any R/Cing!
Yeah, that's it! hehe

Seriously, though, I had JUST gotten my beast back together the night before with the new Z-Speed chassis (which ROCKS!) and Graphite upper deck, set it up, took it to Ultimate on Sunday and only ran 1/2 tank before the qualifyers. I'm just happy I finished all of the qualifyers and main!-In one piece, even! LOL

Check out the chassis. The one on the bottom is the STOCK chassis (6061 3.0mm), the middle one is the Integy Chassis (7075 3.2mm-MUCH stronger than stock), and the Blue one on top is the Z-Speed chassis (7075 4.0mm)
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo GT-4???-gt4-chassis-3-.jpg  
Old 10-09-2001, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unfortunately I cant get a discounted tickets for the show, they are very strict about it.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:53 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Got my tank in today. Thanks to you and the guys at Yokomo!

Old 10-22-2001, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Look!!!! Ran it at the SVM speedway........feels like an 1/8th scale .......everybody say its an Impact......sure fooled them!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo GT-4???-edwinsgtp1.jpg  
Old 10-22-2001, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

heres another view....
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo GT-4???-edwinsgtp2.jpg  
Old 10-22-2001, 11:33 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan
[B]Yeah, the fuel tank was one of the problems. (I'm currently running a Mugen MTX-2 tank and just sent in my old Yok tank for the newly updated one.)

One major and costly problem is the 2 speed. The pin wears through easily. Once it wears, its $26 a pop for another hub. If you check the Yokomo forum, people have re-fitted Mugen 2 speeds and Serpent 2 speeds (there are pics too.) Its really sad that it costs $100 for the Serpent unit and a new shaft (who knows how much it costs) made by smitty on the forum. Those guys are running rear exhaust engines though. I run a OS .12 CVR and already has small wear on my 2 speed pin. I have no problems with the stock clutch though. Its been reliable. Main reason people upgrade to Centax is easier to adjust without disassembling anything.

Dan...the new 2nd gear housing in the GT4R looks like it was made out of a different material. Is looks and feels more solid. The pin also looks differently. The new pin, clutch housing is made of a shinier material. Hopefully Yokomo heard our gripes and fixed the weak pin. My RB motor is almost broken in and as soon as it does get there, I'm gonna rip on it. I am using a 4 tooth spread on the gearing so we will see how well the pin will hold up.
Old 10-29-2001, 04:47 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Let me know how it goes. I'm getting my GT4R pretty soon and sell my 2nd GT4. The CVR that I'm running now is just enough for me but I would like that extra security of knowing that the 2 speed is going to hold up to high end rear exhaust engines.
Old 11-02-2001, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If you get the new Yokomo GT-4R, you will not need to add another thing to your car. We just had the Roar Region 9 Champ. race this past weekend. 1st through 5th were all Yokomo's (me being 4th) I won the B main which was 20 min and bumped up to the A-main which was 30 min. I did not break a single part all weekend and I was running the stock clutch, gears and 2-speed. As a matter of fact all 5 of the top guys were running the stock 2-speed, clutch and gears. YOU DO NOT NEED ALL THAT EXTRA CRAP!!! I have had every Nitro TC on the market, except for the Kyosho, and the Yokomo is the best car I have driven.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Heres my GT4 with a Serpent Impusle 2 speed assembly.....
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo GT-4???-2-speed-top.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.